I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Timothy H. Phelps, M.S.
Director of Production, Department of Art as Applied to Medicine
Professor of Art as Applied to Medicine
Timothy Phelps is a professor at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Professor Phelps serves as the assistant director of the Department of Art as Applied to Medicine. His area of expertise is medical illustration.
He has received more than 40 regional and national awards for his artwork published in textbooks, magazines and professional journals. He has been illustrating medicine and science for 30 years, and his work has appeared in more than 60 surgical textbooks and atlases, 300 book chapters and journals, and 20 magazines.
Professor Phelps received his B.F.A. in graphic design and illustration from Wittenberg University in Springfield, Ohio. He earned his M.S. in medical and biological illustration from the University of Michigan. Professor Phelps joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 1986.
Prior to joining Johns Hopkins, Professor Phelps was a staff medical illustrator at the Baylor College of Medicine and an editorial artist at the Houston Post.
His projects have included numerous surgical texts and atlases on otolaryngology, orthopedic and cardiac surgery; co-authorship on the book: Surgical Pathology Dissection An Illustrated Guide; the Ocean Planet project with the Smithsonian; numerous anatomic illustrations for Dog World and Cat Fancy magazines; Art Director and primary medical illustrator for the Johns Hopkins Family Health Book; and completion of more than 500 pen and ink illustrations for a 2008 Merriam Webster dictionary. Professor Phelps is a past president and past chair of the board of the Association of Medical Illustrators.
- Director of Production, Department of Art as Applied to Medicine
- Professor of Art as Applied to Medicine
Departments / Divisions
- Certified Medical Illustrator, Board of Certification of Medical Illustrators, The Association of Medical Illustrators (Lexington, KY) (1992)
- Certified Medical Illustrator, Board of Certification of Medical Illustrators, The Association of Medical Illustrators (Lexington, KY) (1997)
Research & Publications
Phelps, Tim. "Creating Textures in Medical and Scientific Illustration in Pen and Ink." Journal of Biocommunication, 30:1, 2003.
Phelps, Tim. "Colored Pencil for Medical and Veterinary Art." Journal of Biocommunication, 29:4, 2003.
Phelps T. Up in Flames: The Art of Hot Rod Flame Painting. Wisconsin: Motorbooks International, July 2006. Book.
Hruban, R.; Westra, W.; Phelps, T.; and Isacson, C. Surgical Pathology Dissection: An Illustrated Guide. New York: Springer-Verlag, 1996, 2nd Ed 2003. Book
Phelps,T. Nature Mandalas: Wonders of the Garden, Life Circles of Biodiversity and Conservancy, Schiffer 2016.
Phelps,T. Nature Mandalas: Wonders of the Earth, Wind, and Sea, Life Circles of Biodiversity and Conservancy, Schiffer 2016.
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Graduate Program Affiliation
Department of Art as Applied to Medicine
Activities & Honors
- Distinguished Alumni Award, Wittenberg University, 1998
- 18 Salon Awards,, Association of Medical Illustrators, 1983
- The William P. Didusch Art Award, American Urological Association, 1998
- Illustrators Who Teach, Society of Illustrators Exhibit, New York, 1997
- Featured Artist, American Artist Magazine, 1997
- Best Illustrated Book Award, Association of Medical Illustrators, 1996
- (300+ illustrations) Award of Merit Book Award, Association of Medical Illustrators, World Congress, 1994
- Fellow of the AMI (FAMI), Association of Medical Illustrators, 1992
- 10 Art Awards,, Baylor College of Medicine Interpretations Art Salon, 1984 - 1986
- 10 Art Awards, Texas Scientific Communicators, 1983 - 1986
- Broedel Award for Excellence in Education 2015, Association of Medical Illustrators
- (90+ illustrations) Award of Merit Book Award 2015, Association of Medical Illustrators
- Active member, Association of Medical Illustrators, 1983
Active member, Committee work (Accreditation Review for the Medical Illustrator, Continuing Education, Finance, Internship, Membership, Mentorship, JBC Gallery Editor, Workshops, Public Relations, and Nominating)
- Board Trustee, The Vesalius Trust for Visual Communications in the Health Sciences, 1998
- Chairman, Association of Medical Illustrators, 1993
- President (1998), Association of Medical Illustrators, 1998