I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Janice Lynn Henderson, M.D.
Coordinator, Nutrition in Pregnancy Clinic
Assistant Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Expertise: Fetal Cardiology, Gynecology and Obstetrics, High Risk OB, Multiple Gestations, Obesity, Obstetrics
Research Interests: obesity in pregnancy
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-502-3200
600 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Janice Henderson is an assistant professor in the Johns Hopkins Medicine Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics and director of the Fetal Assessment Center. Her areas of clinical expertise include high-risk pregnancies and nutrition in pregnancy.
Dr. Henderson earned an undergraduate degree in life sciences and an M.D. from Queen’s University in Ontario, Canada. She continued her medical training at Queen’s, completing an internship and residency in obstetrics and gynecology. Dr. Henderson went on to perform two clinical fellowships, one at the University of Western Ontario and the other at the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine. Dr. Henderson joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2002.
Prior to joining Johns Hopkins, Dr. Henderson held the position of assistant professor of obstetrics and gynecology at Queen’s University and the title of clinical associate at Duke University.
Dr. Henderson’s research interests include obesity in pregnancy and fetal anomalies. She created the Obesity in Pregnancy Research Group at Johns Hopkins and serves as coordinator of the Nutrition in Pregnancy Clinic. She is a fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, a member of the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine and a member of the International Association for the Study of Obesity. Dr. Henderson has been recognized with numerous awards and honors, including the 2010 Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics Excellence in Teaching Award.
- Coordinator, Nutrition in Pregnancy Clinic
- Director, Fetal Assessment Center
- Assistant Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Centers & Institutes
- Fetal Assessment Center
- MD, Queen's University - Faculty of Health Sciences (1983)
- Queen's University - Faculty of Health Sciences (1988)
- Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry Schulich School of Mjedicine & Dentistry (1989)
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (1996)
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology / Maternal and Fetal Medicine (2007)
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology / Obstetrics And Gynecology (1999)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Voegtline KM, Costigan KA, Kivlighan KT, Laudenslager ML, Henderson JL, DiPietro JA. Concurrent levels of maternal salivary cortisol are unrelated to self-reported psychological measures in low-risk pregnant women. Arch Womens Ment Health. 2013 Apr;16(2):101-8
Werner EF, Pettker CM, Zuckerwise L, Reel M, Funai EF, Henderson J, Thung SF. Screening for gestational diabetes mellitus: are the criteria proposed by the international association of the Diabetes and Pregnancy Study Groups cost-effective? Diabetes Care. 2012 Mar;35(3):529-35
Mendelson T, Dipietro J, Ping C, Henderson J, Costigan K. The influence of maternal psychological factors on umbilical and uterine blood flow. J Psychosom Obstet Gynaecol. 2011; 32: 3-9.
DiPietro JA, Kivlighan KT, Costigan KA, Rubin SE, Shiffler DE, Henderson JL, Pillion JP. Prenatal antecedents of newborn neurological maturation. Child Dev.2010 Jan-Feb;81(1):115-30
Aina-Mumuney AJ, Althaus JE, Henderson JL, Blakemore MC, Johnson EA, Graham EM. Intrapartum electronic fetal monitoring and the identification of systemic fetal inflammation. J Reprod Med. 2007 Sep;52(9):762-8.
Holcroft CJ, Graham EM, Aina-Mumuney A, Rai K, Henderson JL, Penning DH. Cord Gas Analysis, Decision-to-Delivery Interval, and the 30-Minute Rule for Emergency Cesareans. J Perinatol. 2005;25:229-235
Penning DH, Dexter F, Henderson JL, Chestnut DH, Hrdy J, Poduska D, Atkins B, Reynolds JD. Bolus maternal cocaine administration does not produce a large increase in fetal sheep cerebral cortical glutamate concentration.Neurotoxicol Teratol. 1999 Mar-Apr;21(2):177-80
Van den Veyver IB, Ni J, Bowles N, Carpenter RJ, Weiner CP, Yankowitz J, Moise KJ, Henderson JL, Towbin JA. Detection of Intrauterine Viral Infection Using the Polymerase Chain Reaction.Molecular Genetics and Metabolism 63: 85-95,1998
Henderson JL, Reynolds JD, Dexter F, Atkins B, Hrdy J, Poduska D, Penning DH. Chronic Hypoxemia Causes Extracellular Glutamate Concentration to Increase in the Cerebral Cortex of the Near-Term Fetal Sheep. Developmental Brain Research 105 (2): 287-293, 1998.
Book Chapters, Monographs
- Henderson JL, Weiner C. Cordocentesis. In: Gynecology and Obstetrics - Sciarra (ed.), 1996.
- Smith MH, Henderson JL. Congenital Anomalies. In, The Johns Hopkins Manual of Gynecology and Obstetrics, 3rd edition, ed Fortner KB, Szymanski LM, Fox HE, Wallach EE, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA 2007; pp152-60.
- Russo ML, Henderson JL. Costigan KA. Fetal Assessment, The Johns Hopkins Manual of Gynecology and Obstetrics, 4th edition, ed Bienstock JL, Fox HE, Wallach EE, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA, November 2010.
- Jones VA, Henderson JL. Gestational Complications, The Johns Hopkins Manual of Gynecology and Obstetrics, 4th edition, ed Bienstock JL, Fox HE, Wallach EE, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA, November 2010.
Activities & Honors
- Anniversary Scholarship, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada, 1975
- Travel Award, Professional Association of Interns and Residents of Ontario, 1991
- Faculty Teaching Award, CREOG, 2007
- Award for Excellence in Teaching Medical Students, Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics, 2010
- Excellence in Teaching, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2005 - 2012
- Society for Maternal Fetal Medicine
- American Congress of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ACOG)
- The Obesity Society
- International Association for the Study of Obesity
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
- Nutrition in Pregnancy: A Weighty Issue, Recorded online seminar (09/2012)