I am interested in the human behavioral pharmacology of abused drugs, particularly cannabis (marijuana) and nicotine. My research focuses on the consequences of stopping heavy cannabis or tobacco use and the investigation of medications that can help improve success for individuals trying to quit. I also have interest in investigating novel ways to apply behavioral modification techniques to the treatment of drug abuse problems.
- Budney, A.J., Hughes, J.R., Moore, B.A., & Vandrey, R.G. (2004). Review of the validity and significance of cannabis withdrawal syndrome. American Journal of Psychiatry, 161, 1967-1977.
- Vandrey, R., Haney, M. (2009). Pharmacotherapy for Cannabis Dependence: How Close Are We? CNS Drugs, 23 (7), 1-11.
- Vandrey, R., Smith, M.T., McCann, U.D., Budney, A.J., Curran, E.M. (2011). Sleep disturbance and the effects of extended-release zolpidem during cannabis withdrawal. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 117, 38-44.
- Vandrey, R., Dunn, K.E., Fry, J.A., Girling, E.R. (2012). A survey study to characterize use of Spice products (synthetic cannabinoids). Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 120, 238-241.
- Vandrey, R., Babson, K.A., Herrmann, E.S., Bonn-Miller, M.O. (2014). Interactions between Disordered Sleep, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, and Substance Use Disorders. International Review of Psychiatry, 26, 237-247.
- Vandrey, R., Stitzer, M.L., Mintzer, M.Z., Huestis, M.A., Murray, J.A., Lee, D. (2013). The Dose Effects of Short-Term Dronabinol (Oral THC) Maintenance in Daily Cannabis Users. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 128, 64-70.