I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
David J. McConkey, Ph.D.
Director, Johns Hopkins Greenberg Bladder Cancer Institute
Professor of Urology
David J. McConkey, Ph.D., is the inaugural director of the Johns Hopkins Greenberg Bladder Cancer Institute and professor in the Department of Urology at Johns Hopkins Medicine. His mission is to make the Institute a hub of an institutional and international community of researchers who share a commitment to advancing the scientific understanding of bladder cancer and improving its treatment.
- Director, Johns Hopkins Greenberg Bladder Cancer Institute
- Professor of Urology
Departments / Divisions
- B.A., Brown University (Rhode Island) (1986)
- Ph.D., Karolinska Institutet (Sweden) (1989)
Research & Publications
Research in Dr. McConkey’s laboratory is focused on defining the molecular mechanisms involved in bladder cancer progression and developing novel therapies for muscle-invasive disease. In current efforts he is using whole genome approaches to define the molecular heterogeneity in muscle-invasive bladder cancers and defining the molecular mechanisms that dictate sensitivity and resistance to conventional cisplatin-based combination chemotherapy, EGFR and FGFR inhibitors, and proteasome inhibitors. He is Chair for Translational Medicine in the Southwest Oncology Group’s GU Subcommittee and has been actively involved in TCGA’s Bladder Cancer Analysis Working Group.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Guo CC, Dadhania V, Zhang L, Majewski , Bondaruk J, Sykulski M, Wronowska W, Gambin A, Wang Y, Zhang S, Fuentes-Mattei E, Kamat AM, Dinney C, Siefker-Radtke A, Choi W, Baggerly KA, McConkey D, Weinstein JN, Czerniak B. Gene expression profile of the clinically aggressive micropapillary variant of bladder cancer. Eur. Urol. 2016. e-Pub ahead of print. PMID: 26988609
Plimack ER, Dunbrack RL, Brennan TA, Andrake MD, Zhou Y, McConkey DJ, Miller VA, et al. Defects in DNA repair genes predict response to neoadjuvant cisplatin-based chemotherapy in muscle-invasiv bladder cancer. Eur Urol. 2015:68(6):959-67. e-Pub ahead of print. PMCID: PMC4764095
McConkey DJ, Choi W, Shen Y, Lee IL, Porten S, Matin SF, Kamat AM, Corn P, Milikan RE, Dinney C, Czerniak B, Siefker-Radtke AO. A prognostic gene expression signature in the molecular classification of chemotherapy-naïve urothelial cancer is predictive of clinical outcomes from neoadjuvant chemotherapy: A phase 2 trial of dose-dense methotrexate, vinblastine, doxorubicin, and cisplatin with bevacizumab in urothelial cancer. Eur Urol. 2016:69(5):855-62. PMCID: PMC4775435
Choi W, Porten S, Kim SH, Roth B, Cheng T, Willis D, Tran MN, Lee IL, Melquist J, Bondaruk JE, McConkey DJ. Identification of distinct basal and luminal subtypes of muscle-invasive bladder cancer with different sensitivities to frontline chemotherapy. Cancer Cell. 2014:25(2):152-65. PMCID: PMC4011497
The Cancer Genome Atlas research network contributed collectively to this study: Weinstein JN, Akbani R, Broom BM, Wang W, …McConkey DJ…. Comprehensive molecular characterization of urothelial carcinoma of the bladder. Nature. 2014:507(7492):315-22. PMCID: PMC3962515.
Activities & Honors
- American Scandinavian Foundation Fellowship, 1986
- Cancer Research Institute Fellowship, 1991 - 1993
- HSC Honors Convocation Recipient, 2001 - 2003
- John P. McGowen Outstanding Teacher Award, University of Texas Health Science Center, GSBS, 2001
- Educator of the Month, M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, 2002
- Award for Research Excellence, UT M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, 2003
- Finalist, Julie and Ben Rogers Award for Excellence, 2003
- Reappointed to GSBS Faculty with Highest Commendation, 2013
- Robert F. Fly Professorship of Surgical Oncology, 2014
- Sowell-Huggins Professor and Fellow in Cancer Research, 2016
- American Association for Cancer Research, 1993
- Gulf Coast Society of Toxicology, 1993 - 2003
- Society of Toxicology, 1993 - 2004
- American Association of Immunologists, 1993 - 2005
- American Society of Hematology, 1993 - 2005
- American Urological Society, 2007
- Society of Basic Urological Research, Houston, TX, 2008
- Society of Urologic Oncology, 2007
- American Society of Clinical Oncology Member, 2008
- Member, Faculty Senate, 1999
- Member, Internal Advisory Committee, AML P01 (PI: Andreeff),, 1999
- Member, Executive Committee of the Faculty Senate, 2000
- Member, Experimental Therapeutics Advisory Committee, 2000
- Member., Conflict of Interest Committee, 2001
- Member, UTMDACC CTDP Study Section, 2001
- Member, Executive Committee, Bladder Cancer SPORE, 2001
- Member, Research Laboratory Space Subcommittee, 2002
- Member, Department of Urology Chairman Search Committee, 2003
- Member, Executive Committee, Pancreatic Cancer SPORE, 2004
- Member, Postdoctoral Advisory Committee, 2008
- Member, Executive Committee of the Science Faculty, 2008
- Member, Internal Advisory Committee, Lymphoma SPORE (PI: Younes), 2008
- Member, Institutional Research Executive Committee, 2012