I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Todd Dorman, M.D.
Senior Associate Dean for Education Coordination
Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Research Interests: Medical informatics (applied to perioperative period; critical care medicine; remote mgnt systems)
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
Appointment Phone: 410-955-5928
1800 Orleans St.
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Dorman is Board Certified in Internal Medicine, Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine. He is the Senior Associate Dean for Education Coordination and the Associate Dean for Continuing Medical Education for the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. He is a Professor and Vice Chair for Critical Care in the Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine and has joint appointments as a Professor in Internal Medicine, Surgery and The School of Nursing. Previously he served as the Director of the Multidisciplinary Critical Care Fellowship Program, Director of the Division of Adult Critical Care Medicine, Co-Director of the Surgical Intensive Care Units, Medical Director of the Adult Post-anesthesiology Care Units and Medical Director of Respiratory Care Services. He co-chairs the committee on interactions with industry and serves on the conflict of commitment committee. He also co-chairs the departmental associate professor mentorship committee.
Dr. Dorman has served on the Anesthesiology and Respiratory Device Committee of the FDA and was a member of the Institutes of Medicine Committee on Conflict of Interest in Education, Research and Practice. He serves on numerous editorial boards including CCM, ICU Management and JCEHP. He has an extensive background in association leadership and has served as the President of the American Society for Critical Care Anesthesiologists (ASCCA now SOCCA) and President of the Society for Academic CME (SACME). He is also a member of the American Society for Association Executives (ASAE). He serves on the Board of Directors of the Accreditation Council for CME (ACCME) and was recently elected by the board to serve as its Vice Chair. Dr. Dorman serves on the Quality Improvement Committee for the American Association of Medical Colleges and the Pulmonary and Critical Care advisory board for the NQF
Dr. Dorman joined SCCM in 1988 and has served on and subsequently chaired numerous committees and task forces. He was elected as Treasurer of SCCM in 2013 and became the President-elect in 2015. His term as President started February 2016. He also has participated in and helped lead guideline writing groups for the American College of Critical Care Medicine for which he was inducted as a member in 1997.
He has lectured extensively on leadership in the ICU, ICU organization as well as on provided numerous lectures in the field of medical education. Dr. Dorman served as co-PI for an AHRQ grant that led to the published monograph The Effectiveness of CME. Dr. Dorman’s ICU-oriented research interests include informatics applications in the ICU such as remote monitoring of critically ill patients, leadership strategies in the ICU, and creation of a culture of safety and he is well published in these areas.
In his role as senior associate dean he has helped establish new leadership for the Welch Library as well as led the team that renovated the library. He has recently helped rebuild an office of information technology and has established a robust office of assessment and evaluation. He serves as the school of medicine representative to the university for online education which has recently begun to launch new programs.
- Senior Associate Dean for Education Coordination
- Associate Dean and Director of Continuing Medical Education
- Vice Chair for Critical Care Services, Department of Anesthesiology/Critical Care Medicine
- Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
- Associate Professor of Surgery
- Joint Appointment in Medicine
- MD; Medicine, Tulane University School of Medicine (1984)
- Carolinas Medical Center / Internal Medicine (1987)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine (1990)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Critical Care Medicine (1992)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Anesthesiology (1992)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Critical Care Medicine (1993)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1988)
Research & Publications
Dr. Dorman’s ICU-oriented research focuses on informatics applications in the ICU as it relates to remote monitoring of critically ill patients, leadership strategies in the ICU and the creation of a culture of safety. His other areas of interest include the stress response to surgery, aminoglycoside antibiotics, fungal infections and renal failure.
Dr. Dorman is interested in applying pharmacokinetic models to drug administration in critically ill patients with the ultimate desire to electronically monitor drug administration and offer clinicians decision support information. One of his current projects addresses the ethical issue of triage in the ICU and its implications for disaster preparedness.
- Davis D, Baron B, Grichnick K, Topolous G, Dorman T. "Commentary: CME and its role in the Academic Medical Center - Increasing Integration, Adding Value." Acad Med. 2010 Jan;85(1):12-5. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0b013e3181c42e04.
- Egol A, Shander A, Kirkland L, Wall MH, Dorman T, Dasta J, Bagwell S, Kaufman D, Matthews P, Greenwald BM, Herr DL, Stavish C, Thompson C, Fahy B. "Pay for performance in critical care: an executive summary of the position paper by the Society for Critical Care Medicine." Crit Care Med. 2009 Sep;37(9):2625-31. doi: 10.1097/CCM.0b013e3181b4c3ad.
- Berenholtz SM, Pham JC, Garret-Mayer E, Atchison CW, Kostuik JP, Cohen DB, Nundy S, Dorman T, Ness PM, Klag MJ, Pronovost PJ, Kebaish KM. "Effect of episolon aminocaproic acid on red cell transfusion requirements in major spine surgery." Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2009 Sep 1;34(19):2096-103. doi: 10.1097/BRS.0b013e3181b1fab2.
- Davis D, Bordage G, Moores LK, Bennett N, Marinopoulos SS, Dorman T, McCrory D. "The science of continuing medical education: terms, tools and gaps: effectiveness of continuing medicial education: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-based educational guidelines." Chest. 2009 Mar;135(3 Suppl):8S-16S. doi: 10.1378/chest.08-2513.
- Lowe MM, Aparicio A, Galbraith R, Dorman T, Dellert E. "The future of continuing medical education: effectiveness of continuing medical education: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-based educational guidelines." Chest. 2009 Mar;135(3 Suppl):69S-75S. doi: 10.1378/chest.08-2522
Activities & Honors
- Fox Award for Best Research Presentation, Society for Academic Continuing Medical Education, 2007
- Best Doctors in Baltimore, Baltimore Magazine, 2007
- Presidential Citation, Society of Critical Care Medicine, 2002 - 2007
- Alliance of Continuing Medical Education
- American College of Critical Care Medicine
- American Society of Anesthesiologists
- Association of American Medical Colleges
- Association of University Anesthesiology
- International Anesthesiology Research Society
- Maryland Society of Anesthesiologists
- National Healthcare Cost and Quality Association
- Society of Academic Continuing Medical Education
- Society of Critical Care Anesthesiology
- Society of Critical Care Medicine
- Administrative Editor, Practical Reviews Critical Care Medicine, 2000
- Audit Committee, Society of Critical Care Medicine, 2010
- Council, Society of Critical Care Medicine, 2007
- Council Liaison to Critical Care Work Group, Society of Critical Care Medicine, 2010
- Council Liaison to Respiratory Care Section, Society of Critical Care Medicine, 2008
- Editorial board, Critical Care Medicine, 2006
- Editorial board, ICU Management, 2005
- Forum on Conflict of Interest in Academe, AAMC, 2010
- Nominating Committee, Society of Critical Care Medicine, 2010
- Program Committee, Society for Academic CME, 2005
- Research Committee, Society for Academic CME, 2008
- Research Endowment Council, Society for Academic CME, 2008
- Reviewer, Anesthesia and Analgesia, 2008
- Steering Committee, Anesthesia-ACLS, 2009
- Summer Research Institute Planning Committee, Society for Academic CME, 2008