I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Roger Scott Blumenthal, M.D.
Director of Johns Hopkins Ciccarone Center for the Prevention of Heart Disease
Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Cardiovascular Computed Tomography, Cardiovascular Disease, Cardiovascular Disease in Women, Cardiovascular Risk Stratification, Chest Pain, Clinical Cardiology, Coronary Artery Disease, Dyslipidemia and Hypertension, High Cholesterol, Hypertension, Ischemic Heart Disease, Preventive Cardiology, Stress Testing ...read more
Research Interests: Cardiovascular Risk Assessment; Heart Disease in Women; Subclinical coronary atherosclerosis as measured by Cardiac CT; Hyperlipidemia; Primary and secondary prevention of coronary heart disease; Cardiac Computed Tomography; Individuals with a family history of heart disease; Improved strategies for management of cardiovascular risk factors ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 443-997-0270
600 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Medicine - Green Spring Station
Appointment Phone: 443-997-0275
10755 Falls Road
Ciccarone Center, Pavilion I Suite 360
Lutherville, MD 21093 map
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 443-997-0270
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Blumenthal's principal clinical and research interests involve the optimal management of ischemic heart disease, noninvasive detection of coronary atherosclerosis, and the development of new strategies to optimize the management of cardiovascular disease risk factors. Dr. Blumenthal specializes in treating adults who are at higher risk for future cardiovascular events because of 1) a history of prior cardiovascular or peripheral arterial disease or 2) the presence of multiple coronary risk factors.
Dr. Blumenthal was the principal developer of the Johns Hopkins Ciccarone Center for the Prevention of Heart Disease, and he is the Director of Preventive Cardiology at Johns Hopkins. He is a member of the official national spokesperson panel for the American Heart Association (A.H.A.). Dr. Blumenthal is co-chair of the Prevention Subcommittee and was also chairman for four years of the American College of Cardiology (ACC) Committee for the prevention of cardiovascular disease. His co-chair role of the ACC/AHA Guideline Committee is updating the blood pressure, cholesterol, lifestyle and risk assessment guidelines.
An experienced writer, Dr. Blumenthal is on the editorial board of The American Heart Journal, Clinical Cardiology and the American College of Cardiology Extended Learning Center (ACCEL). He is the Preventive Cardiology/Coronary Heart Disease section editor of Cardiology Today. He is editor of the annual Johns Hopkins White Paper on Prevention of Heart Disease/and co-editor of the textbook Preventive Cardiology: A companion to Braunwalds’s Heart Disease. He is also co-editor of the American Society of Preventive Cardiology (ASPC) Manual of Preventive Cardiology
- Director of Johns Hopkins Ciccarone Center for the Prevention of Heart Disease
- Professor of Medicine
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Cornell University Medical College (1985)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Internal Medicine (1988)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Cardiology (1992)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Cardiovascular Disease (1993)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1988)
Research & Publications
Clinical Trial KeywordsHyperlipidemia, Subclinical atherosclerosis
1. Gluckman TJ, Sachdev M, Schulman SP, Blumenthal RS. A Simplified Approach to the Management of Non-ST-Segment Elevation Acute Coronary Syndromes. JAMA. 2005; 293:349-357.
2. Mora S, Redberg RF, Sharrett AR, Blumenthal RS. Enhanced Risk Assessment in Asymptomatic Individuals Using Exercise Testing and Framingham Risk Scores. Circulation. 2005;112:1566-72.
3. Michos ED, Nasir K, Braunstein JB, Rumberger JA, Budoff MJ, Post WS, Blumenthal RS. Framingham Risk Equation Underestimates Subclinical Atherosclerosis Risk in Asymptomatic Women. Atherosclerosis. 2006; 184:201-206.
4. Nasir K, Budoff MJ, Wong ND, Scheuner M, Herrington D, Arnett DK, Szklo M, Greenland P, Blumenthal RS. Family History of Premature Coronary Heart Disease and Coronary Artery Calcification: Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA). Circulation. 2007;116:619-26.
5. Blumenthal RS, Michos ED, Nasir K. Further Improvements in CHD Risk Prediction for Women. JAMA. 2007; 297:641-3.
6. Lakoski SG, Greenland PG, Wong ND, Schreiner PJ, Herrington DM, Kronmal RA, Liu K, Blumenthal RS.
Coronary Artery Calcium Scores and Risk for Cardiovascular Events in Women Classified as Low Risk Based on Framingham Risk Score: The Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. Arch Intern Med. 2007;167:2437-2442.
7. Michos ED, Blumenthal RS. Prevalence of Low Low-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol with Elevated High-Sensitivity C-reactive Protein in the U.S.- Implications of the JUPITER Study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009; 53:931-5.
8. Blumenthal RS, Michos ED. The HALTS Trial Halting Atherosclerosis or Halted Too Early? N Engl J Med. 2009; 361:2178-90.
9. Budoff MJ, McClelland RL, Nasir K, Greenland P, Kronmal RA, Kondos GT, Shea S, Limia JAC, Blumenthal RS. Cardiovascular Events with Absent or Minimal Coronary Calcification: The Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA). Am Heart J. 2009; 158:554-61.
10. Weiss SA, Blumenthal RS, Sharrett AR, Redberg RF, Mora S. Exercise Blood Pressure and Future Cardiovascular Death in Asymptomatic Individuals. Circulation. 2010; 121: 2109-16.
11. Berger JS, Jordan CO, Lloyd-Jones D, Blumenthal RS. Screening for Cardiovascular Risk in Asymptomatic Patients. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010; 55:1169-72.
12. Silverman MG, Blaha MJ, Blumenthal RS. Adjunctive Lipid Lowering Therapy in the Era of Surrogate Endpoints. Cardiol Rev. 2011;17-22.
