I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Jeremy David Walston, M.D.
Co-Director, Biology of Healthy Aging Program, Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology
Professor of Medicine
Languages: English, German
Expertise: Geriatric Medicine, Geriatric Rehabilitation
Research Interests: Biology that influences chronic inflammation; frailty and vulnerability to adverse outcomes observed in older adults; sarcopenia; inflammation; renin-angiotensin system; clinical translation and related intervention development ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-550-0925
5501 Hopkins Bayview Circle
Asthma and Allergy Center 1A.62A
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. Jeremy Walston is a professor of medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His area of clinical expertise is geriatric medicine. As part of his research focused on aging and frailty, Dr. Walston helped develop the most commonly utilized definition of frailty and used this phenotype to identify inflammatory, endocrinological and renin angiotensin system-related pathways that influence frailty and late-life decline.
At the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Dr. Walston is co-director of the Biology of Healthy Aging Program in the Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology as well as deputy director of the division. He is the Raymond and Anna Lublin Professor of Geriatric Medicine.
He received his M.D. from the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine. He completed residencies in oncology and general internal medicine at Johns Hopkins. He performed his fellowship in geriatric medicine and gerontology at Johns Hopkins.
Dr. Walston plays a leading role in setting the national aging research agenda through his leadership and participation in committees of the American Geriatrics Society and on study sections and review panels for the National Institute on Aging. He has won numerous awards for his research, including the American Geriatrics Society New Investigator Award, a Brookdale National Leadership Fellowship and Paul Beeson Physician Faculty Scholars recognition.
- Co-Director, Biology of Healthy Aging Program, Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology
- Deputy Director, Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology
- Raymond and Anna Lublin Professor of Geriatric Medicine
- Professor of Medicine
- MD; Medicine, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine (1988)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Oncology (1990)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / General Internal Medicine (1991)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology (1993)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Geriatric Medicine (1994)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1991)
Research & Publications
Dr. Walston’s research focuses on the biology that influences chronic inflammation, frailty and vulnerability to adverse outcomes observed in older adults. Working closely with a multidisciplinary group of investigators at Johns Hopkins and across the country, Dr. Walston has led developmental efforts for important conceptual frameworks surrounding frailty and risk for adverse outcomes. The results of these studies hold great promise for decreasing chronic disease burden and improving quality of life for older adults. Dr. Walston is the primary investigator for the Older Americans Independence Center (OAIC) Research Cores.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Walston JD. "Connecting age-related biological decline to frailty and late-life vulnerability." Nestle Nutr Inst Workshop Ser. 2015 Oct 20;83:1-10. [Epub ahead of print]
Robinson TN, Walston JD, Brummel NE, Deiner S, Brown CH 4th, Kennedy M, Hurria A. "Frailty for surgeons: Review of a national institute on aging conference on frailty for specialists." J Am Coll Surg. 2015 Sep 11. pii: S1072-7515(15)01489-1. doi: 10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2015.08.428. [Epub ahead of print] Review.
McAdams-DeMarco MA, Isaacs K, Darko L, Salter ML, Gupta N, King EA, Walston J, Segev DL. "Changes in frailty after kidney transplantation." J Am Geriatr Soc. 2015 Oct;63(10):2152-7. doi: 10.1111/jgs.13657. Epub 2015 Sep 29.
Piggott DA, Varadhan R, Mehta SH, Brown TT, Li H, Walston JD, Leng SX, Kirk GD. "Frailty, inflammation, and mortality among persons aging with HIV infection and injection drug use." J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2015 Sep 18. pii: glv107. [Epub ahead of print]
Theou O, Walston J, Rockwood K. "Operationalizing frailty using the frailty phenotype and deficit accumulation approaches." Interdiscip Top Gerontol Geriatr. 2015;41:66-73. doi: 10.1159/000381164. Epub 2015 Jul 17.
Activities & Honors
- Resident Teaching Award, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, 1991
- New Investigators Award, American Geriatrics Society, 1995
- Summer Training Course, University of Texas Health Science, 1995
- American Geriatrics Society Fellowship, Experimental Aging Research Center, San Antonio Pfizer, 1993 - 1995
- The Rehabilitation Accreditation Commission Certification for the Terrace, 1998
- Brookdale National Fellowship, Rehabilitation Unit (CARF), 1995 - 1998
- Paul Beeson Faculty Scholar, American Federation for Aging Research, 1998 - 2001
- Honorary Doctoral Degree, Capital University, Columbus, Ohio, 2004
- State of the Art Symposium Award, Gerontology Society of America, 2005
- Appointment to the Raymond and Anna Lublin Professorship in Medicine, 2010
- Aging Systems and Geriatrics Study Section, 2008
- American College of Physicians
- American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine
- American Diabetes Association
- American Geriatrics Society
- Bayview Scientific Advisory board, 2007
- Beeson K-23 Career Development in Aging Research, 2009
- Chase Brexton Health Services, 1999 - 2006
Board of Directors
- Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, 2008
- European Union Health Commission's 7th Research Framework Program (FP7)
- GCRC Advisory Committee, 2001
- Gerontologic Society of America
- Muscle Weakness Program, 2007
- University of Florida Older American Independent Center (OAIC), 2008
- University of Michigan Older American Independent Center (OAIC), 2006
- University of Pittsburgh American Independent Center (OAIC), 2008
- Co-Director, Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, 2008
Biology of Frailty Program
- Medical Director, Johns Hopkins Geriatrics Center, 1997 - 2003
Terrace Rehabilitation Unit
- Advisory Board Member, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center