I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Lorraine Anne Milio, M.D.
Co-Director, HALO Program
Assistant Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Expertise: Gynecology, Gynecology and Obstetrics, Multiple Gestations, Obstetrics
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
APPOINTMENT PHONE: 410-550-3020
4940 Eastern Avenue Baltimore, MD 21224
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
APPOINTMENT PHONE: 410-955-6700
1800 Orleans St. Sheikh Zayed Tower Baltimore, MD 21287
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
APPOINTMENT PHONE: 410-955-6700
601 N. Caroline St. Baltimore, MD 21287
Dr. Lorraine Milio is an assistant professor in the Johns Hopkins Medicine Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics. She serves as obstetrical director and obstetrical consultant for the Center for Addiction and Pregnancy. Dr. Milio’s areas of clinical expertise include endocrine disorders of pregnancy and HIV and pregnancy.
Dr. Milio earned her undergraduate degree in chemistry from Mount Holyoke College and her M.D. from Rush Medical College. She completed her residency in obstetrics and gynecology at New York University/Bellevue Hospital Center and performed a fellowship in maternal-fetal medicine at the University of California, San Francisco. She also holds a master’s degree in public health from The Johns Hopkins University. Dr. Milio joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 1996.
Dr. Milio is a fellow of the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and a member of the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine. She is board certified in gynecology and obstetrics, maternal-fetal medicine, and addiction medicine. Dr. Milio is a recipient of the Johns Hopkins Service Excellence Award.
- Co-Director, HALO Program
- Assistant Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
- MD, Rush Presbyterian University Medical College (1981)
- New York University School of Medicine / Obstetrics and Gynecology (1985)
- University of California San Francisco School of Medicine / Maternal & Fetal Medicine (1988)
- American Board of Addiction Medicine / Addiction Medicine (2012)
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology / OB/GYN-Maternal Fetal Medicine (1995)
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology / Obstetrics And Gynecology (1989)
Research & Publications
Jannson LM, DiPietro JA, Elko A, Williams E, Milio L, Velez M. Pregnancies exposed to methadone, methadone and other illicit substances, and poly-drugs without methadone: A comparison of fetal neurobehaviors and infant outcomes. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2012 May 1; 122(3):213-9 (PMID: 22041255)
Jansson LM, Dipietro JA, Velez M, Elko A, Williams E, Milio L, O’Grady K, Jones HE. Fetal neurobehavioral effects of exposure to methadone or buprenorphine. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2011 Mar-Apr; 33(2):240-3 Epub 2010 Sep 22. (PMID: 20868741)
Jones HE, O’Grady K, Dahne J, Johnson R, Lemoine L, Milio L, Ordean A Selby P. Management of acute postpartum pain in patients maintained on methadone or buprenorphine during pregnancy. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2009;35:151-6. (PMID: 19462298)
Jones HE, Johnson RD, O’Grady KE, Jasinski DR, Milio L. Dosing adjustments in postpartum patients maintained on buprenorphine or methadone. J Addiction Med. 2008 Jun; 2(2):103-107. (DOI: 10.1097/ADM.0b013e31815ca2c6)
Aina-Mumuney AJ, Holcroft CJ, Blakemore KJ, Bienstock JL, Hueppchen NA, Milio LA, Crino JP. Intrahepatic veins for fetal blood sampling: One center's experience. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008 Apr;198(4):387.e1-6. (PMID 18191806)
Jones HE, Johnson RE, Milio L. Post-Cesarean Pain Management of Patients Maintained on Methadone or Buprenorphine. American Journal on Addictions. 2006 May-Jun; 15(3):258-259. (PMID 16923675)
Jones HE, Johnson RE, Jasinski DR, O¹Grady K, Chisholm CA, Choo RE, Michael Crocetti M, Dudas R, Harrow C, Huestis MA, Jansson LM, Lantz M, Lester BM, Milio L. (2005). Buprenorphine versus Methadone in the Treatment of Pregnant Opioid-Dependent Patients: Effects on the Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 2005 Jul;79(1):1-10. (PMID 15943939)
- Milio LA and Comstock G. "Immunologic complications of Pregnancy". In: Manual of Obstetrics, Niswander K and Evans AT (eds) Boston, Little Brown & Co. 1990.
- Milio LA, Falls J. "Endocrine Disorders of Pregnancy", In: The Johns Hopkins Manual of Gynecology and Obstetrics, 2nd ed. Bankowski, et al, (eds). Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2002; pp 162-182.
- Silva A, Milio LA. "Endocrine Disorders of Pregnancy", In: The Johns Hopkins Manual of Gynecology and Obstetrics, 3rd ed. Fox, et al, (eds). Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2006.
- Buckley de Meritens A, Hurt JK, Milio LA. "Endocrine Disorders of Pregnancy", In: The Johns Hopkins Manual of Gynecology and Obstetrics, 4th edition, Hurt JK, Guile MW, Bienstock JL, Fox HE, Wallach EE (eds). Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2011; pp 164-185.
Activities & Honors
- Individual National Research Service Award (NIH), 1987 - 1988
- Constantine Prize, New York University Medical School, 1995
- Johns Hopkins Service Excellence Award “Catch a Shining Star”, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, 2009 - 2009
- American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine
- American Diabetes Association
- Maryland State Medical Society
- Christian Medical and Dental Associations