I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Jeremy David Walston, M.D.
Raymond and Anna Lublin Professor of Geriatric Medicine & Gerontology
Professor of Medicine
Languages: English, German
Expertise: Geriatric Medicine, Geriatric Rehabilitation
Research Interests: Healthy aging and resiliency; the etiology and treatment of frailty; sarcopenia; and chronic inflammation observed in older adults; renin-angiotensin system; clinical translation and related intervention development ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
APPOINTMENT PHONE: 410-550-0925
5501 Hopkins Bayview Circle Asthma and Allergy Center 1A.62A Baltimore, MD 21224
Dr. Jeremy Walston is the Raymond and Anna Lublin Professor of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, the deputy director of the Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, the principal investigator of the Johns Hopkins Older Americans Independence Center, and the co-director of the Biology of Healthy Aging program. His research focus is on determining the biological characteristics that promote resiliency and healthy aging, and on the translation of that knowledge into diagnostic, preventive and treatment strategies that promote a long and healthy life. He has previously helped to define the most commonly utilized frailty measurement in older adults and has identified dysregulated energy metabolism and stress response pathways as characteristics of frailty. Ongoing efforts include studies that are informing how age-related changes in inflammation, mitochondria, and the renin-angiotensin system influence both resiliency and frailty in older adults. His clinical focus is in Geriatric Medicine and Rehabilitation, in developing care management pathways that better protect older adults, and in developing and promoting guidelines that help to promote a long and healthy life.
He received his M.D. from the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, and completed residency in general internal medicine and a fellowship in Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Raymond and Anna Lublin Professor of Geriatric Medicine & Gerontology
- Deputy Director, Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology
- Co-Director, Biology of Healthy Aging Program
- Professor of Medicine
- MD; Medicine, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine (1988)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Oncology (1990)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / General Internal Medicine (1991)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology (1993)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1991)
Research & Publications
Dr. Walston’s research focuses on the biology that influences chronic inflammation, frailty and vulnerability to adverse outcomes observed in older adults. Working closely with a multidisciplinary group of investigators at Johns Hopkins and across the country, Dr. Walston has led developmental efforts for important conceptual frameworks surrounding frailty and risk for adverse outcomes. The results of these studies hold great promise for decreasing chronic disease burden and improving quality of life for older adults. Dr. Walston is the primary investigator for the Older Americans Independence Center (OAIC) Research Cores.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Walston JD. "Connecting age-related biological decline to frailty and late-life vulnerability." Nestle Nutr Inst Workshop Ser. 2015 Oct 20;83:1-10. [Epub ahead of print]
Robinson TN, Walston JD, Brummel NE, Deiner S, Brown CH 4th, Kennedy M, Hurria A. "Frailty for surgeons: Review of a national institute on aging conference on frailty for specialists." J Am Coll Surg. 2015 Sep 11. pii: S1072-7515(15)01489-1. doi: 10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2015.08.428. [Epub ahead of print] Review.
McAdams-DeMarco MA, Isaacs K, Darko L, Salter ML, Gupta N, King EA, Walston J, Segev DL. "Changes in frailty after kidney transplantation." J Am Geriatr Soc. 2015 Oct;63(10):2152-7. doi: 10.1111/jgs.13657. Epub 2015 Sep 29.
Piggott DA, Varadhan R, Mehta SH, Brown TT, Li H, Walston JD, Leng SX, Kirk GD. "Frailty, inflammation, and mortality among persons aging with HIV infection and injection drug use." J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2015 Sep 18. pii: glv107. [Epub ahead of print]
Theou O, Walston J, Rockwood K. "Operationalizing frailty using the frailty phenotype and deficit accumulation approaches." Interdiscip Top Gerontol Geriatr. 2015;41:66-73. doi: 10.1159/000381164. Epub 2015 Jul 17.
Activities & Honors
- Resident Teaching Award, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, 1991
- New Investigators Award, American Geriatrics Society, 1995
- Summer Training Course, University of Texas Health Science, 1995
- American Geriatrics Society Fellowship, Experimental Aging Research Center, San Antonio Pfizer, 1993 - 1995
- The Rehabilitation Accreditation Commission Certification for the Terrace, 1998
- Brookdale National Fellowship, Rehabilitation Unit (CARF), 1995 - 1998
- Paul Beeson Faculty Scholar, American Federation for Aging Research, 1998 - 2001
- Honorary Doctoral Degree, Capital University, Columbus, Ohio, 2004
- State of the Art Symposium Award, Gerontology Society of America, 2005
- Appointment to the Raymond and Anna Lublin Professorship in Medicine, 2010
- Aging Systems and Geriatrics Study Section, 2008
- American College of Physicians
- American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine
- American Diabetes Association
- American Geriatrics Society
- Bayview Scientific Advisory board, 2007
- Beeson K-23 Career Development in Aging Research, 2009
- Chase Brexton Health Services, 1999 - 2006
Board of Directors
- Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, 2008
- European Union Health Commission's 7th Research Framework Program (FP7)
- GCRC Advisory Committee, 2001
- Gerontologic Society of America
- Muscle Weakness Program, 2007
- University of Florida Older American Independent Center (OAIC), 2008
- University of Michigan Older American Independent Center (OAIC), 2006
- University of Pittsburgh American Independent Center (OAIC), 2008
- Co-Director, Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, 2008
- Medical Director, Johns Hopkins Geriatrics Center, 1997
- Advisory Board Member, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center