I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Esther Seunghee Oh, M.D., Ph.D.
Associate Director, Johns Hopkins Memory and Alzheimer's Treatment Center
Associate Professor of Medicine
Languages: English, Korean
Expertise: Clinical Care of Older Adults, Cognitive Decline in Older Adults, Geriatric Medicine, Geriatric Psychiatry, Mood Disorders, Perioperative Care of Older Adults ...read more
Research Interests: Development of biomarkers for different stages of dementia, as markers of early detection as well as for markers of treatment response ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
APPOINTMENT PHONE: 410-550-6337
5200 Eastern Ave. The Center for Transformative Geriatric Research, Mason F. Lord Building, Center Tower, Floor 7 Baltimore, MD 21224
Phone: 410-550-6337 | Fax: 410-550-8701
Dr. Esther Oh is an Associate Professor of Medicine, Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences and Pathology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Her areas of clinical expertise is in evaluation and management of memory disorders. She has an extensive experience in evaluating memory disorders in older adults with multiple chronic diseases, and takes and integrative approach in the treatment of memory disorders.
Dr. Oh also serves as the associate director of the Johns Hopkins Memory and Alzheimer’s Treatment Center.
Dr. Oh earned her M.D. from the UHS/Chicago Medical School. She completed her residency in internal medicine at the University of Illinois at Chicago where she was a chief resident. She completed a fellowship in geriatric medicine and gerontology at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, and received her Ph.D. from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
Dr. Oh has received numerous awards including the Merck New Investigator Award, AFAR New Investigator Award in Alzheimer’s disease, and the Johns Hopkins Clinical Research Scholars Award. She is also a recipient of several major grants from the National Institute on Aging (NIA). She has also been honored for her teaching by Excellence in Teaching Award in the Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology in 2013 and 2017.
Dr. Oh’s research is primarily focused on Alzheimer’s disease and related disorders. Her current projects include: development of biomarkers for detecting early stages of Alzheimer’s disease; understanding the interrelationship between delirium and Alzheimer’s disease; cognitive changes after surgery; and understanding the role of sensory problems (hearing and vestibular function) in Alzheimer’s disease.
Dr. Oh is certified in geriatrics and internal medicine by the American Board of Internal Medicine.
- Associate Director, Johns Hopkins Memory and Alzheimer's Treatment Center
- Associate Professor of Medicine
- Assistant Professor of Pathology
- Joint Appointment in Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Departments / Divisions
- MD, Chicago Medical School/Univ of Hlth Science (1998)
- University of Illinois at Chicago / Internal Medicine (2002)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology (2005)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (2001)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Oh E, Li M, Fafowora T, Inouye S, Chen C, Rosman L, Lyketsos C, Sieber F, Puhan M. Preoperative risk factors for postoperative delirium following hip fracture repair: A systematic review. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 2015; 30(9):900-910. PMID 25503071 PMCID 4465414
Oh ES,Marano CM, Leoutsakos JM, Lee RW, Rissman RA, Smith GS, Craft S, Lyketsos CG, Oral glucose tolerance testing to modulate plasma amyloid levels: A novel biomarker. Alzheimer’s and Dementia: Diagnosis, Assessment & Disease Monitoring, the journal of the Alzheimer’s Association. 2015 Sep; 1(3):311-315. PMID 26413562 PMCID 4578701
Oh ES, Sieber F, Leoutsakos JM, Inouye S, Lee HB, Sex differences in hip fracture surgery: preoperative risk factors of delirium and postoperative outcomes. J Am Geriatr Soc 2016 Aug;64(8):1616-21 PMID 27384742
Lee HB, Oldham M, Sieber F, Oh ES. Impact of Delirium After Hip Fracture Surgery on One-Year Mortality in Patients With or Without Dementia: A Case of Effect Modification. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 2017 Mar;25(3):308-315, PMID 27838314
Oh ES, Fong TG, Hshieh TT, Inouye SK, Delirium in Older Persons: Advances in Diagnosis and Treatment. JAMA 2017 Sept:318(12):1083-1198
Activities & Honors
- American Geriatrics Society, 2001
- Christian Medical & Dental Associations, 1996
- International College of Geriatric Psychoneuropharmacology, 2010
- Society for Neuroscience, 2006
- Biologist Department of Molecular Cell Biology, American Type Culture Collection (ATCC), 1993
- Investigator Clinical Core, Johns Hopkins Alzheimers Disease Research Center, 2007
- John A. Hartford Foundation Student Researcher Molecular Neurobiology Section, National Institute on Aging, 1990
- Student Researcher Department of Microbiology, Okayama University, 1991
- Student Researcher Department of Neurobiology and Anatomy, University of Rochester, 1990
- Student Researcher National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, 1995