Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Katsuyuki Taguchi, M.Sc., Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
Research Interests: Tumor imaging; Cardiac CT; Transcatheter arterial chemo embolization (TACE); Evaluation of 3-D and soft-tissue imaging; Dual- and multi-energy CT; Analytical reconstruction methods; Time-resolve volumetric imaging; X-ray CT imaging; Image-guided, quantitative C-arm CT; Energy-resolved CT; Low-dose CT; Motion-compensated CT; Spectral CT; Photon counting; CT data acquisition; Algorithms for high-quality dual-energy CT decomposition; Image-reconstruction algorithms; Experimental systems for photon-counting CT; Photon-counting detector systems for CT and spectral CT; 3-D and 4-D image reconstruction; Computed tomography (CT); Interventional radiology ...read more
Katsuyuki (Ken) Taguchi, Ph.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Johns Hopkins Medicine Division of Medical Imaging Physics within the Department of Radiology and Radiological Science.
An internationally known medical-imaging investigator, Dr. Taguchi is an expert in the fields of computed tomography (CT) image science, 3-D and 4-D image reconstruction, CT data acquisition, photon counting and spectral CT.
He leads a robust research program in advanced CT imaging technologies in the Johns Hopkins University I-STAR Laboratory.
Prior to joining the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2007, Dr. Taguchi worked for Toshiba Medical Systems and Toshiba America Medical Systems, where he helped to develop and implement more than 20 novel methods of data acquisition, imaging reconstruction and data processing of x-ray CT systems.
Dr. Taguchi helped to pioneer the development and use of multi-detector computed tomography, including the cone-beam (“multi-slice”) CT; conducted seminal research on cardiac CT imaging; and developed the cone-beam cardiac-reconstruction algorithm for 64-slice CT. He holds scores of patents in the U.S. and Japan.
A member of the editorial board of Medical Physics Online, Dr. Taguchi has served as a reviewer for publications that include the International Journal of Biomedical Imaging, IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, Physics in Medicine & Biology (UK) and the European Radiology Journal (The Netherlands).
He has also contributed to books that include Emerging Imaging Technologies in Medicine, Medical Imaging Technology and Applications and Stem Cell Labeling for Delivery and Tracking Using Noninvasive Imaging.
- Associate Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
- B.Sc., Tokyo Institute of Technology (Japan) (1989)
- M.Sc., Tokyo Institute of Technology (Japan) (1991)
- Ph.D., University of Tsukuba (Japan) (2002)
Research & Publications
- Funama Y, Utsunomiya D, Taguchi K, Oda S, Shimonobo T, Yamashita Y. "Automatic exposure control at single- and dual-heartbeat CTCA on a 320-MDCT volume scanner: Effect of heart rate, exposure phase window setting, and reconstruction algorithm." Phys Med. 2013 Nov 10. pii: S1120-1797(13)00424-9. doi: 10.1016/j.ejmp.2013.10.003. [Epub ahead of print]
- Funama Y, Taguchi K, Utsunomiya D, Oda S, Murasaki H, Yamashita Y, Awai K. "Dose profiles for lung and breast regions at prospective and retrospective CT coronary angiography using optically stimulated luminescence dosimeters on a 64-detector CT scanner." Phys Med. 2012 Jan;28(1):76-82. doi: 10.1016/j.ejmp.2011.01.003. Epub 2011 Feb 25.
- Funama Y, Taguchi K, Utsunomiya D, Oda S, Yanaga Y, Yamashita Y, Awai K. "Combination of a low-tube-voltage technique with hybrid iterative reconstruction (iDose) algorithm at coronary computed tomographic angiography." J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2011 Jul-Aug;35(4):480-5. doi: 10.1097/RCT.0b013e31821fee94.
- Funama Y, Oda S, Utsunomiya D, Taguchi K, Shimonobo T, Yamashita Y, Awai K. "Coronary artery stent evaluation by combining iterative reconstruction and high-resolution kernel at coronary CT angiography." Acad Radiol. 2012 Nov;19(11):1324-31. doi: 10.1016/j.acra.2012.06.013. Epub 2012 Aug 28.
- Funama Y, Taguchi K, Awai K, Sakabe D, Shimamura M, Yamashita Y. "Image noise and radiation dose using an automatic tube current modulation technique at 64-detector computed tomography: effect of off-center patient position, bowtie filter type, and scan projection radiograph." J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2009 Nov-Dec;33(6):973-7. doi: 10.1097/RCT.0b013e31819d6f6f.
Activities & Honors
- Bruce Hasegawa Young Investigator Medical Imaging Science Award, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, 2008
- Certificate of Merit, Radiological Society of North America, 2002
- Global Research Fellow, Toshiba Corporation, 1998
- Young Investigator Medical Imaging Science Award, 2008
- American Academy of Pediatrics, 2006
- American Heart Association Instructor Network, 2007
- Indian Academy of Pediatrics, 2004
- National Academy of Medical Science (NAMS), India, 2005
- Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Society, 2009