Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Christopher G. Chute, Dr.P.H., M.D., M.P.H.
Bloomberg Distinguished Professor of Health Informatics
Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Internal Medicine
Dr. Chute received his undergraduate and medical training at Brown University, internal medicine residency at Dartmouth, and doctoral training in Epidemiology at Harvard. He is Board Certified in Internal Medicine, and a Fellow of the American College of Physicians, the American College of Epidemiology, and the American College of Medical Informatics. His career has focused on how we can represent clinical information to support analyses and inferencing, including comparative effectiveness analyses, decision support, best evidence discovery, and translational research. He has had a deep interest in semantic consistency, harmonized information models, and ontology.
He became founding Chair of Biomedical Informatics at Mayo in 1988, stepping down after 20 years in that role. He retired from Mayo in 2014, where he remains an emeritus Professor of Biomedical Informatics. He has been PI on a large portfolio of research including the HHS/Office of the National Coordinator (ONC) SHARP (Strategic Health IT Advanced Research Projects) on Secondary EHR Data Use, the ONC Beacon Community (Co-PI), the LexGrid projects, Mayo’s CTSA Informatics, and several NIH grants including one of the eMERGE centers from NGHRI, which focus upon genome wide association studies against shared phenotypes derived from electronic medical records. He currently chairs the World Health Organization (WHO) ICD-11 Revision. Dr. Chute is Bloomberg distinguished professor of Health Informatics and a Chief health research information officer.
Recently held positions include service as an index member on the Health Information Technology Standards Committee for the Office of the National Coordinator in the US DHHS, Chair of the ISO Health Informatics Technical Committee (ISO TC215), member of the HL7 Advisory Council, Chair of the Biomedical Computing and Health Informatics study section at NIH, Chair of the Board of the HL7/FDA/NCI/CDISC BRIDG project, on the Board of the Clinical Data Interchange Standards Consortium (CDISC), ANSI Health Information Standards Technology Panel (HITSP) Board member, Chair of the US delegation to ISO TC215 for Health Informatics, Convener of Healthcare Concept Representation WG3 within the (TC215), Co-chair of the HL7 Vocabulary Committee, Chair of the International Medical Informatics Association (IMIA) WG6 on Medical Concept Representation, American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) Board member, and multiple other NIH biomedical informatics study sections as chair or member.
- Bloomberg Distinguished Professor of Health Informatics
- Chief Health Research Information Officer
- Professor of Medicine
- Professor of Health Sciences Informatics
- A.B., Brown University (Rhode Island) (1977)
- M.D., Brown University (Rhode Island) (1982)
- M.P.H., Harvard University (Massachusetts) (1982)
- DrPH, Harvard University (Massachusetts) (1985)
- Internal Medicine, The American Board of Internal Medicine (1985)
- Clinical Informatics, The American Board of Preventive Medicine (2013)
Research & Publications
Technology Expertise KeywordsPatient data representation, clinical information models, clinical classifications, ontology, translational research.
Activities & Honors
- CIBA Award for Outstanding Community Service, Brown University Program in Medicine, 1981
- Arnold Fellowship for Research Travel Abroad, Brown University, 1980
- Charles H. Smith Fellowship, Harvard University, 1981
- Homer Warner Award (joint), American Medical Informatics Association, 1998
- President's Award, American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA), 2002
- President Elect, American College of Medical Informatics, 2015
- Fellow, American College of Physicians, 1988
- Fellow, American College of Epidemiology, 1988
- Fellow, American College of Medical Informatics, 1995
- Chair, ISO Technical Committee on Health Informatics, Geneva, CH, 2010 - 2014
- Chair, ICD-11 Revision Steering Group, World Health Organization, Geneva, CH, 2007