I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Nicholas Theodore, M.D., M.S.
Director, Neurosurgical Spine Center
Professor of Neurosurgery
Expertise: Chiari Malformations, Degenerative Spine Disease, Neurosurgery, Spinal Cord Tumors, Spinal Deformities, Spinal Trauma
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-4424
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-4424
4940 Eastern Avenue
301 Building, Suite 2100
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Nicholas Theodore, M.D., director of the Johns Hopkins Neurosurgical Spine Center, is a nationally recognized expert in brain and spinal cord injury, minimally invasive spine surgeries and robotics. He earned a medical degree at Georgetown University School of Medicine and completed both a residency in neurosurgery and a fellowship in spinal surgery at the Barrow Neurological Institute.
As an award-winning teacher and researcher, Dr. Theodore has written or co-authored 30 book chapters, over 180 peer-reviewed journal articles and is co-holder of 10 patents for medical devices and procedures. His research focuses on trauma, spinal cord injuries, robotics and developing an understanding of the genetic and molecular basis of spinal diseases.
Dr. Theodore treats patients with a variety of spinal disorders including, trauma, Chiari malformations, spinal deformities, degenerative spine conditions and spinal cord tumors. He sees patients at both the Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center and the Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center.
- Director, Neurosurgical Spine Center
- Professor of Neurosurgery
- Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Professor of Pediatrics
- MD, Georgetown University School of Medicine (1993)
- Walter Reed National Military Medical Center / Neurosurgery (1997)
- St Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center / Neurological Surgery (2001)
- National Institute of Neurologic Disorders and Stroke NIH / Neurological Disorders (1995)
- American Board of Neurological Surgery / Neurological Surgery (2004)
Research & Publications
Soriano-Baron H, Newcomb AG, Malhotra D, de Tranaltes K, Martinez-del-Campo E, Reyes PM, Crawford NR, Theodore N, Tumialán LM: Biomechanics of nested transforaminal lumbar interbody cages. Neurosurgery. 2016;78(2):297-304.
Safavi-Abbasi S, Komune N, Archer JB, Sun H, Theodore N, James J, Little AS, Nakaji P, Sughrue ME, Rhoton AL, Spetzler RF: Surgical anatomy and utility of pedicled vascularized tissue flaps for multilayered repair of skull base defects. J Neurosurg. 2015 Nov 27:1-12. [Epub ahead of print]
Ropper AE, Neal MT, Theodore N: Acute management of traumatic cervical spinal cord injury. Pract Neurol. 2015;15(4):266-72.
Rodriguez-Martinez NG, Safavi-Abbasi S, Perez-Orribo L, Newcomb AG, Reyes PM, Loughran G, Theodore N, Crawford NR: Biomechanics of a flexible sublaminar connector in long-segment thoracic fixation. J Neurosurg Spine. 2015 Oct 13:1-7. [Epub ahead of print]
Rodriguez-Martinez NG, Perez-Orribo L, Kalb S, Reyes PM, Newcomb AG, Hughes J, Theodore N, Crawford NR: The role of obesity in the biomechanics and radiological changes of the spine: An in vitro study. J Neurosurg Spine. 2015 Dec 11:1-9. [Epub ahead of print]
Mortazavi MM, Verma K, Harmon OA, Griessenauer CJ, Adeeb N, Theodore N, Tubbs RS: The microanatomy of spinal cord injury: A review. Clin Anat. 2015;28(1):27-36.
Martirosyan NL, Kalani MY, Lemole GM Jr, Spetzler RF, Preul MC, Theodore N: Microsurgical anatomy of the arterial basket of the conus medullaris. J Neurosurg Spine. 2015;22(6):672-6.
Martirosyan NL, Kalani MY, Bichard WD, Baaj AA, Gonzalez FL, Preul MC, Theodore N: Cerebrospinal fluid drainage and induced hypertension improve spinal cord perfusion after spinal cord injury in pigs. Neurosurgery. 2015;76(4):467-8; discussion 468-9.
Martinez-del-Campo E, Kalb S, Soriano-Baron H, Turner JD, Neal MT, Uschold T, Theodore N: Computed tomography parameters for atlantooccipital dislocation in adult patients: The occipital condyle-C1 interval. J Neurosurg Spine. 2015 Dec 18:1-11. [Epub ahead of print]
Kelly BP, Theodore N: What can standard in vitro biomechanical testing tell us about adjacent segment disease? World Neurosurg. 2015 Dec 15. [Epub ahead of print]
Kalb S, Zaidi HA, Ribas-Nijkerk JC, Sindhwani MK, Clark JC, Martirosyan NL, Theodore N: Persistent outpatient hypertension is independently associated with spinal cord dysfunction and imaging characteristics of spinal cord damage among patients with cervical spondylosis. World Neurosurg. 2015;84(2):351-7.
Activities & Honors
- Mayfield Basic Science Research Award, Section on Disorders of the Spine and Peripheral, AANS/CNS
- Timothy Harrington Neurological Surgery Teacher of the Year, Barrow Neurological Institute
- Best Doctors in America, U.S. News & World Report
- America's Top Doctors, Castle Connolly Medical Ltd.
- Compassionate Doctor Award, Vitals.com
- AANS/CNS Joint Section on Disroders of the Spine and Peripheral Nerves
- AANS/CNS Joint Section on Neurotrauma
- American Academy of Neurological Surgery
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- American College of Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- Association of Military Surgeons of the United States
- Society of Neurological Surgeons
- Society of University Neurosurgeons
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
Recorded Seminar: Back and Neck Pain: When Non-Surgical Treatment Doesn’t Work