I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Philippe Edmond Gailloud, M.D.
Director, Division of Interventional Neuroradiology
Associate Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
Languages: English, French
Expertise: Acute Stroke Care, Carotid Artery Stenosis, Cerebral Aneurysms, Cerebral Revascularization, Cerebral Vascular Malformations, Cerebrovascular Diseases, Head & Neck Aneurysms, Interventional Radiology, Intracerebral Hemorrhage , Ischemic Heart Disease, Moyamoya Disease, Neurovascular Disease, Neurovascular interventions, Pediatric Neurovascular Disorders, Spinal Vascular Malformations, Stroke, Stroke Imaging, Stroke Prevention, Stroke Recovery, Stroke Rehabilitation, Sturge-Weber disease, Transient Ischemic Attack ...read more
Research Interests: Spine and Spinal Cord Vascular Disorders; Spinal Cord Stroke; Neurovascular Imaging Techniques; Pediatric Neurovascular Disorders
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
Appointment Phone: 410-955-8525
1800 Orleans St.
The Charlotte R. Bloomberg Children's Center Building, Suite 7218
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-8525
4940 Eastern Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. Philippe Edmond Gailloud is an Associate Professor in the Johns Hopkins Medicine Department of Radiology and Radiological Science, Department of Neurology and Department of Neurological Surgery. He serves as Director of the Division of Interventional Neuroradiology, Director of the Endovascular Surgical Neuroradiology Program and Co-Director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Pediatric Neurovascular Diseases.
Among his main areas of specialization are the development of interventional techniques, the percutaneous treatment of brain, spinal cord and spine lesions, and the anatomy and embryology of the cerebral vasculature. Besides the diagnosis and treatment of cerebrovascular diseases in adult patients, Dr. Gailloud also focuses on the management of neurovascular disorders in children.
Dr. Gailloud received his medical degree from the University of Geneva, Switzerland, in 1991, and completed his residency in diagnostic and interventional radiology at Geneva University Hospital in 1998. He completed a research fellowship in morphology at the University of Geneva in 1994, and clinical fellowships in diagnostic and interventional neuroradiology at Johns Hopkins. He joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2000.
Dr. Gailloud has published more than 160 peer-reviewed scientific publications and 20 book chapters on a wide range of topics related to diagnostic and interventional neuroradiology.
- Director, Division of Interventional Neuroradiology
- Director, Endovascular Surgical Neuroradiology Program
- Co-Director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Pediatric Neurovascular Diseases
- Associate Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
- Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery
- Associate Professor of Neurology
Departments / Divisions
- MD, Faculty of Medicine (1991)
- Geneve University Hospital / Radiology (1998)
- University of Geneva (1994)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Neuroradiology (2001)
- Foreign Boards
Research & Publications
profilDr. Gailloud’s research interests include interventional radiology; cerebral and head/neck aneurysms; cerebrovascular and neurovascular diseases, disorders and interventions; spinal vascular malformations; and Sturge-Weber disease.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Mohassel P, Wesselingh R, Katz Z, McArthur J, Gailloud P. "Anterior spinal artery syndrome presenting as cervical myelopathy in a patient with subclavian steal syndrome." Neurol Clin Pract. 2013 Aug;3(4):358-360.
Pearl MS, Torok CM, Messina SA, Radvany M, Rao SN, Ehtiati T, Thompson CB, Gailloud P. "Reducing radiation dose while maintaining diagnostic image quality of cerebral three-dimensional digital subtraction angiography: an in vivo study in swine." J Neurointerv Surg. 2013 Oct 11. doi: 10.1136/neurintsurg-2013-010914. [Epub ahead of print].
Gailloud P. "The artery of von haller: a constant anterior radiculomedullary artery at the upper thoracic level." Neurosurgery. 2013 Dec;73(6):1034-43. doi: 10.1227/NEU.0000000000000163.
Fasel JH, Beinemann J, Schaller K, Gailloud P. "A critical inventory of preoperative skull replicas." Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2013 Sep;95(6):401-4. doi: 10.1308/003588413X13629960046994.
Gailloud P, Miller NR. "New and emerging interventional neuroradiologic techniques for neuro-opthalmologic disorders." J Neuroophthalmol. 2013 Sep;33(3):282-95. doi: 10.1097/WNO.0b013e3182a319e7.
Activities & Honors
- Presentation Award, 6th Asian Oceanian Congress of Neuroradiology and Head & Neck Radiology, 2007
- Magna Cum Laude, European Society of Neuroradiology, 2006
- Technology Fellowship Award, Johns Hopkins University, 2005
- Excellence in Design Award, Radiological Society of North America, 2003
- Galbraith Award, Congress of Neurological Surgeons, 2002
- Prix de la Faculté de Médecine, Université de Genève (University of Geneva Medical School award for best research doctoral thesis), University of Geneva Medical School, 2001
- Magna Cum Laude, The Eastern Neuroradiological Society, 2000
- Neuroradiology Division Teaching and Research Award, Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2000
- Special Mention from the French Society of Radiology, 1997
- Annual Award of the Swiss Society of Radiology, 1997
- American College of Radiology
- American Society of Neuroradiology
- Society for NeuroInterventional Surgery