I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Neil M Bressler, M.D.
James P. Gills Professor of Ophthalmology
Professor of Ophthalmology
Expertise: Diabetic Retinopathy, Macular Degeneration, Macular Disorders, Medical Diseases of the Retina, Ophthalmology, Retinal Vein Occlusion
Research Interests: Retinal Diseases; Age-Related Macular Degeneration; Diabetic Retinopathy
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-3518
600 N. Wolfe Street
Wilmer Eye Institute
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Neil Bressler has been a member of the Wilmer Eye Institute's faculty since 1988 and is the inaugural James P. Gills Professor of Ophthalmology. He specializes in retinal diseases, with special interests in diabetic retinopathy and macular degeneration.
Dr. Bressler's main research interests have been collaborative efforts in clinical trials of common retinal diseases, including age-related macular degeneration and diabetic retinopathy, having chaired several NIH-sponsored and industry-sponsored multicenter randomized clinical trials and authored almost 300 peer-reviewed publications. He is a past chair of the NIH-sponsored Diabetic Retinopathy Clinical Research Network, and was responsible for guidelines, policies, protocol development as well as implementation, and to facilitate Network operations in a way that maintains academic integrity and optimal clinical trial performance. He also has chaired the National Eye Institutes Data and Safety Monitoring Committee for intramural clinical trials and the FDA Ophthalmic Devices Panel. Dr. Bressler is currently editor-in-chief of JAMA Ophthalmology.
- James P. Gills Professor of Ophthalmology
- Professor of Ophthalmology
Centers & Institutes
- Retinal Vascular Center
- Wilmer Eye Institute Research
- MD; Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1982)
- Harvard Medical School / Ophthalmology (1986)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Retina (1987)
- American Board of Ophthalmology / Ophthalmology (1987)
Research & Publications
Clinical Trial KeywordsRetina
Activities & Honors
- J. Donald M. Gass Medal, Macula Society
- Fellows Award, Society of Heed
- Gertrude Pyron Award, American Society of Retina Specialists
- Secretariat Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology's
- Gold Fellow in ARVO
- Senior Scientific Investigator Award, Research to Prevent Blindness
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
The Ophthalmologist Powerlist 2016: #9 Neil Bressler