I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Morton F. Goldberg, M.D.
Joseph Green Professor of Ophthalmology & former director, Wilmer Eye Institute
Professor of Ophthalmology
Expertise: Diabetic Retinopathy, Genetic Eye Disease, Incontinentia Pigmenti, Macular Degeneration, Ocular Trauma, Ophthalmologic Genetics, Ophthalmology, Persistent Fetal Vasculature, Retinal Vascular Disease, Sickle Cell Disease, Sickle Cell Eye Disease, Trauma ...read more
Research Interests: macular degeneration; diabetic and vascular retinopathies; Genetic eye disease; Incontinentia pigmenti; Persistent fetal vasculature; Sickle cell eye disease ...read more
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
Appointment Phone: 410-955-3518
1800 Orleans St.
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Morton F. Goldberg, M.D., is the Joseph E. Green Professor of Ophthalmology and Director Emeritus at the Wilmer Eye Institute at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. From 1989 to 2003 he served as the Director and William Holland Wilmer Professor of Ophthalmology at the Wilmer Eye Institute.
Dr. Goldberg received his A.B. and M.D. with honors from Harvard College and Harvard Medical School, respectively; interned at Peter Bent Brigham Hospital in Boston; and completed an ophthalmic residency at the Wilmer Eye Institute in Baltimore. Dr. Goldberg served as Chairman of the Department of Ophthalmology at the University of Illinois College of Medicine from 1970 to 1989.
Dr. Goldberg’s areas of expertise include macular degeneration, diabetic and other vascular retinopathies, persistent fetal vasculature, laser therapy, ocular trauma, incontinentia pigmentosa and genetic and sickle cell eye diseases. He has over 480 scientific publications on his research in these areas. In 2009 he published his tenth book, The Retina in Systemic Disease: A Color Manual of Ophthalmoscopy.
Dr. Goldberg has received the Honoris Causa degree from the University of Coimbra, Portugal. He is an honorary Fellow of the Royal Australian College of Ophthalmologists, a member of the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences, a member of the Academia Ophthalmologica Internationalis and a member of the editorial board of the Japanese Journal of Ophthalmology. He has served as President of the Chicago Ophthalmological Society, the Macula Society, the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology and the Association of University Professors in Ophthalmology. He has been a recipient of the Inaugural Ida Mann Medal, the Weisenfeld Prize of ARVO, the Arnall Patz Medal, the Isaac Michaelson Medal, the David Paton Medal and the Fight For Sight/Mildred Weisenfeld Lifetime Achievement Award. His most recent honors include giving the Jose Cunha-Vaz Lecture in Coimbra, Portugal in 2009 and receiving the inaugural Dr. Venkataswamy Endowment Oration Award in Madurai, India in 2010. In 2010 he also was presented the honorary award of ARVO Gold Fellow from the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology. In 2012 the Foundation Fighting Blindness awarded him the inaugural Builders of Sight Clinical Research Award.
Currently he is chairman of the board of directors of the Clinical Research Institute of the Foundation Fighting Blindness, Inc. and is a member of the board of directors of EyeGate Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Joseph Green Professor of Ophthalmology & former director, Wilmer Eye Institute
- Professor of Ophthalmology
Centers & Institutes
Research & Publications
Clinical Trial Keywordsocular trauma, fetal vasculature, sickle cell eye disease, genetic eye disease, incontinentia pigmenti, laser, macula, retina, laser therapy, vascular retinopathies
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
>500 original articles, chapters, and books.
Activities & Honors
- Inaugural Professor Ida Mann Medal, Oxford University, England
- Arnall Patz Medal, Macula Society
- David Paton Medal, Baylor College of Medicine
- Honorary Fellow, Royal Australian Society of Ophthalmology
- Honorary Doctorate, University of Coimbra, Portugal
- University Scholar, University of Illinois
- Senior Honor Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Alcon Research Institute Award
- Inaugural Silver Fellow, Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- President, Association of University Professors of Ophthalmology
- President, Macula Society
- President, Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- President, Chicago Ophthalmological Society
- Editor, Archives of Ophthalmology, 1984 - 1994
- Chairman, Board of Directors, National Neurovision Research Institute of the Foundation Fighting Blindness, Inc., 2004
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Ophthalmological Society
- American Society of Retinal Specialists
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences
- Macula Society
- Retina Society