I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Lainie Rutkow, J.D., M.P.H., Ph.D.
Co-director, Johns Hopkins Center for Law and the Public’s Health
Joint Appointment in Emergency Medicine
Research Interests: Public health law; Health policy; Regulation; Legislation; Public health practice; Emergency preparedness; Chronic disease prevention; Prescription drug misuse; Tobacco control; Food policy; Legal studies; Qualitative studies; Politics and public health; Community/academic public-health partnerships ...read more
Dr. Lainie Rutkow holds a joint appointment in emergency medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She is an associate professor of health policy and management with a joint appointment in health, behavior and society at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
Dr. Rutkow was trained as a public health lawyer and researcher. Her work focuses on use of the law—including legislation, regulation and litigation—to protect and promote public health. She uses legal, qualitative and quantitative research methods to conduct research about public health law and policy, with an emphasis on emergency preparedness and chronic disease prevention.
Her additional interests include the intersection of politics and public health, public health practice and community/academic public health partnerships.
Dr. Rutkow is co-director of both the Center for Law and the Public’s Health and the MPH/JD Program. She is a core faculty member of the Center for Injury Research and Policy, the Center for Mental Health and Addiction Policy Research and the Office of Public Health Practice and Training.
Affiliated with the Eastern Region of the Network for Public Health Law, Dr. Rutkow has served as a fellow with the Committee on Government Reform in the U.S. House of Representatives and worked with the Legal Aid Society of New York’s Health Law Unit and the New York Civil Liberties Union.
Her professional honors include a 2016 Lipitz Public Health Policy Faculty Award, 2011 and 2012 Advising, Mentoring, Teaching Recognition Awards and a 2009 Student Assembly Recognition Award, all from the Bloomberg School of Public Health.
Dr. Rutkow earned her J.D. at the New York University School of Law. She earned an M.P.H. (Sommer Scholar) and a Ph.D. at the Bloomberg School of Public Health. She also holds a B.A. from Yale University.
- Co-director, Johns Hopkins Center for Law and the Public’s Health
- Co-director, MPH/JD Program, Johns Hopkins University
- Joint Appointment in Emergency Medicine
Departments / Divisions
- J.D., New York University School of Law (New York) (2004)
- M.P.H., Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (Maryland) (2005)
- Ph.D., Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (Maryland) (2009)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Chawla KS, Rutkow L, Garber K, Kushner AL, Stewart BT. "Beyond a moral obligation: a legal framework for emergency and essential surgical care and anesthesia." World J Surg. 2017 May;41(5):1208-1217. doi: 10.1007/s00268-016-3866-6
Kaufmann CN, Spira AP, Alexander GC, Rutkow L, Mojtabai R. "Emergency department visits involving benzodiazepines and non-benzodiazepine receptor agonists." Am J Emerg Med. 2017 Apr 14. pii: S0735-6757(17)30288-7. doi: 10.1016/j.ajem.2017.04.023. [Epub ahead of print]
McGinty EE, Tung G, Shulman-Laniel J, Hardy R, Rutkow L, Frattaroli S, Vernick JS. "Ignition Interlock Laws: Effects on Fatal Motor Vehicle Crashes, 1982-2013." Am J Prev Med. 2017 Apr;52(4):417-423. doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2016.10.043. Epub 2017 Jan 5
Rutkow L, Vernick JS, Alexander GC. "More states should regulate pain management clinics to promote public health." Am J Public Health. 2017 Feb;107(2):240-243. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2016.303568. No abstract available
Sell TK, Boddie C, McGinty EE, Pollack K, Smith KC, Burke TA, Rutkow L. "Media messages and perception of risk for ebola virus infection, United States." Emerg Infect Dis. 2017 Jan;23(1):108-111. doi: 10.3201/eid2301.160589
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Courses and Syllabi
Graduate Seminar in Health and Public Policy
Activities & Honors
- Lipitz Public Health Policy Faculty Award, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2016
- Advising, Mentoring, Teaching Recognition Award, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2012
- Advising, Mentoring, Teaching Recognition Award, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2011
- Student Assembly Recognition Award, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2009
- Health Policy and Management Recognition Award, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2008
- Abell Award in Urban Policy, Abell Foundation, 2007
- Sommer Scholar, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2005 - 2009