Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Gigi Jasmine Ebenezer, M.B.B.S., M.D.
Assistant Professor of Neurology
Research Interests: Leprosy (Hansens Disease); HIV; Peripheral neuropathy; Diabetic neuropathy
Dr. Gigi Ebenezer received her medical degree from Tanjore Medical College in Tamilnadu, India and completed her residency in Pathology at the Madras Medical College. She then headed the histopathology department of the Schieffelin Leprosy Research and Training Center (SLRTC) as the Charles K. Job chair in Pathology for over a decade during which time she was awarded JALMA Trust Fund Oration Award for excellence in research in the pathology of leprosy by the Indian Council of Medical Research and recognized by the National Academy of Medical Sciences (India) for research in the histopathology of leprosy.
Now an assistant professor in the Cutaneous Nerve Laboratory of Neurology at Johns Hopkins, her focus is on evaluation of epidermal nerve fiber densities in skin biopsies and in understanding the mechanisms of degeneration and regeneration of cutaneous nerves in peripheral neuropathic disorders. Her expertise includes: Developing neurovascular measures in skin biopsies. Investigating various factors influencing small fiber nerve regeneration using axotomy models in human and experimental animals.
- Assistant Professor of Neurology
Departments / Divisions
- Neurology - Neuromuscular Medicine
- M.B.B.S., Thanjavur Medical College - University Madras - Thanjavur - T N - (India) (1983)
- M.D., Madras Medical College (India) (1991)
Research & Publications
Ebenezer GJ, Carlson K, Donovan D, Cobham M, Chuang E, Moore A, Cigler T, Ward M, Lane ME, Ramnarain A, Vahdat LT, Polydefkis M. Ixabepilone-induced mitochondria and sensory axon loss in breast cancer patients. Ann Clin Transl Neurol. 2014; 1: 639-49.
Dorsey JL, Mangus LM, Hauer P, Ebenezer GJ, Queen SE, Laast VA, Adams RJ, Mankowski JL. Persistent Peripheral Nervous System Damage in Simian Immunodeficiency Virus-Infected Macaques Receiving Antiretroviral Therapy. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2015; 74:1053-60.
Ebenezer GJ, O'Donnell R, Hauer P, Cimino NP, McArthur JC, Polydefkis M. Impaired neurovascular repair in subjects with diabetes following experimental intracutaneous axotomy. Brain.2011; 134: 1853-1863.
Ebenezer GJ, McArthur JC, Polydefkis M, Dorsey JL, O'Donnell R, Hauer P, Adams RJ, Mankowski JL. SIV-induced impairment of neurovascular repair: a potential role for VEGF. J Neurovirol. 2012; 18:222-30.
Ibrahim Z, Ebenezer G, Christensen JM, Sarhane KA, Hauer P, Cooney DS, Sacks JM, Schneeberger S, Lee WP, Polydefkis M, Brandacher G. Cutaneous collateral axonal sprouting re-innervates the skin component and restores sensation of denervated Swine osteomyocutaneous alloflaps. PLoS One. 2013; 8(10):e77646.
Activities & Honors
- Shantha Arogyadoss Award. Gold Medal Prize in Pathology: MD Post Graduate Student, 1990
- Ackworth Memorial Award: Best Scientific paper in Leprosy, Indian Association of Leprologists, 1999
- Smt. Kunti Devi Mehrotra Award: Best Published paper in Pathology and microbiology, Indian Association of Leprologists, 2000
- Dr. Charles K. Job Chair in Pathology: For Professional Excellence, 2000
- JALMA Trust fund oration Award: Excellence in research in the Pathology of Leprosy, Indian Council of Medical Research, 2005
- Excellence in Leprosy Research, Member of the National Academy of Medical Sciences (India), 2005
- Indian Association of Leprologists (IAL), 1998
- Indian Association of Pathologists and Bacteriologists (IAPM), 1998
- Peripheral nerve society, 2011
Videos & Media
Lectures and Presentations
Altered cutaneous nerve regeneration in a simian immunodeficiency virus/macaque intracutaneous axotomy model
Platform presentation , Peripheral Nerve Society (PNS) Meeting , Wurtzburg, Germany (01/01/2009)
Impaired neurovascular repair in subjects with diabetes following intracutaneous axotomy
Poster Presentation , American Academy of Neurol , Ontario, Canada (01/01/2010)
VEGF- A transcription factor (SB509) enhances epidermal nerve fiber and blood vessel regeneration
Platform presentation , The American Diabetes Association (ADA) meeting , Orlando, Florida (01/01/2010)
Altered neurovascular regeneration and VEGF expression in a simian immunodeficiency virus/macaque cutaneous excision axotomy model
Poster Presentation , American Neurological Association , San Francisco, CA (01/01/2010)
Cutaneous nerve fiber regeneration in the distal foot after long term spinal nerve ligation (SNL) in macaques
Poster Presentation , Peripheral Nerve Society (PNS) Meeting , Washington DC, MD (01/01/2011)