I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Peter Bela Illei, M.D.
Associate Professor of Pathology
Languages: English, German, Hungarian
Expertise: Cytopathology, Pathology, Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Pulmonary Pathology, Transplant Pathology
Research Interests: Pathology of thoracic diseases; pathology of lung transplantation; Development of biomarkers for thoracic neoplasms.
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
600 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Peter Bela Illei is an associate professor of pathology in the Division of Cytopathology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His areas of clinical expertise include pulmonary pathology, transplant pathology, cytopathology and lung cancer biomarkers.
Dr. Illei earned his medical degree from University of Pécs School of Medicine. He completed his residency at New York University Medical Center in pathology and performed a fellowship in oncologic pathology and cytopathology at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
Dr. Illei’s research interests include development of novel immunohistochemical and molecular markers for the diagnosis of solid tissue tumors, pathology of lung cancer and mesothelioma, as well as lung transplantation.
- Associate Professor of Pathology
- Associate Professor of Oncology
Centers & Institutes
- MD, University of Pecs Medical School (1988)
- New York University Medical Center / Pathology - Anatomic & Clinical (1998)
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center / Oncologic Pathology (2000)
- American Board of Pathology / Anatomic Pathology (2000)
- American Board of Pathology / Cytopathology (2001)
Research & Publications
Dr. Illei’s research focuses on the immunohistochemichal and molecular characterization of lung cancers and mesothelioma.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Illei PB, Wong W, Wu N, Chu L, Gupta R, Schulze K, Gubens MA. ALK Testing Trends and Patterns Among Community Practices in the United States. JCO Precision Oncol. Epub Oct. 8, 2018.
Xing D, Banet N, Sharma R, Vang R, Ronnett BM, Illei PB. Aberrant Pax-8 expression in well-differentiated papillary mesothelioma and malignant mesothelioma of the peritoneum: a clinicopathologic study. Hum Pathol. 2017 Dec 11. [Epub ahead of print]
Illei PB, Belchis D, Tseng LH, Nguyen D, De Marchi F, Haly L, Riel S, Beierl K, Zheng G, Brahmer JR, Askin FB, Gocke CD, Eshleman JR, Forde PM and Ling MT. Clinical mutational profiling of 1006 lung cancers by next generation sequencing. Oncotarget. 5/20/2017 [Epub ahead of print].
Illei PB, Rusch V, Zakowski MF, Ladanyi M: Homozygous Deletion of CDKN2A and Co-Deletion of the Methylthioadenosine Phosphorylase Gene in the Majority of Pleural Mesotheliomas. Clin Can Res. 2003 Jun;9(6):2108-13.
Bishop JA, Sharma R, Illei PB. Napsin A and thyroid transcription factor-1 expression in carcinomas of the lung, breast, pancreas, colon, kidney, thyroid, and malignant mesothelioma. Hum Pathol. 2010 Jan;41(1):20-5. Epub 2009 Sep 8.
Activities & Honors
- Pulmonary Pathology Society First Prize, United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, 2002
- Poster Award, International Congress of the International Academy of Pathology, 1996
- First Prize Young Clinical Investigator, Postgraduate Medical School, 1990
- International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer (IASLC)
- Pulmonary Pathology Society (PPS)
- US-Canadian Academy of Pathology (USCAP)
- American Society of Cytopathology (ASC)
- Americn Society of Clinical Oncology