I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Daniel Brennan, M.D.
Daniel Conlon Brennan, M.D.
Medical Director, Comprehensive Transplant Center
Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Kidney Transplant, Transplant Medicine
Research Interests: Viral infections; Immunosuppression therapy; Pharmacoeconomics; Outcomes research; Transplantation; Transplants
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-5045
720 Rutland Avenue
Ross Research Building, Suite 771B
Baltimore, MD 21205 map
Daniel C. Brennan, M.D., joins the Johns Hopkins Division of Renal Medicine as professor of nephrology and medical director of the Comprehensive Transplant Center. Dr. Brennan’s areas of clinical expertise include transplant nephrology and renal disease.
Prior to joining Johns Hopkins, Dr. Brennan was the Alan A. and Edith L. Wolff Professor of renal Diseases at Washington University and the Director of Transplant Nephrology at the Washington University School of Medicine. He received his undergraduate degree from Cornell College and earned his medical degree at the University of Iowa, where he completed a residency in internal medicine. He then completed research and clinical nephrology fellowships at Brigham & Women’s Hospital/Harvard Medical School.
Dr. Brennan holds professional memberships at various organizations, including the American College of Physicians, the International Society of Nephrology, the American Society of Nephrology, The Transplantation Society, the American Society of Transplant Physicians and the American Society of Clinical Investigation.
- Medical Director, Comprehensive Transplant Center
- Professor of Medicine
Centers & Institutes
- MD; Medicine, University Of Iowa College Of Medicine (1985)
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics / Internal Medicine (1988)
- Brigham and Womens' Hospital / Nephrology (1992)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1988)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Nephrology (1992)
Research & Publications
Dr. Brennan’s research interests include viral diseases, especially CMV and BK, in kidney transplant patients, the role of induction therapy, islet transplantation, and pharmacoeconomics and outcomes.
Activities & Honors
- Senior Clinical Investigator, American Society of Transplantation, 2016 - 2016
- Distinguished Alumni Leadership and Service Award, Cornell College, 2011
- Neville Grant Award for Clinical Excellence, Barnes-Jewish Hospital/Washington University School of Medicine, 2011
- American Society of Clinical Investigation (ASCI), 2004 - 2004
- American Society of Transplantation Clinical Science Award, 2003 - 2003
- National Kidney Foundation Award of Excellence, 2003 - 2003
- Young Investigator Award, American Society of Transplantation, 1999 - 1999
- Alan A. and Edith L. Wolff Professor of Renal Diseases, Washington University School of Medicine
- American College of Physicians
- International Society of Nephrology
- American Society of Transplant Physicians
- Transplantation Society
- FDA Kidney Health Initiative (KHI)
- American Society of Nephrology
- National Kidney Foundation
- United Network of Organ Sharing (UNOS)
- American Society of Clinical Investigation (ASCI)
- Ad Hoc study reviewer, NIH
- Advisory Committee on Blood and Tissue Safety and Availability (ACBTSA) for HRSA
- The Transplant Society (TTS)
- Deputy Editor, Transplantation, 2015
- Editor-in-Chief, Nephrology, UpToDate, 2006
- Editor, Transplant Section, UpToDate, 1999
- Editorial Board, Transplantation, 1998
- Associate Editor, American Journal of Transplantation, 2007