I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Ankur Ajit Butala, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Neurology
Specializes in: Adolescents (12-18 years), Adults (18+ years), Geriatrics (55+ years)
Languages: English, Spanish
Expertise: Movement Disorders, Neuropsychiatry
Dr. Ankur Butala specializes in the care of persons with complex neuropsychiatric conditions including persons with advanced Parkinson Disease or other movement or neurodegenerative disorders. Upon graduating a selective Physician-Scientist program at Albany Medical College, he joined the University of Massachusetts in an uncommon residency in both Neurology and Psychiatry. Dual-trained neuropsychiatrists such as Dr. Butala have experience with: Parkinson Disease and atypical Parkinsonism, Huntington Disease, Ataxia, Dystonia, early-onset dementia, traumatic brain injury and chronic traumatic encephalopathy, autism spectrum disorders, medication refractory mood and psychotic disorders, epilepsy and functional neurological disorders.
In residency he developed an interest in circuit-models of brain function and how non-pharmacological approaches such as Neuromodulation and brain stimulation may be used to address treatment resistant conditions. Consequently, he joined Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine as a Clinical and Research Fellow from 2015 to 2018, where he developed a skill set including deep brain stimulation, non-invasive brain stimulation (tDCS) and measurement of eye movements.
Currently Dr. Butala's clinical and research interests are in the diagnosis and management of persons with advanced Parkinson Disease, movement disorders and neuropsychiatric conditions using neuromodulation, cannabinoids and entheogens.
- Assistant Professor of Neurology
- Assistant Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
- MD, Albany Medical College of Union University (2008)
- University of Massachusetts Medical Center (2014)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Movement Disorders (2018)
- American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology / Neurology (2014)
- American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology / Psychiatry-General (2014)
Research & Publications
Jun-O'Connell AH, Butala A, Morales IB, Henniger N, Deligiannidis KM, Byatt N, et al. The Prevelaence of Bipolar Disorders and Association With Quality of LIfe in a Cohort of Patients With Multiple Sclerosis. The Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences. 2017;29(1):45-51. Epub 2016/08/20. doi:10.1176/appi.neuropsych.15120403. PubMed PMID: 27539374;PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC5288280. Co-First Author
Ilg W, Branscheidt M, Butala A, Celnik P, de Paola L, Horak FB, Schols L, Teive HA, Vogel A, Zee DS, Timmann D. Consensus paper: Neurophysiological assessments of ataxias in daily practice. Cerebellum. 2018. Epub pending.
Activities & Honors
- Alpha Omega Honor Medical Society, Alpha Omega, 2014
- Outstanding House Office Award, UMass Memorial Medical Center, 2014
- American Psychiatric Association
- American Neuropsychiatric Association
- American Academy of Neurology
- International Parkinson and Movement Disorder Society
- Alpha Omega Alpha