I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Seth Shay Martin, M.D., M.H.S.
Director, Advanced Lipid Disorders Program of the Ciccarone Center
Associate Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Abdominal Aneurysms, Arterial Occlusive Disease, Atherosclerosis, Atherosclerosis Imaging, Cardiac Disease, Cardiology, Cardiovascular Diseases, Cardiovascular Medicine, Cardiovascular Risk Stratification, Chest Pain, Clinical Cardiology, Clinical Lipidology, Coronary Artery Disease, Dyslipidemia, General Cardiology, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Cholesterol, Hypertension, Inherited Heart Diseases, Ischemic Heart Disease, Preventive Cardiology, Risk Factor Modification, Stress Testing, Subclinical Atherosclerosis, Valvular Heart Disease ...read more
Research Interests: Cardiovascular Risk Assessment; Dyslipidemia; Mobile Health Technology; Primary and secondary prevention of coronary heart disease; Individuals with a family history of heart disease; Improved strategies for management of cardiovascular risk factors; Preventive Cardiology; Atherosclerosis Imaging; Lipids ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-502-0469
600 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Seth S. Martin received his Bachelor of Science degree from Washington and Lee University, graduating summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa. He went on to earn his medical degree from the University of Pennsylvania and trained in internal medicine at Duke University.
Dr. Martin then completed a cardiology fellowship at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He was designated the Henry R. Kravis & Marie-Josée Cardiovascular Fellow and also served as a Pollin Cardiovascular Prevention Fellow. During his fellowship, Dr. Martin obtained a Master of Health Science degree at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Dr. Martin was awarded the Howard S. Silverman Research Award for originality and creativity in medical research. Additionally, he was recognized as an Up and Coming Future Star of Cardiology by the American College of Cardiology.
After completing fellowship, Dr. Martin joined the Johns Hopkins Cardiology faculty. He is a core faculty member with the Ciccarone Center for the Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease and Director of the Advanced Lipid Disorders Center. Dr. Martin also serves as an Associate Faculty member in the Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology, and Clinical Research and an Affiliate Faculty in the Malone Center for Engineering in Healthcare. He has a longstanding passion for preventive cardiology, in particular cardiovascular risk assessment, lipidology, and mobile health technology.
Dr. Martin is a dedicated clinician and clinical educator who is member of the Hopkins Bedside Medicine Faculty. He cares for patients with medical and cardiac conditions in the hospital and in the outpatient clinic. He serves as a Firm Faculty Clinical Coach and Educator with the Janeway Firm of the Osler Medical Residency. He also participates in teaching medical students and public health students.
Dr. Martin has published more than 170 articles in leading cardiology and medicine journals, as well as 15 book chapters. He contributed to an update to preventive cardiology published in Braunwald’s Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. He serves as Associate Editor for the American College of Cardiology’s Dyslipidemia Clinical Community and as an Associate Editor for the Journal of Clinical Lipidology.
Dr. Martin was selected as one of 125 faculty members, fellows, postdocs, staff and students who personify Johns Hopkins Medicine’s mission to improve the health of the community and the world by setting the standard of excellence in medical education, research and clinical care, in celebration of the 125th Johns Hopkins Medicine anniversary.
- Director, Advanced Lipid Disorders Program of the Ciccarone Center
- Associate Professor of Medicine
Centers & Institutes
- MD, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2008)
- Duke University School of Medicine / Internal Medicine (2011)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Cardiology (2015)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Cardiovascular Disease (2014)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (2011)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Martin SS, Blaha MJ, Elshazly MB, Toth PP, Kwiterovich PO, Blumenthal RS, Jones SR. Comparison of a novel method vs the Friedewald equation for estimating low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels from the standard lipid profile. JAMA. 2013 Nov 20;310(19):2061-8. doi: 10.1001/jama.2013.280532. PubMed PMID: 24240933; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4226221
Sathiyakumar V, Park J, Golozar A, Lazo M, Quispe R, Guallar E, Blumenthal RS, Jones SR, Martin SS. Fasting Versus Nonfasting and Low-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol Accuracy. Circulation. 2018 Jan 2;137(1):10-19. doi: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.117.030677. Epub 2017 Oct 16. PMID: 29038168
Martin SS, Giugliano RP, Murphy SA, Wasserman SM, Stein EA, Ceska R, Lopez-Miranda J, Georgiev B, Lorenzatti AJ, Tikkanen MJ, Sever PS, Keech AC, Pedersen TR, Sabatine MS. Comparison of Low-density Lipoprotein Cholesterol Assessment by Martin/Hopkins Estimation, Friedewald Estimation, and Preparative Ultracentrifugation: Insights From the FOURIER Trial. JAMA Cardiol. 2018 Jun 13. doi: 10.1001/jamacardio.2018.1533. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 29898218
Martin SS, Feldman DI, Blumenthal RS, Jones SR, Post WS, McKibben RA, Michos ED, Ndumele CE, Ratchford EV, Coresh J, Blaha MJ. mActive: A Randomized Clinical Trial of an Automated mHealth Intervention for Physical Activity Promotion. J Am Heart Assoc. 2015 Nov 9;4(11). pii: e002239. doi: 10.1161/JAHA.115.002239.
Plante TB, Urrea B, MacFarlane ZT, Blumenthal RS, Miller ER 3rd, Appel LJ, Martin SS. Validation of the Instant Blood Pressure Smartphone App. JAMA Intern Med. 2016 May 1;176(5):700-2. doi: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2016.0157. PubMed PMID: 26938174; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4922794.
Activities & Honors
- Robert M. Califf & Barton F. Haynes House Staff Research Award, Duke University Medical Center
- Stanley L. Blumenthal, MD Cardiology Research Award, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Up and Coming Future Stars of Cardiology, American College of Cardiology
- Howard S. Silverman Research Award for Originality & Creativity in Medical Research, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Steven N. Blair Award for Excellence in Physical Activity Research, AHA Council on Lifestyle and Cardiometabolic Health
- Anna Huffstutler Stiles Award in recognition of outstanding academic achievement and innovative thesis research, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- PJ Schafer Cardiovascular Research Award, PJ Schafer Memorial Fund
- Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis Early Career Investigator Award
- Stanford Medicine X Global Research Challenge Finalist
- Young Investigator Award, National Lipid Association
- American Heart Association
- American College of Cardiology
- Johns Hopkins Institute for Data-Intensive Engineering and Science
- The Thistle Society, Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
- The FH Foundation
- The American Society for Preventive Cardiology
Fellow and Board Member
- Lipoprotein(a) Foundation
- National Lipid Association
- Member, State Advisory Council on Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention, Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, Baltimore, MD, 2017
- Member, Lipoprotein(a) Foundation Advisory Board, Baltimore, MD, 2016
- Team Leader, American Heart Association Greater Baltimore Heart Walk, Baltimore, MD, 2014
- Chair, American Heart Association Advocacy Coordinating Committee, Maryland, 2017
- Member, American Heart Association EPI Early Career Committee, 0
- Member, American Heart Association Science Clinical Education Lifelong Learning Committee, 0
- Member, American Heart Association Statistics Committee, 0
- Board Member, The American Society of Preventive Cardiology, 0
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
Mobile App Could Help with Heart Attack Recovery, Insight, Dec. 2016