Dr. Desmond's research focuses broadly on neuroimaging and transcranial magnetic stimulation methods to investigate neural correlates of behavior. Some specific areas of interest are:
- The contributions of the cerebellum, and cerebro-cerebellar circuits, to cognition
- Aging effects on awareness and cerebro-cerebellar function
- Integration of transcranial magnetic stimulation with functional MRI to assess which sites of activation are necessary to performance
- Clinical applications of functional MRI, including characterization of altered brain activation due to disease, surgical planning, and diagnosis
- Methodological aspects of functional MRI, such as estimating statistical power for group analyses.