I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Rexford S. Ahima, M.D., Ph.D.
Rexford Sefah Ahima, M.D., Ph.D.
Director of Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Professor of Medicine
Dr. Ahima is the Director of the Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Bloomberg Distinguished Professor of Diabetes in the Schools of Medicine, Public Health and Nursing, and the leader of the Johns Hopkins Diabetes Initiative.
Dr. Ahima received his intercalated BSc research training in Endocrinology in the Middlesex Hospital Medical School, University of London, MD from the University of Ghana, and PhD from Tulane University in New Orleans, Louisiana. After completing his internship and residency training in Internal Medicine at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Jack D. Weiler Hospital and Jacobi Medical Center in New York, Dr. Ahima did his clinical and research fellowship training in Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism at the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School in Boston.
Dr. Ahima is an elected member of the American Society for Clinical Investigation (ASCI), and the Association of American Physicians (AAP), and a fellow of the American College of Physicians (ACP), the Obesity Society (TOS), and the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). Dr. Ahima is an editor of the Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences Year in Diabetes and Obesity, and Molecular Endocrinology, and a member of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases Clinical Obesity Research Panel. Dr. Ahima’s research on the pathogenesis of obesity and diabetes, particularly how adipokines, cytokines, myokines and other circulating factors target the brain and peripheral organs to control feeding and metabolism.
- Director of Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Bloomberg Distinguished Professor of Diabetes
- Leader of Johns Hopkins Diabetes Initiative, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Professor of Medicine
- MD, University Of Ghana Medical School (1986)
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine / Internal Medicine (1995)
- Beth Israel - Deaconess Medical Center / Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism (1998)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Endocrinology/Diabetes/Metabolism (1998)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1995)
- PhD, Tulane University (1992)