I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Eric Biondi, M.D., M.S.
Director, Pediatric Hospital Medicine Division
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
1800 Orleans St. The Charlotte R. Bloomberg Children's Center Building Baltimore, MD 21287
Dr. Biondi joined Johns Hopkins Children’s Center in 2017 as the inaugural division director of Pediatric Hospital Medicine.
He completed medical school at the Temple University School of Medicine in 2008 and his pediatrics residency from the University of Rochester in 2011. Following his residency, he became a faculty member and pediatric hospitalist at The University of Rochester Medical Center. The first few years of his academic career were spent developing best practices through outcomes research in the diagnosis and management of infants admitted with fever, children hospitalized with community-acquired pneumonia and other common medical conditions. After numerous publications, he became interested in the dissemination and implementation of knowledge and has designed and led quality improvement projects for many common illnesses including bronchiolitis, asthma, pneumonia and others. He serves on the Steering Committee of the American Academy of Pediatrics' Value-in-Inpatient Pediatrics quality improvement network and has led quality initiatives of >100 participating sites designed to standardize and improve inpatient and emergency room care for children across the U.S.
In 2015, Dr. Biondi became the Performance Improvement Officer of Golisano Children's Hospital at UR Medicine as he transitioned from quality improvement into hospital operations, focusing his efforts and experience on improving hospital efficiency, decreasing costs, and improving capacity and throughput. He obtained his Masters of Business Administration with a focus on Healthcare Management from the University of Rochester and used this to develop and expand inpatient programs in the hospital such as the reduction of unnecessary routine lab testing, avoidance of low-value transfers to the PICU from the general floors, and the development of a pediatric inpatient complex care service to better care for hospitalized children of medical complexity.
Since his arrival to Johns Hopkins, Dr. Biondi has led the development of a new Division of Pediatric Hospital Medicine, which is responsible for managing several inpatient teaching teams, a robust surgical consultation service and, most recently, has integrated with a nearby community hospital.
A national leader in his field, he is a frequent invited lecturer, and serves on the Executive Committee of the Section on Hospital Medicine with the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- Director, Pediatric Hospital Medicine Division
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Departments / Divisions
- Pediatrics - Division of Hospital Medicine
- MD; Medicine, Temple University School of Medicine (2008)
- University of Rochester Medical Center / Pediatrics (2011)
- American Board of Pediatrics / Pediatrics (2011)
Activities & Honors
- Ruth Lawrence Faculty Service Award for Innovation in Medical Education, University of Rochester, 2012
- Outstanding Hospital Faculty Teaching Award, University of Rochester, 2012
- Rochester Business Journal Forty Under 40 Award, Rochester Business Journal, 2012
- Board Excellence Award for Quality Improvement, University of Rochester, 2013
- Young Investigator Award, Academic Pediatric Association, 2014
- Beta Gamma Sigma Member (top 10% of business school graduates), International Business Honor Society, 2015
- Pinnacle Award for Quality and Patient Safety, The Hospital Association of New York State, 2015
- National Award for Outstanding Quality Improvement Project, Pediatric Hospital Medicine Annual Meeting, 2016