I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Pradeep Yammanuru Ramulu, M.D., Ph.D.
Chief, Glaucoma Division
Professor of Ophthalmology
Languages: English, Spanish, Telugu
Expertise: Cataracts, Comprehensive Medical and Surgical Ophthalmology, Glaucoma, Glaucoma Surgery, Ophthalmology, Pediatric Glaucoma
Research Interests: Visual Disability and Rehabilitation; Dry Eye; Glaucoma; Aging and Vision
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-6052
600 N. Wolfe Street
Wilmer Eye Institute
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Ramulu, Professor of Ophthalmology at the Wilmer Eye Institute, grew up in suburban Chicago, and became interested in the eye during medical school, during which time he studied the genes and proteins of the eye with Dr. Jeremy Nathans. After pursuing a residency in ophthalmology and fellowship training in glaucoma, he joined the Wilmer glaucoma faculty in 2006, where he specializes in caring for both routine and complex glaucomas, including glaucomas requiring repeat operations, glaucoma occurring in the context of corneal or retinal disease and glaucoma occurring in newborns and young children.
Dr. Ramulu's research focuses primarily on how glaucoma affects the individual. Specifically, he has studied the types of difficulties that glaucoma patients experience with regards to reading, walking, falling, driving and traveling outside the home. His long-term interests are to understand when and how glaucoma should be treated based on a more complete understanding of how patients are affected by their disease. Additionally, his work is geared toward developing rehabilitative strategies for individuals with severe vision loss from glaucoma and in developing recommendations to increase the safety and quality of life of all individuals with glaucoma.
- Chief, Glaucoma Division
- Professor of Ophthalmology
Centers & Institutes
- MD PhD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2002)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Ophthalmology (2006)
- Bascom Palmer Eye Institute of the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine / Glaucoma (2007)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
(10 papers from a list of over 40 peer reviewed publications)
1. Kavitha S, Zebardast N, Palaniswamy K, Wojciechowski R, Chan ES, Friedman DS, Venkatesh R, Ramulu PY. Family history is a strong risk factor for prevalent angle closure in a South Indian population. Ophthalmology. In press.
2. Brown JC, Goldstein JE, Chan TL, Massof R, Ramulu PY, and the Low Vision Research Network Study Group. Description of Functional Complaints in Patients Seeking Outpatient Low Vision Services in the United States. Ophthalmology. In press.
3. Sherrod CE, Vitale SE, Frick KD, Ramulu PY. The association of vision loss with work status in the United States. JAMA Ophthalmology. In press.
4. Sengupta S, van Landingham SW, Solomon SD, Do DV, Friedman DS, Ramulu PY. Driving habits in older patients with central vision loss. Ophthalmology. 2014;121(3):727-32.
5. Mathews PM, Ramulu PY, Friedman DS, Utine CA, Akpek EK. Evaluation of Ocular Surface Disease in Patients with Glaucoma. Ophthalmology. 2013;120(11):2241-8.
6. Ramulu PY, Swenor BK, Jefferys JL, Friedman DS, Rubin GS. Difficulty with Out-loud and Silent Reading in Glaucoma. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science. 2013;54(1):666-72.
7. Ramulu PY, van Landingham SW, Massof RW, Chan ES, Ferrucci L, Friedman DS. Fear of Falling in Glaucoma. Ophthalmology. 2012;119(7):1352-8.
8. Ramulu PY, Maul E, Hochberg C, Chan ES, Ferrucci L, Friedman DS. Real-World Assessment of Walking and Physical Activity in Glaucoma Using an Accelerometer. Ophthalmology. 2012;119(6):1159-66.
9. Willis JR, Jefferys JL, Vitale S, Ramulu PY. Visual Impairment, Uncorrected Refractive Error, and Accelerometer-Defined Physical Activity in the United States. Archives of Ophthalmol. 2012;130(3):329-35.
10. Ramulu, PY. Glaucoma and Disability: Which tasks are affected, and at what stage of disease? Curr Opin Ophthalmol. 2009;20(2):92-8.
Activities & Honors
- Dennis W. Jahnigen Career Development Scholars Award, 2009
- Career Development Award, American Glaucoma Society, 2008
- Secretariat Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2008
- Heed Fellowship in Ophthalmology, 2006
- Outstanding Senior Resident, Wilmer Eye Institute / Greater Baltimore Medical Center, 2006
- American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2003
- American Glaucoma Society, 2007
- Association for Research and Vision in Ophthalmology (ARVO), 2002
- Achievement Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Day Organization Committee, Glaucoma Subspecialty
- Editorial Board, CBMC Ophthalmology
- Public Policy Committee, Glaucoma Subspecialty
- Research and Regulatory Committee, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Secretariat Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology
Videos & Media
Decreasing Glaucoma's Impact
International Research: Angle-Closure Glaucoma in Asia