I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Edward George McFarland, M.D.
Wayne H. Lewis Professor of Orthopaedic and Shoulder Surgery
Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
Expertise: Anterior Shoulder Instability, Arthritis of the Shoulder, Baseball Injuries, Elbow Injuries, Elbow UCL Reconstruction, Joint Replacement, Orthopaedic Shoulder Surgery, Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedic Trauma, Pediatric and Adolescent Sports Injuries, Rotator Cuff, Rotator Cuff Injuries, Shoulder Arthroscopy, Shoulder Dislocations, Shoulder Disorders, Shoulder Fractures, Shoulder Instability Stabilization Surgery, Shoulder Joint Dislocations, Shoulder Labral Tear, Shoulder Replacement, Shoulder Surgery, Sports Injuries, Sports Injuries to the Shoulder, Superior Labrum Anterior and Posterior (SLAP) Lesions, Tendonitis of the Elbow, Tennis Elbow, Total Elbow Replacement ...read more
Research Interests: Sports shoulder injuries; Shoulder replacement surgery, primary and revision surgery; Examination of the shoulder; Epidemiology of shoulder injuries; Injuries to athlete elbow ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Medicine - Green Spring Station
Appointment Phone: 443-997-2663
10753 Falls Road
Baltimore, MD 21093 map
Dr. Edward G. McFarland is a professor of orthopaedic surgery at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. He is the Wayne H. Lewis Professor of Orthopaedics and Shoulder Surgery and serves as director of the Division of Shoulder Surgery. He specializes in the treatment of shoulder and elbow injuries.
Dr. McFarland received his B.S. in biology at Murray State University and completed his M.D. at the University of Louisville School of Medicine. He performed his residency in orthopaedic surgery at the Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, and completed a fellowship in sports medicine at the Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Group in Santa Monica, California. He joined the faculty of Johns Hopkins in 1992 as an assistant professor in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and became a full professor in 2005.
His areas of special interest include injuries to the shoulder and elbow (particularly those injuries associated with baseball and other sports), and related issues such as shoulder instability, shoulder rotator cuff problems and shoulder joint replacements. In addition to these, his research areas of interest include ligament healing, biomechanics of throwing and epidemiology of shoulder injuries.
Dr. McFarland is a member of numerous professional organizations, serves on the editorial boards of three journals and is a past president of the Association of Bone and Joint Surgeons. He has authored or co-authored over 170 peer-reviewed articles, 20 book chapters and three full books, and has won several awards for his research and service.
- Wayne H. Lewis Professor of Orthopaedic and Shoulder Surgery
- Director, Division of Shoulder Surgery
- Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
Departments / Divisions
- Orthopaedic Surgery - Shoulder Surgery
- MD, University of Louisville School of Medicine (1982)
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery / Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (2010)
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery / Orthopaedic Surgery (1990)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Sodha S, Srikumaran U, Choi K, Borade AU, McFarland EG. Clinical assessment of the dynamic labral shear test for superior labrum anterior and posterior lesions. Am J Sports Med. 2017;45(4):775-781.
Marcheggiani Muccioli GM, Huri G, Grassi A, Roberti di Sarsina T, Carbone G, Guerra E, McFarland EG, Doral MN, Marcacci M, Zaffagnini S. Surgical treatment of infected shoulder arthroplasty. A systematic review. Int Orthop. 2017 Jan 26. doi: 10.1007/s00264-017-3399-0. [Epub ahead of print] Review. PMID: 28124103
Huri G, Familiari F, Salari N, Petersen SA, Doral MN, McFarland EG. Prosthetic design of reverse shoulder arthroplasty contributes to scapular notching and instability. World J Orthop. 2016 Nov 18;7(11):738-745. PMID: 27900271
McFarland EG, Huri G, Hyun YS, Petersen SA, Srikumaran U. Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty without Bone-Grafting for Severe Glenoid Bone Loss in Patients with Osteoarthritis and Intact Rotator Cuff. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2016 Nov 2;98(21):1801-1807. PMID: 27807112
Ju DG, Mogayzel PJ Jr, Sponseller PD, Familiari F, McFarland EG. Bilateral midshaft femoral fractures in an adolescent baseball player. J Cyst Fibros. 2016 Jul;15(4):e41-3. doi: 10.1016/j.jcf.2016.02.001. PMID: 26927602
Activities & Honors
- Named “Top Doc,”, Baltimore Magazine, Baltimore MD, 2012
- Named “Top Doc,”, Baltimore Magazine, Baltimore MD, 2008
- Service Excellence Award, Health Network Foundation, Cleveland OH, 2008
- Elected to the Administrative Board, American College of Sports Medicine, 2003
- 3rd place, Resident/Fellow Basic Science Presentation, Annual Maryland Orthopaedic Association Scientific Program, 2001
- 1st place, Resident/Fellow Basic Science Presentation, Annual Maryland Orthopaedic Association Scientific Program, 2000
- Distinguished Alumnus, Murray State University, 1998
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American College of Sports Medicine
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons
- Association of Bone and Joint Surgeons
- Baltimore County Medical Association
- Eastern Orthopaedic Association
- Maryland Medical Association
- Maryland Orthopaedic Society
- National Athletic Trainers Association
- Phi Delta Epsilon Medical Fraternity
- Society for American Baseball Research
- Society for Tennis Medicine and Science
- Southern Medical Association
- Southern Orthopaedic Association
- Board of Trustees, Johns Hopkins at Green Spring Station, 2009
Department of Orthopedic Surgery
- Board of Trustees, Maryland Orthopaedic Association, 2006 - 2007
- President, Association of Bone and Joint Surgeons, 2011 - 2012
- President, Maryland Orthopaedic Association, 2007 - 2008
- Second Vice President, Association of Bone and Joint Surgeons, 2010 - 2011
- Second Vice President, The American College of Sports Medicine, 2007 - 2009
Videos & Media
Shoulder Injuries | Q&A with Dr. Edward McFarland