I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Allan Gottschalk, M.D., Ph.D.
Director, Postdoctoral Research Training Program, Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Research Interests: Acute perioperative pain; Nonlinear dynamics of respiratory pattern generation; Informational aspects of sensory perception and the representation of sensory input; Biophysical models of general anesthetic action on the central nervous system; Neuropathic pain ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
Appointment Phone: 410-955-2611
1800 Orleans St.
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Allan Gottschalk is an associate professor of anesthesiology and critical care medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His areas of clinical expertise include anesthesiology. Dr. Gottschalk serves as the director of the Postdoctoral Research Training Program in the Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine.
Dr. Gottschalk received his undergraduate degree in biomedical engineering from Boston University and his M.S. in systems engineering and biomedical engineering from the University of Pennsylvania. He earned his M.D. and Ph.D. from the University of Pennsylvania. He completed his residency at the University of Pennsylvania and performed a research fellowship at the University of Pennsylvania Department of Anesthesia. Dr. Gottschalk joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2001.
Prior to joining Johns Hopkins, Dr. Gottschalk was an assistant professor of anesthesia at the University of Pennsylvania. There, he was also a member of the Sleep Center, the Vision Center and the Institute for Neuroscience.
Dr. Gottschalk serves on the editorial boards of several journals, including The Scientific World Journal and World Journal of Anesthesiology. He was recognized by Johns Hopkins with a Service Excellence Award in 2011. He is a member of numerous professional organizations, including the American Association for the Advancement of Science and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers.
- Director, Postdoctoral Research Training Program, Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
- Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
- Professor of Neurosurgery
Departments / Divisions
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania - REGISTRAR (1984)
- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania - REGISTRAR / Anesthesiology (1987)
- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania - REGISTRAR / Anesthesiology (1989)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Anesthesiology (1990)
Research & Publications
A research faculty member in the cerebroscience and pain programs at the Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Dr. Gottschalk investigates the mechanism of chronic pain associated with nerve injury, also known as neuropathic pain.
As an affiliated faculty member at the Institute for Computational Medicine, he is interested in biophysical models of general anesthetic action on the central nervous system; informational aspects of sensory perception and the representation of sensory input; nonlinear dynamics of respiratory pattern generation; and acute perioperative pain.
- Papangelou A, Radzik BR, Smith T, Gottschalk A. "A review of scalp blockade for cranial surgery." J Clin Anesth. 2013 Mar;25(2):150-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jclinane.2012.06.024. Epub 2013 Jan 23. Review.
- Ochroch EA, Vachani A, Gottschalk A, Kanetsky PA. "Natural variation in the μ-opioid gene OPRM1 predicts increased pain on third day after thoracotomy." Clin J Pain. 2012 Nov-Dec;28(9):747-54. doi: 10.1097/AJP.0b013e3182442b1c.
- Morad A, Winters B, Stevens R, White E, Weingart J, Yaster M, Gottschalk A. "The efficacy of intravenous patient-controlled analgesia after intracranial surgery of the posterior fossa: a prospective, randomized controlled trial." Anesth Analg. 2012 Feb;114(2):416-23. doi: 10.1213/ANE.0b013e31823f0c5a. Epub 2011 Dec 9.
- Sieber FE, Mears S, Lee H, Gottschalk A. "Postoperative opioid consumption and its relationship to cognitive function in older adults with hip fracture." J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011 Dec;59(12):2256-62. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2011.03729.x. Epub 2011 Nov 7.
- Lee HB, Mears SC, Rosenberg PB, Leoutsakos JM, Gottschalk A, Sieber FE. "Predisposing factors for postoperative delirium after hip fracture repair in individuals with and without dementia." J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011 Dec;59(12):2306-13. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2011.03725.x.
Activities & Honors
- Service Excellence Award, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2011
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Anesthesia Research Training Grant (T32), University of Pennsylvania, 1988 - 1989
- Lewis B. Flexner Prize in Neurobiology, Institute of Neuroscience, University of Pennsylvania, 1983
- Predoctoral Fellow, Biomedical Engineering Training Grant, University of Pennsylvania, 1981 - 1984
- Graduated Summa Cum Laude, Boston University, 1978
- Member, Tau Beta Pi (Engineering Honor Society), 1977
- Harold C. Case Scholar, Boston University, 1977
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Society of Anesthesiologists
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)
- Association of University Anesthesiologists
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- International Anesthesia Research Society
- Maryland Society of Anesthesiologists
- Maryland State Medical Society
- Society for Neuroscience
- Society of Neurosurgical Anesthesia and Critical Care
- Admissions Committee, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 1995
- Anesthesiology and Pain Management Evaluation Board, Pain Management: Acute Clinical, 2005
- Delegate, ISO (International Standards Organization), 1992
- Editorial board, World Journal of Anesthesiology, 2010
- Editorial board, Journal of Pain Research, 2008
- Editorial board: Anesthesiology, The Scientific World Journal, 2011
- Research Committee, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2012
- Standing Committee on Academic Integrity, University of Pennsylvania, 1994
- Steering Committee, University of Pennsylvania, 1998
Videos & Media
Lectures and Presentations
Post-Craniotomy Pain Management: A Model for Clinical Research Using Six Sigma