I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Alan R Cohen, M.D.
Director, American Board of Pediatric Neurological Society
Professor of Neurosurgery
Expertise: Arachnoid Cysts, Brain Cancer, Brain Tumors, Chiari Malformations, Craniosynostosis, Endoscopic Neurosurgery, Hydrocephalus, Pediatric Brain Cancer, Pediatric Brain Tumors, Pediatric Neurosurgery, Pediatric Spinal Cord Tumors, Spinal Cord Tumors, Spinal Dysraphism, Tethered Spinal Cord ...read more
Research Interests: New instruments and techniques for minimally invasive pediatric surgery
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-7337
601 N. Caroline St.
5th Floor, Neurosciences Clinic
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Cohen is the director of the Johns Hopkins Division of Pediatric Neurosurgery and the Carson-Spiro Professor of Pediatric Neurosurgery. He treats all pediatric patients, with a focus on brain tumors. Dr. Cohen sees patients at the Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center’s Neurosciences Clinic.
Dr. Cohen is a leader in developing minimally invasive techniques to enhance the safety and efficacy of selected pediatric neurosurgical procedures. To that end, his lab focuses on new instruments and techniques for minimally invasive surgery. He has authored 170 peer-reviewed journal articles and book chapters, and published two textbooks.
He is president of the Society of Neurological Surgeons and immediate past presidents of the American Society of Pediatric Neurosurgeons and Society of Neurological Surgeons. Currently, he serves as director of the American Board of Neurological Surgery and the American Board of Pediatric Neurological Society
- Director, American Board of Pediatric Neurological Society
- Director, American Board of Neurological Surgery
- Carson-Spiro Professor of Pediatric Neurosurgery
- Professor of Neurosurgery
- Professor of Oncology
- Professor of Pediatrics
- MD, Cornell University Medical College (1978)
- New York University School of Medicine / General Surgery (1980)
- New York University School of Medicine / Neurological Surgery (1987)
- National Hospitals for Neurology and Neurosurgery / Neurology (1983)
- American Board of Neurological Surgery / Neurological Surgery (1991)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Kunes J, Thompson GH, Manjila S, Poe-Kochert C, Cohen AR: Idiopathic intracranial hypertension following instrumentation for spinal deformity. Neurosurgical Focus, 2011, 4 (E20).
Huang MI, O'Riordan MA, Fitzenrider E, McDavid L, Cohen AR, Robinson S: Increased incidence of non-accidental head trauma in infants associated with the economic recession. J Neurosurgery: Pediatrics 8: 171-6, 2011. Accompanying Podcast released by J Neurosurgery: Pediatrics, August 2011.
Manjila S, Ray A, Hu Y, Cai DX, Cohen ML, Cohen AR: Embryonal tumor with abundant neuropil and true rosettes (ETANTR): two illustrative cases and review of the literature. Neurosurgical Focus, 30(1) E2, 1-8, 2011 (Cover Article).
Manjila S, Chim H, Eisele S, Chowdhry S, Gosain AK, Cohen AR: The history of the Kleeblattschadel anomaly: origin of concepts and evolution of management in the last 50 years. Neurosurgical Focus 29 (16) E8 1-8, 2010.
Cohen AR: Prediction, with restriction. Invited Editorial, J. Neurosurg Pediatrics 6:307-9, 2010.
Bahuleyan B, Manjila S, Robinson S, Cohen AR: Minimally invasive endoscopic transventricular hemispherotomy for medically intractable epilepsy. J Neurosurgery: Pediatrics 6: 536-540, 2010 (Cover Article).
Wang A, Robinson S, Cohen AR: The "swing ding: a golf-related head injury in children. J Neurosurgery: Pediatrics. 7: 111-115, 2010.
Moon K, Filis A, Cohen AR: The birth and evolution of neuroscience through dissection of the human brain. 67: 799-810, Neurosurgery, 2010.
Grotenhuis A, Cohen AR: Axel Perneczky: a remembrance. Neurosurgery 66: 1036-1038, 2010.
Moon KM, Filis A, Cohen AR: Mobile spinal ependymoma. J Neurosurgery: Pediatrics 5: 85-88. 2010, (Cover Article).
Cohen, AR: Pediatric Neurosurgery: Tricks of the Trade (Thieme)
First Prize, Association of American Publishers' PROSE Award for Professional and Scholarly Excellence, Category: Textbook in Clinical Medicine
First Prize, British Medical Association Book Awards, Category: Specialty Books
Activities & Honors
- America's Top Docs, Castle Connolly, 2016
- Best Doctors in America, Woodward White, 2016
- Research Innovation Award -Smart Start A Novel Device for Minimally Traumatic Brain Dissection, Institute for Pediatric Innovation, 2009
- Children's Miracle Network National Achievement Award for Outstanding Contributions to Patient Care Golden Stethoscope Award, Rainbow Clinical Faculty, 2007
- First Prize 2016 Book Award for Best Surgical Specialty Book, British Medical Association
- Honored Guest at CNS Annual Meeting, Congress of Neurologica Surgeons, 2017
- American Academy of Neurological Surgery
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS)
- AANS/CNS Joint Section on Pediatric Neurological Surgery
- American Board of Pediatric Neurological Surgery - Board of Directors
- American Borad of Neurological Surgery - Board of Directors
- Hydrocephalus Association, Bethesda, MD - Medial Advisory Board
- International Society of Neurosurgical Instrument Inventors - Founding Member
- International Society for Pediatric Neurosurgery
Videos & Media
Pediatric Brain Tumors - FAQs
Pediatric Brain Tumors: Declan's Story
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
Boy's skull pierced with screw in treehouse-building accident CNN Jan 26, 2018
Hopkins' Cohen Emphasizes 3 H's of Patient Care. NIH Record, December 1, 2017
On Line Seminar "Advances in the Treatment of Pediatric Brain Tumors" 3/7/2017