I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Noreen A Hynes, M.D., M.P.H.
Director, Geographic Medicine Center of the Division of Infectious Diseases
Associate Professor of Medicine
Languages: English, French
Expertise: Infectious Disease, Infectious Diseases, Tropical Medicine
Research Interests: Vaccine preventable diseases; epidemiology and control of tropical diseases
Dr. Noreen Hynes has over 30 years of medical and public health experience in both international and domestic settings. Her career has encompassed basic and applied research, epidemiology, public health, clinical medicine, and the regulatory aspects of medical countermeasures for emerging infectious diseases.
Dr. Hynes has been affiliated with The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions and the Schools of Medicine and Public Health University since 1997. She is currently an Associate Professor of Medicine (part time) in the School of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases and is jointly appointed in the School of Public Health in the Department of International Health. Since retiring from a 30-year career with the U.S. government in 2007, Dr. Hynes has served as the director of the new Geographic Medicine Center in the Division of Infectious Diseases in the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, as the Medical Director of the Johns Hopkins Tropical & Travel Medicine Service, and as the Baltimore Site Director for the CDC-sponsored GeoSentinel Surveillance System. Since 2002, she has taught in the Summer Institute of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene at the School of Public Health.
Dr. Hynes' research interests focus on infectious diseases at the clinical-public health interface in resource constrained settings in both tropical and temperate regions. Research projects address vaccine preventable diseases, the epidemiology of tropical diseases amongst travelers and immigrants, including emerging and reemerging infectious diseases, such as sexually transmitted infections, dengue and chikungunya.
- Director, Geographic Medicine Center of the Division of Infectious Diseases
- Medical Director, Tropical Medicine Ambulatory Consultation Service
- Medical Director, Johns Hopkins Travel Health Consultation Service
- Associate Professor of Medicine
Centers & Institutes
- Geographic Medicine Center
- Global Health, Center for
- MD, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (1985)
- Massachusetts General Hospital / Internal Medicine (1989)
- The Washington Institute (1900)
- Massachusetts General Hospital / Infectious Diseases (1990)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Infectious Disease (1996)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1991)
Research & Publications
Clinical Trial KeywordsMalaria, Dengue, Ebola, Influenza, Travel, Vaccines
Whitehead SS, Durbin AP, Pierce KK, Elwood D, McElvany BD, Fraser EA, Carmolli MP, Tibery CM, Hynes NA, et al. In randomized trial, the live attenuated tetravalent dengue vaccine TV003 is well-toleratied and highly immunogenic in subjects with flavivirus exposure prior to vaccination. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017; 11(5):e0005584. doi:10.1371/journal.pntd.0005584.eCollection 2017 May. PMID:28481883
Talaat KR, Ellis RD Hurd J, Hentrich A, Gabriel E, Hynes NA et al. Transmission blocking vaccine against Plasmodium flaciparum: An open label study in malaria naive adults. PLoS One. 2016; 11(10):e0163144.doi:10.1371/journal. pone.016344.eCollection2016.PMID27749907
Fischer WA 2nd, Hynes NA, Perl TM. Protecting health care workers from Ebola: personal protecctie equipment is critical but is not enough. Ann Intern Med. 2014. 161(10):753-4
Carus WS, Hynes NA. Prioritizing the defense department's response to biological warfare threat agents. Biosecur Bioterror. 2014; 12(6):370-372
Franco C, Hynes NA, Bouri N, Henderson DA. The dengue threat to the United States. Biosec Bioterr 2010; 8(3). 29
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Graduate Program Affiliation
Co-director, Infectious Disease Concentration, MPH Program
Activities & Honors
- Fellow, American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
- Fellow, Infectious Diseases Society of America
- Board of Trustees, Center for Excellence in Education
- Distinguished Service Medal, U.S. Public Health Service
- Secretary's Distinguished Service Award, U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services
- Vice Presidential Service Medal
- Meritorious Service Medal, U.S. Public Health Service
- Outstanding Service Medal, U.S. Public Health Service
- Commendation Medal, U.S. Public Health Service
- Citation, U.S. Public Health Service
- Crisis Response Award, U.S. Public Health Service): Terrorist attacks of 9/11/2001
- Crisis Response Award, U.S. Public Health Service): Anthrax letters attacks
- Board of Regents Award for the Outstanding Medical Officer Graduate, Uniformed Services University
- American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
- American STD Association
- Infectious Diseases Society of America
- International Society of Travel Medicine