I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Shaun C. Desai, M.D.
Shaun Chandra Desai, M.D.
4.9 out of 5
Associate Residency Program Director
Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
Languages: English, Spanish
Expertise: Bell's Palsy, Blepharoplasty, Botulinum Toxin Injections, Brow Lift, Chemical Peels, Cosmetic Surgery, Cosmetic Surgery of the Face, Craniofacial Injuries, Craniofacial Reconstruction, Craniomaxillofacial Trauma and Reconstruction, Dermabrasion, Dermal Fillers, Eyelid Malposition, Eyelid Reconstruction, Facelift, Facial Aesthetic Surgery, Facial Cosmetic Surgery, Facial Lesions, Facial Nerve Disorders, Facial Paralysis, Facial Plastic Surgery, Facial Reanimation, Facial Reconstruction, Facial Scar Revision, Facial Trauma, Microvascular Free Tissue Transfer, Mohs Surgery, Nerve Grafting, Otolaryngology (ENT), Reconstruction of Facial Skin Cancers, Revision Rhinoplasty, Rhinoplasty, Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy, Synkinesis ...read more
Research Interests: Advanced reconstruction of the head and neck; microvascular reconstruction; clinical outcomes of septoplasty and/ or rhinoplasty; diagnosis and management of melanoma ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Health Care and Surgery Center
Appointment Phone: 301-896-3330
6420 Rockledge Drive
Bethesda, MD 20817 map
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
4940 Eastern Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 443-997-6467
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Shaun Desai, M.D., is an assistant professor of facial plastic and reconstructive surgery in the Johns Hopkins Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. Dr. Desai is part of the Kimmel Cancer Center at Sibley Memorial Hospital. He is also a consulting surgeon for the National Institutes of Health. Dr. Desai is board certified in otolaryngology by the American Board of Otolaryngology.
Dr. Desai's practice focuses exclusively on plastic surgery of the face, head and neck. Within the field of facial plastic surgery, his practice encompasses a broad spectrum of both cosmetic and reconstructive surgery. Cosmetic procedures include, but are not limited to, rhinoplasty, facial rejuvenation surgery (facelift or browlift), eyelid surgery, facial augmentation and wrinkle treatment (Botox, fillers and chemical peels). Reconstructive procedures include facial trauma management, microvascular or “free-flap” reconstruction of major head and neck defects after cancer or trauma, skin cancer reconstruction after Moh’s surgery and management of skin cancer, such as malignant melanoma.
Dr. Desai received his undergraduate and medical degree with honors at The George Washington University School of Medicine. He received an academic scholarship through an accelerated 7-year B.A./M.D. program with early acceptance to medical school from high school. Dr. Desai completed a five-year surgical residency training program in otolaryngology-head and neck surgery at Barnes-Jewish Hospital of Washington University in St. Louis, as well as an American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS) fellowship with particular training in facial plastic and microvascular reconstruction of the head and neck. While at Washington University, Dr. Desai received the distinguished Resident Teaching Award, as voted upon by his peers. And, as the Associate Residency Program Director, has been awarded the George Nager MD Faculty Teaching Award as voted upon by the Johns Hopkins Residents.
Dr. Desai is a member of AAFPRS and the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, as well as the Washington Metropolitan Ear, Nose, Throat Society. He is a reviewer for JAMA Facial Plastic Surgery and Oral Oncology.
Dr. Desai has traveled to Peru and India several times on cleft lip and palate mission trips with the Healing the Children Organization. He has received numerous travel grants for his work, including grants from AAFPRS, the American Academy of Otolaryngology and the American Head and Neck Society.
Dr. Desai’s research interests include novel and advanced methods of microvascular reconstruction of the head and neck using innovative technology. He also has an interest in the diagnosis and management of malignant melanoma. He has received several research awards and grants, including the Alpha Omega Alpha Research Award; the Doris Deford Speck and George Speck, M.D., Endowed Prize in Medical Research; the AAFPRS Ben Shuster Memorial Research Award; and the distinguished AAFPRS Leslie Burnstein Research Grant, an honor given to only two residents each year.
- Associate Residency Program Director
- Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
Departments / Divisions
- Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery - Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Surgery at Suburban Hospital
- MD, George Washington University School of Medicine (2009)
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital / Otolaryngology (2014)
- Washington University Saint Louis Department of Surgery / Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (2015)
- American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery / Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (2018)
- American Board of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery / Otolaryngology (2015)
- American Board of Otolaryngology (2015)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Jordan P. Sand, Shaun C. Desai, Gregory Branham. Septal Perforation Repair Using Polydioxanone Plates: A 10-Year Comparative Study. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 2015; 136 (4):700-703.
Yelizaveta Shnayder, Derrick Lin, Shaun C. Desai, Brian Nussenbaum, Jordan Sand, Mark Wax. Reconstruction of the Lateral Mandibular Defect. JAMA Facial Plastic Surgery, 2015; 17 (5):367-373.
Shaun C. Desai, Jordan P. Sand, Jeffrey Sharon, Gregory Branham, Brian Nussenbaum. Scalp Reconstruction: An Algorithmic Approach and Clinical Review. JAMA Facial Plastic Surgery, 2015; 17(1): 56-66.
Shaun C. Desai, Alan Sclaroff, Brian Nussenbaum. Use of Recombinant Human Bone Morphogenic Protein 2 for Mandible Reconstruction. JAMA Facial Plastic Surgery. 2013; 15 (3): 204-209.
Shaun C. Desai, Arash Moradzadeh, Gregory Branham. Anatomical evidence of microbial biofilms in an alloplastic nasal implant. Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. 2013; 37 (2):468-471.
Activities & Honors
- Leslie Burnstein Research CORE Grant, American Academy of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, 2014 - 2015
- Excellence in Teaching: Resident Teaching Award, Department of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine- 2014, 2014
- Humanitarian Travel Grant Award for Cleft Lip and Palate Mission Trip, American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery, 2014
- First Place, Resident Case Competition, Nose, Throat Society of St. Louis, 2012
- Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA), Medical Honor Society, 2007
- Research Travel Grant and Award, American Head & Neck Society (ANHS), 2008
- Doris Deford Speck and George Speck, M.D. Endowed Prize in Medical Research, George Washington University School of Medicine, 2009
- Carolyn L. Kuckstein AOA Research Award & Grant, Alpha Omega Alpha, 2008
- W. Gill. Jr Research Award & Grant, George Washington University School of Medicine, 2005
- Accelerated B.A./M.D. Academic Scholarship, George Washington University School of Medicine, 2001 - 2009
- American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 2009
- American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery, 2009
- Committee Member, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, AAO
- Healing the Children, Rocky Mountain Chapter, Cleft Lip and Palate Mission Organization, 2013
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
Basal Cell Carcinoma and Nose Reconstruction: Jen's Story. A large and complex cancer involved half of Jen's nose, calling for expert treatment to restore her health and appearance.