I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Gerard E Mullin, M.D., M.S.
Co-Director, JHH Nurse Practitioner Fellowship Program
Associate Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Clinical Gastroenterology, Gastroenterology, Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), Integrative Medicine, Malabsorption, Neurogastroenterology, Nutrition, Weight Loss
Research Interests: Elimination Diets in Gastrointestinal Disease; Nutrition; Gut Microbiome; Probiotics; Integrative Medicine; Celiac Disease; Spectrum of Gluten Intolerance; Inflammatory Bowel Disease; Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth; Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-933-7495
600 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Mullin is an associate professor of medicine at The Johns Hopkins Hospital. He is board-certified in internal medicine, gastroenterology, integrative medicine, functional medicine and nutrition. Nationally and internationally renowned for his work in integrative gastroenterology and nutrition, Dr. Mullin has more than 20 years of clinical experience in the field of integrative gastroenterology and earned his master’s degree in nutrition while in practice.
He is an associate editor of several nutrition and integrative medicine journals. Dr. Mullin was selected by Dr. Andrew Weil to serve as a senior editor for the first book for physicians on integrative gastroenterology by Oxford Press, which was released in May of 2011.
He also is former president of the Maryland and Long-Island Societies of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition In 2009 he was named by the American Dietetic Association’s honorary member of the year.
Dr. Mullin was the youngest person to receive an Honorary membership from the American Dietetic Association in 2009. He also received the Grace A. Goldsmith award presented by the American College of Nutrition in November 2011. This special award acknowledges a scientist who is under the age of 50 years, for significant achievements in the field of nutrition.
He is a founding member of the American Board of Integrative Medicine and is board-certified in internal medicine, gastroenterology and nutrition. Dr. Mullin also serves on the editorial board of numerous journals for gastroenterology, nutrition and integrative medicine.
- Co-Director, JHH Nurse Practitioner Fellowship Program
- Director, Celiac Disease Clinic
- Director, JHH Integrative GI Nutrition Services
- Director, JHH Capsule Endoscopy Program
- Chair, JHH Nutrition Advisory Committee
- Associate Professor of Medicine
- MD, UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School -Rutgers (1985)
- Mount Sinai Medical Center / Medicine (1988)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Gastroenterology (1991)
- University of Arizona Health Sciences Center / Integrative Medicine (2008)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Gastroenterology (1991)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1988)
Fellowship, National Institutes of Health - Credentialing Services Section / Integrative Medicine (Bethesda MD ) (1991)
Research & Publications
Lab Website: Gerard E. Mullin Lab
Clinical Trial KeywordsElimination Diets in Gastrointestinal Disease, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, Weight Management, Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Gut Microbiome, Probiotics, Nutrition, Integrative Medicine
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
1. Integrative Gastroenterology. Mullin GE Editor. Oxford Press. Publication date. June 22, 2011. ISBN 9780195371109.
2. The Inside Tract. Mullin GE, Swift K. Rodale Press. New York, New York. ISBN 9781605292649. Publication Date. July 5, 2011.
3. The Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease Nutrition Desk Reference. Mullin GE, Matarese LM Editor. Taylor and Francis Group, LLC-CRC Press. Boca Raton, Florida. ISBN 9781439812648. Publication Date. September 24, 2011.
4. The Academy Handbook of Gastrointestinal Nutrition. Matarese LM, Mullin GE, Raymond J Editors. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Chicago, Illinois. ISBN 978-0-88091-450-5. In Press. Publication Date Summer 2013.
5. Integrative Nutrition 101. Anthology of Complementary and Alternative Nutrition Papers
From Nutrition in Clinical Practice, 2007-2012.Mullin GE .Editor. Sage Publishing. In Press. Release date. February 7, 2013. 978-1-889622-15-6
6. Celiac Disease. S.Devi Rampertab, Mullin GE. Editors. Springer Publishing. New York, New York. Under Contract
Activities & Honors
- Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA), 1985
- House Staff Research Award, Mount Sinai Hospital, 1988
- Resident Poster Competition Award, American College of Physicians, 1988
- Who's Who in US Health and Medical Services, 1990
- Young Investigator of the Year, Crohn's and Colitis Foundation, 1991
- Young Investigator of the Year, Crohn's and Colitis Foundation, 1993
- Marquis Who's Who in Science and Engineering, 1993
- Marquis Who's Who in the World, 1994
- Marquis Who's Who in America, 1996
- Young Investigators Award, from the American College of Gastroenterology, 1996
- Whos Who in Medicine and Healthcare, 1998
- William Paterson University Distinguished Alumni Award, 1998
- Americas Registry of Outstanding Professionals, 2003
- Marquis Who's Who in Science and Engineering, 2003 - 2004
- Long Island Magazines Top Doctors, 2003 - 2004
- Americas Top Physicians, Consumers Research Council of America, 2004 - 2008
- American Medical Association Physician Recognition Award, (AMA PRA) with Commendation, 2005 - 2007
- Kiplings Whos Who in America, 2009
- Cambridge Whos Who in America, 2009
- Honorary Member, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 2009
- Biltmores Who's Who Among Executives and Professionals, 2010 - 2011
- Covingtons Whos Who
- American College of College Grace Goldsmith Award, 2011
- American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition Clinical Nutrition Team of Distinction
- Alpha Omega Alpha, 1985
- American College of Gastroenterology, 1992
- American College of Nutrition, 2006
- American College of Physicians, 1996
- American College of Physicians, 1998
- American Gastroenterology Association, 1992
- American Gastroenterology Association, 2007
- American Gastroenterology Association, Nutrition and Obesity Section Council, 2006
- American Society for Enteral and Parenteral Nutrition (ASPEN), 1999
- Crohns and Colitis Foundation of America-LI Chapter, 2003
Board of Trustees
- Long Island Chapter of ASPEN (National ASPEN Chapter of the Year 2002-2003), 2000
- Long Island Gastroenterological Society, 1994
- Maryland Chapter of ASPEN, 2007
- Maryland Chapter of ASPEN, 2009
- Maryland Chapter of ASPEN, Medical Advisor, 2005
- Maryland Chapter of Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America, 2006
Board of Trustees
- Maryland Chapter, Crohn's and Colitis Foundation, 2006
- Maryland Gastroenterological Society, 2005
- Medical Group Management Administrators (MGMA), 2004
- New Jersey Medical School Alumni Association, 1991 - 1996
Board of Trustees
- New Jersey Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, 1992
- New York Gastroenterological Association, 1992
- New York Gastroenterological Association, 2005
President-elect, stepped down before serving term (moved to Baltimore)
- New York Gastroenterological Association, 2002 - 2003
- New York Gastroenterological Association, 2003 - 2004
- New York Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (NYSGE), 1993