Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
James Hugh Segars, Jr, M.D.
Director, Division of Reproductive Science and Women’s Health Research
Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Dr. James Segars is director of the Division of Reproductive Science and Women’s Health Research and a professor in the Johns Hopkins Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics. He leads the Howard W. and Georgeanna Seegar Jones Laboratory of Reproductive Sciences and Women's Health Research, where he and his team focus on endometriosis, uterine fibroids, and reproductive and ovarian disorders.
Dr. Segars received his undergraduate degree from Duke University and earned his M.D. from Duke University School of Medicine. He completed his residency in obstetrics and gynecology and a clinical fellowship in reproductive endocrinology at Vanderbilt University. Dr. Segars performed a postdoctoral fellowship at the Laboratory of Molecular Growth Regulation at the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. He joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2015.
Before coming to Johns Hopkins, Dr. Segars was head of the Unit on Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility at the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development and a professor in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences.
Dr. Segars has published more than 130 peer-reviewed research articles and serves on the editorial boards of Reproductive Sciences, Molecular Human Reproduction, Seminars in Reproductive Medicine, and Fertility and Sterility.
- Director, Division of Reproductive Science and Women’s Health Research
- Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Departments / Divisions
- Gynecology and Obstetrics - General Obstetrics and Gynecology
- MD, Duke University School of Medicine (1981)
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center / Obstetrics and Gynecology (1987)
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center / Reproductive Endocrinology (1989)
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology / Obstetrics And Gynecology (1993, 2014)
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology / Reproductive Endocrinology (1995, 2014)