I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Henry D Jampel, M.D.
Odd Fellows Professor of Ophthalmology at the Wilmer Eye Institute
Professor of Ophthalmology
Expertise: Comprehensive Medical and Surgical Ophthalmology, Glaucoma, Glaucoma Surgery, Ophthalmology
Research Interests: clinical research; glaucoma treatment; glaucoma surgical outcomes
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-6052
600 N. Wolfe Street
Wilmer Eye Institute
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Wilmer Eye Institute - Green Spring Station
Appointment Phone: 410-583-2802
10753 Falls Road
Lutherville, MD 21093 map
Henry D. Jampel, M.D., M.H.S., is the Odd Fellows Professor of Ophthalmology at the Wilmer Eye Institute. He specializes in glaucoma and serves as the medical director of Wilmer's Green Spring Station location. His research interests include evaluation of medical vs. surgical treatment of glaucoma in newly diagnosed patients and on imaging devices for the detection of glaucoma and its progression.
Dr. Jampel received his M.D. degree from Yale University and his M.H.S. in health finance and management from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. He completed an internship in internal medicine at Sinai Hospital and his residency in ophthalmology at the Wilmer Eye Institute. After completing a glaucoma fellowship in glaucoma at Wilmer, Dr. Jampel joined the faculty in 1988.
- Odd Fellows Professor of Ophthalmology at the Wilmer Eye Institute
- Chief, Wilmer Eye Institute - Green Spring Station
- Professor of Ophthalmology
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Yale University School of Medicine (1982)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Ophthalmology (1986)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Ophthalmology (1988)
- American Board of Ophthalmology / Ophthalmology (1987)
Research & Publications
Effectiveness of Screening and Treatment for Glaucoma (9/01/2009-1/24/2011) Role:Co-Investigator
National Eye Institute, Method for Glaucoma Screening in Primary Care Offices (2/1/05-1/31/08)
National Eye Institute, Early Detection of Glaucoma Damage (8/1/00-7/31/05) Role:Principal Investigator
National Eye Institute, Prevalence and impact of glaucoma among the very elderly (6/4/01-5/31/04)
National Eye Institute, Collaborative Initial Glaucoma Treatment Study (7/1/93-6/30/03) Role: Principal Investigator
National Eye Institute, Glaucoma Surgical Outcomes Study (9/1/00-8/31/02) Role: Principal Investigator
Agency for Health Care Policy and Research Management of Co-Existing Cataract and Glaucoma (10/1/99-09/30/00) Role: Principal Investigator
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Jampel. Pros and cons of using target pressures in clinical practice. In Glaucoma: Medical diagnosis and therapy, 2nd edition. Eds Shaarawy TM, Sherwood MB, Hitchings RA, and Crowston JG. Elsevier, Oxford 2015: 497.
Jampel and Brown. Evidence-based medicine in glaucoma. In Yanoff & Duker's Ophthalmology 4th edition. Elsevier, Oxford 2014: 1173-79.
Jampel H, Kalenak J. Anti-vascular endothelial growth factor injections and intraocular pressure measurement: Should we throw the baby out with the bath water? Ophthalmology 2015;122:1735-6.
Jampel HD A Quarter’s Century’s Progress in the treatment of open-angle glaucoma. Ophthalmology 2015;122:1277-9.
Combined surgery versus cataract surgery alone for eyes with cataract and glaucoma. Zhang ML, Hirunyachote P, Jampel H. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; 122:79-86.
Single vs Multiple Intraocular Pressure Measurements in Glaucoma Surgical Trials. Zhang ML, Chon BH, Wang J, Smits G, Lin SC, Ianchulev T, Jampel HD. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2014;132:956-62.
Activities & Honors
- Research to Prevent Blindness Physician-Scientist Award
- Secretariat Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2015 - 2015
- Senior Achievement Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Secretariat Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2007 - 2007
- Honor Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology, 1998 - 1998
- Research to Prevent Blindness Manpower Award, Research to Prevent Blindness, 1992 - 1992
- Heed-Knapp Fellow, 1986 - 1987
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Glaucoma Society
- American Ophthalmological Society
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- Glaucoma Research Society
- Deputy Editor-in-Chief, Ophthalmology, 2003
- Odd Fellows, Professor of Ophthalmology
- Administrative Editor, Practical Reviews in Ophthalmology
- Editorial Board, Journal of Glaucoma
- Editorial Board, Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, 2001
- Board of Directors, Sudden Cardiac Arrest Foundation, 2015
- Consultant, ForSight Vision, 2014
- Steering Group, Cochrane Eyes and Vision Group, 2002
Videos & Media
Lectures and Presentations
Arthur Light Lectureship
Named Lecture, Chicago, IL (09/07/2013)
Glaucoma Subspecialty Day Lecturer, Chicago, IL (10/18/2014)
American Academy of Ophthalmology
Robert S. Jampel Lectureship, Detroit, MI (06/14/2013)
Kresge Eye Institute
Invited lecture (09/24/2010)
Visiting Professor (01/27/2010)
Visiting Professor (05/13/2009)
Wills Eye Hospital