13. Blankstein R, Budoff MJ, Shaw LJ, Goff DC, Polak JF, Lima J, Blumenthal RS, Nasir K. Predictors of Coronary Heart Disease Events Among Asymptomatic Individuals with Low LDL Cholesterol; MESA. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2011; 58:364-74.
14. Blaha MJ, Budoff MJ, DeFilippis AP, Blankstein R, Rivera JJ, Agatston A, OLeary DH, Lima J, Blumenthal RS, Nasir K. Associations Between C-Reactive Protein, Coronary Artery Calcium, and Cardiovascular Events, and Implications for the JUPITER Population in MESA: A Population-Based Cohort Study. Lancet. 2011;378:684-92.
15. Blaha MJ, Blumenthal RS, Budoff MJ, Nasir K. Understanding the Utility of Zero Coronary Calcium As a Prognostic Test: A Bayesian Approach. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2011;4:253-6.
16. Ahmed HM, Blaha MJ, Nasir K, Rivera JJ, Blumenthal RS. Effects of Physical Activity on Cardiovascular Disease. Am J Cardiol. 2012;109:288-95.
17. Minder CM, Blaha MJ, Horne A, Michos ED, Kaul S, Blumenthal RS. Evidence-based Use of Statins For Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease. Am J Med. 2012;125:440-6.
18. Blaha MJ, Nasir K, Blumenthal RS. Statin Therapy for Healthy Men Identified as Increased Risk. JAMA. 2012;307:1489-90.
19. Michos ED, Sibley CT, Baer JT, Blaha MJ, Blumenthal RS. Niacin and Statin Combination Therapy for Atherosclerosis Regression and Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease Events: Reconciling the AIM-HIGH Trial with Previous Surrogate Endpoint Trials. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012;59:2058-64.
20. Martin, SS, Blaha MJ, Elshazly M, Brinton EA, Toth PP, McEvoy JW, Joshi PH, Kulkarni KR, Mize PD, Kwiterovich PO, DeFilipis AP, Blumenthal RS and Jones SR. Friedewald Estimated versus Directly Measured Low-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol and Treatment Implications Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2013; 62(8):732-9.
21. Ahmed HM, Blaha MJ, Nasir K, Jones SR, Rivera JJ, Agatston A, Blankstein R, Wong ND, Lakoski S, Budoff MJ, Burke GL, Sibley CT, Ouyang P, Blumenthal RS. Low-Risk Lifestyle, Coronary Calcium, Cardiovascular Events, and Mortality: Results From MESA. American Journal of Epidemiology 2013; 1:178(1):12-21.
22. Martin SS, Blaha MJ, Blankstein R, Agatston A, Rivera JJ, Virani SS, Ouyang P, Jones SR, Blumenthal RS, Budoff MJ, Nasir K. Dyslipidemia, Coronary Artery Calcium, and Incident Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease: Implications for Statin Therapy from the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. Circulation. 2014; 129:77-86.
23. Martin SS, Blaha MJ, Elshazly MB, Toth PP, Kwiterovich PO, Blumenthal RS, Jones SR. Comparison of a Novel Method vs the Friedewald Equation for Estimating LDL-Cholesterol Levels from the Standard Lipid Profile. Journal American Medical Association. 2013; 310(19):2061-8.
24. Silverman MG, Blaha MJ, Krumholz HM, Budoff MJ, Blankstein R, Sibley CT, Agatston A, Blumenthal RS, Nasir K. Impact of Coronary Artery Calcium on Coronary Heart Disease Events in Individuals at the Extremes of Traditional Risk Factor Burden: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. European Heart Journal. 2014; 35(33):2232-41.
25. Kohli P, Whelton SP, Hsu S, Yancy CW, Stone NJ, Chrispin J, Gilotra NA, Houston B, Ashen MD, Martin SS, Joshi PH, McEvoy JW, Gluckman TJ, Michos ED, Blaha MJ, Blumenthal RS. Clinician's guide to the Updated ABCs of Cardiovascular Disease Prevention. Journal American Heart Association. 2014 Sep 22;3(5):e3001098.
26. Desai CS, Martin SS, Blumenthal RS. Non-cardiovascular Effects associated with Statins. BMJ. 2014 Jul 17;349:g3743
Activities & Honors
- Member of NIH Cardiology Committee National Program to Reduce Cardiovascular Risk, 2011 - 2013
- Named One of Baltimore Magazine's Top Cardiologist, 2010
- Named One of Baltimore Magazine's Top Cardiologist, 2012
- President of American Heart Association, Greater Baltimore Chapter, 2012
- Named one of US News and World Reports Top Doctors, 2011
- Recipient of the David Levine Mentorship Award, Johns Hopkins Department of Medicine, 2010
- Selected as One of the Top Cardiologist in American by Men's Health Magzine, 2007
- Selected as One of the Top Cardiologist in American by Men's Health Magzine, 2008
- Chairman, American College of Cardiology Committee for Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease, 2005 - 2009
- Past President, American Heart Association, Maryland Council, 2001
- Member of American Heart Association, National Spokespersons Panels
- Recipient of American Heart Association Maryland Affiliate Presidential Recognition Award and the Unsung Hero Award
- American College of Cardiology
- American Heart Association
- International Atherosclerosis Society
- The Johns Hopkins Medical and Surgical Association
- Chairman, American College of Cardiology Foundation COCATS Update for Training in Preventive Cardiovascular Medicine.
- Medical Director, U.S. Senior Open, 2002
- Past Chair, American College of Cardiology
- Past Chair, Hypertension, Vascular, and Prevention Section of the 2006 American College of Cardiology Scientific Sessions
- Past President, American Heart Association Maryland Affiliate