I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Patrick Forde, M.B.B.Ch.
Director, Thoracic Cancer Clinical Research Program
Associate Professor of Oncology
Languages: English, Irish
Expertise: Clinical Trials, Lung Cancer, Medical Oncology, Mesothelioma, Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer, Pulmonary Carcinoid Tumors, Small Cell Lung Cancer ...read more
Research Interests: Lung Cancer; Mesothelioma; Clinical Investigation
Dr. Forde treats patients with lung cancer, mesothelioma and other thoracic cancers. He completed training in internal medicine and oncology in Ireland prior to undertaking a further fellowship at Johns Hopkins. He is currently Associate Member of the Bloomberg~Kimmel Institute for Cancer Immunotherapy and Director of Clinical Research for lung cancer, mesothelioma, and other thoracic cancers at Johns Hopkins.
He has led development of a clinical-translational research program focused on the immuno-oncology of upper aerodigestive malignancies. Dr. Forde's research examines the role of immunotherapy for earlier stage lung cancer and his work has led to the development of several ongoing phase 3 trials.
He leads several international phase 2 and 3 clinical trials of novel immunotherapy approaches for lung cancer and mesothelioma that are currently active in Europe, Asia and North America while also serving as principal investigator for the thoracic cancer immunobiology biospecimen repository at Johns Hopkins. He is focused on providing compassionate, state of the art care for his patients in conjunction with a team of oncology specialist nurses, nurse practitioners and dedicated staff.
- Director, Thoracic Cancer Clinical Research Program
- Associate Professor of Oncology
- MBBCh, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (2004)
- Royal College of Physicians Ireland / Internal Medicine (2007)
- Mater Misericordiae University Hospital / Medical Oncology (2008)
- Beaumont Hospital / Medical Oncology (2009)
- Cork University Hospital / Medical Oncology (2010)
- St James's Hospital / Medical Oncology (2011)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Oncology (2014)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Forde PM, Chaft JE, Smith KN, et al. Neoadjuvant PD-1 Blockade in Resectable Lung Cancer. N Engl J Med. 2018 May 24;378(21):1976-1986. PMID:29658848
Cottrell TR, Thompson ED, Forde PM, et al. Pathologic features of response to neoadjuvant anti-PD-1 in resected non-small-cell lung carcinoma: a proposal for quantitative immune-related pathologic response criteria (irPRC). Ann Oncol. 2018 Aug 1;29(8):1853-1860 PMID: 29982279
Anagnostou V, Forde PM, White JR, et al. Dynamics of Tumor and Immune Responses during Immune Checkpoint Blockade in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Cancer Res. 2019 Mar 15;79(6):1214-1225. PMID: 30541742
Rosner S, Reuss JE, Forde PM. PD-1 Blockade in Early-Stage Lung Cancer. Annu Rev Med. 2019 Jan 27;70:425-435. PMID: 30355264
Activities & Honors
- Fellowship Award, International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer (IASLC), 2013
- Career Development Award, LUNGevity Lung Cancer Foundation, 2014 - 2017
- Paul Carbone MD Fellowship Award, 2013
- Director's Teaching Award in Clinical Science, SKCCC, 2014 - 2015
- AACR-SU2C Phillip A. Sharp Innovation in Collaboration Award, 2016
- ESMO Travel Award, 2016
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer
- Society for Immunotherapy of Cancer
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
2018 TIME magazine (April 16), New Studies Show Immune Treatments Could Be Key in the Fight Against Lung Cancer. Interviewed for article reporting on Forde et al. NEJM paper
2018 USA Today (April 16), New studies show hope for turning immune system against lung cancer. Interviewed for article reporting on Forde et al. NEJM paper.
2018 ScienceDaily.com (April 16), Drug reduces size of some lung cancer tumors, relapse rate after surgery. Interviewed for article reporting on Forde et al. NEJM paper.
2017 Oncology Times (August 25). Interviewed for article on my research entitled "Pre-op delivery of checkpoint inhibitor shrinks tumors in nearly half of patient".