I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Robert Alan Wood, M.D.
Director of Pediatric Allergy & Immunology
Professor of Pediatrics
Expertise: Airway Disorders, Allergic Diseases, Allergy and Immunology, Asthma, Food Allergy, Food and Additive Reactions
Research Interests: Food allergy; Asthma; Peanut allergy; Milk allergy; Allergens; Food hypersensitivity
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
APPOINTMENT PHONE: 410-955-5883
1800 Orleans St. Sheikh Zayed Tower Baltimore, MD 21287
Dr. Robert A. Wood is a professor of pediatrics at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and a professor of international health at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. An internationally recognized expert in food allergy and childhood asthma, Dr. Wood is chief of the Eudowood Division of Allergy and Immunology in the Johns Hopkins Children's Center.
He also serves as director and attending physician of the Pediatric Allergy Clinics at The Johns Hopkins Hospital and as director of the Pediatric Allergy Consultation Service.
Dr. Wood is an internationally recognized expert in food allergy and childhood asthma and has published more than 200 manuscripts in scientific journals, including The New England Journal of Medicine, JAMA, Pediatrics, and the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, as well as three books and numerous book chapters.
He is associate editor of the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology and deputy editor of the journal Pediatric Allergy and Immunology, and was previously an associate editor of the Annals of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology. He has served on the board of directors of the American Board of Allergy and Immunology and the American Academy of Allergy Asthma and Immunology, where he is now secretary-treasurer and president-elect beginning in 2018.
Dr. Wood earned his medical degree from the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry. He completed both a three-year pediatrics residency—serving as chief resident the final year—and a pediatric allergy and immunology fellowship at Johns Hopkins Hospital. Dr. Wood joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 1988.
- Director of Pediatric Allergy & Immunology
- Chief, Eudowood Division of Allergy and Immunology
- Professor of Pediatrics
Centers & Institutes
- MD, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry (1982)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Pediatrics (1985)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Pediatrics (1988)
- American Board of Pediatrics / Pediatrics (1987)
Research & Publications
Dr. Wood and his team of experts have extensive experience in conducting clinical and laboratory research in asthma and allergy, including in the development of novel allergy treatments.
He is currently serving as principle investigator for more than 20 research studies, all aimed at addressing the critical challenges of asthma and food allergies.
Learn more about Dr. Wood’s many research activities and accomplishments.
Hong X, Hao K, Ladd-Acosta C, Hansen KD, Tsai HJ, Liu X, Xu X, Thornton TA, Caruso D, Keet CA, Sun Y, Wang G, Luo W, Kumar R, Fuleihan R, Singh AM, Kim JS, Story RE, Gupta RS, Gao P, Chen Z, Walker SO, Bartell TR, Beaty TH, Fallin MD, Schleimer R, Holt PG, Nadeau KC, Wood RA, Pongracic JA, Weeks DE, Wang X. "Genome-wide association study identifies peanut allergy-specific loci and evidence of epigenetic mediation in US children." Nat Commun. 2015 Feb 24;6:6304. doi: 10.1038/ncomms7304.
Burks AW, Wood RA, Jones SM, Sicherer SH, Fleischer DM, Scurlock AM, Vickery BP, Liu AH, Henning AK, Lindblad R, Dawson P, Plaut M, Sampson HA; for the Consortium of Food Allergy Research (CoFAR). "Sublingual immunotherapy for peanut allergy: Long-term follow-up of a randomized multicenter trial." J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2015 Feb 3. pii: S0091-6749(14)03745-2. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2014.12.1917. [Epub ahead of print]
Altman AM, Camargo CA Jr, Simons FE, Lieberman P, Sampson HA, Schwartz LB, Zitt FM, Collins C, Tringale M, Wilkinson M, Wood RA. "Anaphylaxis in America: A national physician survey." J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2015 Mar;135(3):830-3. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2014.10.049. Epub 2015 Jan 7. No abstract available.
Gorelik M, Narisety SD, Guerrerio AL, Chichester KL, Keet CA, Bieneman AP, Hamilton RG, Wood RA, Schroeder JT, Frischmeyer-Guerrerio PA. "Suppression of the immunologic response to peanut during immunotherapy is often transient."J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2014 Dec 24. pii: S0091-6749(14)01646-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2014.11.010. [Epub ahead of print]
Narisety SD, Frischmeyer-Guerrerio PA, Keet CA, Gorelik M, Schroeder J, Hamilton RG, Wood RA. "A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study of sublingual versus oral immunotherapy for the treatment of peanut allergy." J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2014 Dec 18. pii: S0091-6749(14)01600-5. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2014.11.005. [Epub ahead of print]
Activities & Honors
- Bret Ratner Pediatric Allergy and Immunology Research Award, American Academy of Pediatrics, 2012
- Founder’s Award, The Food Allergy Network, 1998
- Thomas Van Metre Award, Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, 1997
- Harriet Lane Fellowship Award, Johns Hopkins Medicine, 1997 - 1998
- Young Investigator Award, American Academy of Allergy and Immunology, 1998
- Geigy Award, American College of Allergy and Immunology, 1987
- The American Academy of Allergy and Immunology, 1986
- American College of Allergy and Immunology, 1986
- The American Academy of Pediatrics, 1982
- Secretary/Treasurer, American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, 2016
- Editorial board, The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology: In Practice, 2012
- American Board of Allergy and Immunology liaison to the American Board of Pediatrics, 2011
- Editor, Pediatric Allergy, 2000
- Deputy editor, Pediatric Asthma, Allergy and Immunology, 1998
- Editorial board, Pediatric Asthma, Allergy and Immunology, 1986