I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Grant James Anhalt, M.D.
Director, Dermatoimmunology Laboratory
Professor of Dermatology
Expertise: Autoimmune Skin Diseases, Dermatoimmunology, Dermatology
Research Interests: Autoimmunity; Bullous skin diseases; Pemphigus and Pemphigoid; Ulcerative oral disease
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
1800 Orleans St.
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-5933
601 N. Caroline Street
JHOC 8th Floor
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Grant Anhalt is a professor of dermatology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His areas of clinical expertise include autoimmune skin diseases and dermatoimmunology. Dr. Anhalt serves as the director of the Dermatoimmunology Laboratory at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.
He received his undergraduate degree and his M.D. from the University of Manitoba. He completed a residency in internal medicine at the Health Sciences Center in Winnipeg, Canada and a residency in dermatology at the University of Michigan. He performed a fellowship in immunodermatology at the University of Michigan Medical Center.
Dr. Anhalt joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 1982. He was interim chair of the Department of Dermatology from 1996 to 2001.
His research interests include autoimmunity, bullous skin diseases and pemphigus and pemphigoid.
Dr. Anhalt serves on the medical advisory board for the International Pemphigus & Pemphigoid Foundation. He has been recognized as a top doctor in the Washington Post Magazine, Baltimore Magazine and Castle Connolly Guide. He is a member of several professional organizations, including the American Academy of Dermatology, American Dermatologic Association and American Society for Clinical Investigation.
- Director, Dermatoimmunology Laboratory
- Professor of Dermatology
- Professor of Pathology
- MD; Medicine, University of Manitoba Faculty of Medicine (1975)
- University of Manitoba Faculty of Medicine / Internal Medicine (1977)
- University of Michigan Medical School / Dermatology (1980)
- University of Michigan Medical School (1981)
- American Board of Dermatology / Clin & Lab Dermatologic Immunology (1987)
- American Board of Dermatology / Dermatology (1980)
Research & Publications
Thorne JE, Woreta FA, Jabs DA, Anhalt GJ. "Treatment of ocular mucous membrane pemphigoid with immunosuppressive drug therapy." Ophthalmology. 2008;115:2146-2152.
Hosler, GA, Leigeois N, Anhalt GJ, Moresi JM. "Transformation of gamma/delta T cell lymphoma following 15 years of indolent behavior." J Cutaneous Pathology. 2008;35:1063-1067.
Cummins DL, Anhalt GJ, Monahan T, Meyerle JH. "Treatment of pyoderma gangrenosum with intravenous immunoglobulin." H Br J Dermatol. 2007;157:1235-1239.
Cummins DL, Mimouni D, Tzu J, Owens N, Anhalt GJ, Meyerle JH. "Lichenoid paraneoplastic pemphigus in the absence of detectable autoantibodies. J Amer Acad. Dermatol. 2007:1; 153-9.
Thorne JE, Anhalt GJ, Jabs DA, de la Cruz Z, Green WR. "Role of electron microscopy in the diagnosis of ocular mucous membrane pemphigoid." Ophthalmology. 2006;113:1651-1656.
Activities & Honors
- Silver Medal for Original Investigations, American Academy of Dermatology, 1990
- Best Doctors in America, Woodward White, 1994
- Americas Top Docs, Castle Connely Guide, 2001
- American Skin Association Award, for Research in Inflammatory Skin Diseases, 2002
- Top Docs, Baltimore Magazine, 2002
- Award for Outstanding Service, International Pemphigus Foundation, 2004
- Top Docs, Washingtonian Magazine, 2005
- Top Docs, Baltimore Magazine, 2006
- Top Docs, Washingtonian Magazine, 2007
- SuperDoctors, Washington Post Magazine, 2011
- SuperDoctors, Washington Post Magazine, 2012
- SuperDoctors, Washington Post Magazine, 2013
- American Academy of Dermatology
- American Dermatologic Association
- American Society for Clinical Investigation
- Austrian Dermatologic Society
- Canadian Dermatologic Society
- Dermatology Foundation
- Society for Investigative Dermatology
- Fellow, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, Dermatology, 1980
- Medical Advisory Board, The International Pemphigus & Pemphigoid Foundation, Berkeley, CA, 1995
- Editorial Board, Journal of Investigative Dermatology, 1992
- JHH Physician Advisor, Department of Dermatology, 1995
- Regulatory Compliance Committee (JCAHO), Johns Hopkins Hospital, 1994
- Medical Staff Conference Committee, Johns Hopkins Hospital, 1988
- Diplomate, National Board of Medical Examiners, 1978