Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Mandeep Singh, M.B.B.S., M.D., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology
Languages: English, French, Malay, Mandarin, Punjabi
Expertise: Diabetic Macular Edema, Epiretinal Membranes, Genetics and Inherited Diseases , Macular Degeneration, Macular Holes, Macular Puckers, Proliferative Vitreoretinopathy, Retina Surgery, Retinal Detachment, Retinal Dystrophies, Retinal Vein Occlusion, Surgical and Medical Diseases of the Retina, Vitrectomy, Vitreoretinal Diseases and Surgery Service ...read more
Research Interests: Retinal stem cell transplantation; Photoreceptor transplantation; Clinical trials in retinal gene therapy; Retinal surgery technology and device development ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Wilmer Eye Institute
Appointment Phone: 443-287-1511
600 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Wilmer Eye Institute - Bel Air
Appointment Phone: 410-893-0480
620 Boulton Street
Bel Air, MD 21014 map
Mandeep S. Singh, M.D., Ph.D., is assistant professor of ophthalmology at the Wilmer Eye Institute. A retina specialist, Dr. Singh’s clinical expertise includes surgical, medical and genetic conditions of the retina and macula. His research focus is retinal stem cell transplantation.
Dr. Singh obtained his bachelors (in medicine and surgery), and medical degrees from the National University of Singapore. In 2009, he was elected to the Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. He earned a doctor of philosophy degree in ophthalmology from the University of Oxford, United Kingdom in 2014. He completed fellowships in vitreoretinal diseases and surgery at the Oxford Eye Hospital and Moorfields Eye Hospital, both in the United Kingdom.
Dr. Singh sees patients and families with genetic retinal diseases such as retinitis pigmentosa, Usher syndrome, Stargardt disease and macular dystrophies, and coordinates their care with the Johns Hopkins Institute of Genetic Medicine.
Dr. Singh is specialty-trained in vitrectomy surgery for retinal detachment, macular holes, macular pucker or epiretinal membrane, vitreomacular traction, proliferative vitreoretinopathy and complex retinal detachments including reoperations, and vitreous haemorrhage or opacities. His expertise also includes: age-related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, diabetic macular edema, retinal vein occlusion, and choroidal neovascularization.
Dr. Singh’s work has been recognized through the Eye Institute–Allergan Research Prize, the Leadership in Academic Medicine Award, the Merton College University of Oxford Graduate Prize Scholarship, the Oxford Ophthalmological Congress Founder’s Cup and Medal, and the Ruskell Medal. He is a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology and the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology.
- Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology
- MBBS, National University of Singapore School of Medicine (2001)
- National University of Singapore / Orthopaedic Surgery (2004)
- National University of Singapore / Ophthalmology (2009)
- The John Radcliffe Hospital / Ophthalmology (2014)
- Maryland Board of Physicians (2016)
Research & Publications
Singh MS, Broadgate S, Mathur R, Holt R, Halford S, MacLaren RE. Hypotrichosis and juvenile macular dystrophy caused by CDH3 mutation: A candidate disease for retinal gene therapy. Scientific Reports. 2016; 6:23674. DOI:10.1038/srep23674
Lipinski DM, Barnard AR, Singh MS, Martin S, Lee E, Davies WIL & MacLaren RE. CNTF gene therapy confers lifelong neuroprotection in a mouse model of human retinitis pigmentosa. Molecular Therapy. 2015 Aug;23(8):1308-19. doi: 10.1038/mt.2015.68. Epub 2015 Apr 21
Stingl K, Bartz-Schmidt KU, Besch D, Chee CK, Cottrial C, Gekeler F, Groppe M, Jackson TL, MacLaren, RE, Koitschev A, Kusnyerik A, Neffendorf J, Nemeth J, Naeem MA, Peters T, Sachs H, Simpson A, Singh MS, Wilhelm B, Wong D & Zrenner E. Subretinal visual Implant Alpha IMS - Clinical trial interim report. Vision Research. (2015). doi: 10.1016/j.visres.2015.03.001
MS Singh, SR de Silva: Novel approaches to restore vision in end-stage age-related macular degeneration. Current Issues in Age-Related Macular Degeneration, 2014: p. 159-170;
M Singh, M Aquino, P Chew: Imaging of the Eye after Glaucoma Surgery. Ophthalmological Imaging and Applications, 2014: p. 179-194; ISBN: 978-1-4665-5913-4
MS Singh, RE MacLaren: Retinal Cell Replacement. The New Visual Neurosciences, 1 edited by John S. Wener and Leo M. Chalupa, 2014: chapter 110: p. 1593; MIT Press, ISBN: 978-0-262-01916-3
MS Singh, P Charbel Issa, R Butler, C Martin, D M Lipinski, S Sekaran, A R Barnard, R E MacLaren. Reversal of end-stage retinal degeneration and restoration of visual function by photoreceptor transplantation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 2013;110(3):1101-1106
Activities & Honors
- Ruskell Medal, 2013
- Founder's Cup & Medal, Oxford Ophthalmological Congress, 2013
- Graduate Prize Scholarship, Merton College University of Oxford, 2011
- Overseas PhD Fellowship Award, NMRC Singapore, 2009 - 2009
- Ophthalmology Residents’ Research Awards, National University Health System, 2009 - 2009
- Clinical Training Scholarship, Singapore Ministry of Health, 2008 - 2008
- Leadership in Academic Medicine Award, National University Health System, 2006 - 2007
- NHG Institute of Medical Education Research Travel Grant, National Healthcare Group- Singapore, 2006 - 2006
- Health Manpower Development Plan Fellowship, 2005 - 2005
- The Eye Institute-Allergan Research Prize, The Eye Institute-Allergan, 2005 - 2005
- National University Hospital Service Champion Award, National University Hospital, 2001 - 2002
- Outstanding Surgical Intern Award, National University Health System, 2001 - 2001
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Association for research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)