I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Alexius Enrique G Sandoval, M.D.
Medical Director, Multiple Sclerosis Rehabilitation Program
Languages: English, Filipino
Expertise: Cerebral Palsy, Movement Disorders, Multiple Sclerosis Rehabilitation, Neurologic Rehabilitation, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Spasticity Management, Spinal Cord Injury, Stroke Rehabilitation, Traumatic Brain Injury ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
APPOINTMENT PHONE: 443-997-5476
600 N. Wolfe Street Meyer Building 1-163 Baltimore, MD 21287
Phone: 410-614-4030 | Fax: 410-614-4033
Johns Hopkins Medicine - Green Spring Station
APPOINTMENT PHONE: 443-997-6754
10803 Falls Road Pavilion 3, Suite 2100 Lutherville, MD 21093
Alexius Sandoval, M.D., is a clinical associate in the Johns Hopkins Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. He has extensive clinical and research experience in multiple sclerosis rehabilitation and management, his primary area of focus.
Dr. Sandoval’s diverse background includes work in both inpatient and outpatient settings, and covers acute rehabilitation as well as comprehensive care units. He served as co-director of multiple sclerosis comprehensive care at Eastern Maine Medical Center — a comprehensive, coordinated MS care program in collaboration with the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.
In addition to working with patients with multiple sclerosis, Dr. Sandoval helps those with a variety of neurological disorders. He provides general rehabilitation and spasticity management to patients who have experienced stroke, traumatic brain injury or spinal cord injury. Dr. Sandoval also works with adults with cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, and other muscle tone and movement disorders.
- Medical Director, Multiple Sclerosis Rehabilitation Program
Departments / Divisions
- MD, University of the Philippines College of Medicine (1998)
- Philippine General Hospital / Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (2002)
- Vidant Medical Center / Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (2009)
- University of Washington Medical Center (2010)
- American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehab / Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (2010)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Mitiku NS, Sandoval AEG, Kraft, GH. Rehabilitation. In: Samkoff, LM, Goodman AD, editors. Multiple sclerosis and CNS inflammatory disorders 1st edition. West Sussex: Wiley-Blackwell; 2014. p. 122-133.
Sandoval A. Intrathecal baclofen pump therapy for spasticity in multiple sclerosis. MS Progress Notes. National Multiple Sclerosis Society Greater New England Chapter. Summer 2014.
Sandoval AE. Exercise in Multiple Sclerosis. Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am. 2013 Nov;24(4):605-18.
Faulk CE, Sandoval A, Draughon M, Moore D, Whitted T, Wilford R Jr. Critical gastrointestinal bleeding at an inpatient rehabilitation center: incidence, risk factors, and the role of gastrointestinal prophylaxis. PMR. 2010 Dec;2(12):1104-12.
Sandoval AE. Electrodiagnostics for Low Back Pain. Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am. 2010 Nov;21(4):767-776.
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Courses and Syllabi
Psychological Reactions to Disability
2003 - 2004
2003 - 2004
Activities & Honors
- Professional Volunteer of the Year, National Multiple Sclerosis Society Greater New England Chapter, 2012
- Resident Research Award, East Carolina University Department of PM&R, 2009
- Outstanding Resident Teaching Award, East Carolina University Department of PM&R, 2008
- American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- American Association of Neuromuscular and Electrodiagnostic Medicine
- Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers
- Member, Clinical Advisory Committee, National Multiple Sclerosis Society Greater New England Chapter, Hampden, ME, 2011
- Member, Campaign Executive Committee, Eastern Maine Medical Center Multiple Sclerosis Center Comprehensive Care, Bangor, ME, 2010
- Speaker/Lecturer, Resource Person, Member, UTI Task Force, Pitt County Memorial Hospital, Greenville, NC, 2007
Videos & Media
Multiple Sclerosis Rehabilitation | FAQ with Drs. Abbey Hughes and Alexius Sandoval
Lectures and Presentations
The Role of Rehabilitation in MS: Strategies to Improve and Maintain Function
oral, Annual Meeting of Members and Conference, Manchester, NH (10/24/2015)
National Multiple Sclerosis Society Greater New England Chapter
Rehabilitation in Multiple Sclerosis
oral, patient education activity, Waterville, ME (08/20/2016)
MS Cure Fund
Updates in Multiple Sclerosis Therapies
oral, patient education activity, Waterville, ME (09/23/2014)
MS Cure Fund
The Coexistence of Multiple Sclerosis and Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
poster, 2nd Tykeson Fellows Conference on Multiple Sclerosis, San Antonio, TX (06/04/2010)
Critical Gastrointestinal Bleeding at an Inpatient Rehabilitation Center: Prevalence, Risk Factors, and the Role of Gastrointestinal Prophylaxis.
poster, Annual Meeting, Colorado Springs, CO (02/27/2009)
Association of Academic Physiatrists
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
Connecting Specialties for Patients with Multiple Sclerosis | Restore (November 2017)
MS Muscle Spasticity: What it is And What to Do About it | Everyday Health (June 2017)
8 Steps to Better Walking With Multiple Sclerosis | Everyday Health (April 2017)