Dr. Qing Kay Li’s research focuses on the early detection of lung and prostate cancers and ways to separate aggressive from non-aggressive tumors of these organs using state-of-the-art molecular tools.
Recently, Dr. Li and her team identified hundreds of protein and genetic biomarkers in the airway fluid (bronchoalveolar lavage) from lung cancer patients. Their preliminary data shows that these protein and genetic biomarkers have the potential to improve the accuracy of current lung cancer screening tests and could play a role in the early detection of lung cancers, particularly in patients with small lung nodules.
Dr. Li also identified several serum protein biomarkers in prostate cancer patients, and these markers have the potential to improve the diagnosis of aggressive prostate cancers.
- Wang X, Chen J, Li QK, Peskoe SB, Zhang B, Coi C, Platz EA, Zhang H, "Overexpression of alpha (1,6) fucosyltransferase associated with aggressive prostate cancer." Glycobiology. doi:10.1093/glycob/cwu051. Epub 2014 June 5.
- Ao MH, Zhang H, Sakowski L, Sharma R, Illei PB, Gabrielson E, Askin F, Li QK. "The utility of a novel triple marker (combination of TTF1, napsin A, and p40) in the subclassification of non–small cell lung cancer." Human Pathology 45 (5), 926-934. 2014. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.humpath.2014.01.005.
- Liu Y, Chen J, Sethi A, Li QK, Chen L, Collins B, Gillet LCJ, Wollscheid B, Zhang H, Aebersold R. "Glycoproteomic Analysis of Prostate Cancer Tissues by Glycoproteomic analysis of prostate cancer tissues by SWATH mass spectrometry discovers N-acylethanolamine acid amidase and protein tyrosine kinase 7 as signatures for tumor aggressiveness." Mol Cell Proteomics. 2014 April 16. doi:10.1074/mcp.M114.038273.
- Holmes BJ, Sokoll LJ, Li QK. "Measurement of fine-needle aspiration thyroglobulin levels increases the detection of metastatic papillary thyroid carcinoma in cystic neck lesions." Cancer Cytopathology. 2014 March 3. Doi: 10.1002/cncy.2141.
- Mahoney K, Cayea D, Li QK, Gelber AC. "A handy clue: palmar fasciitis and polyarthritis syndrome." Am J Med. 2014 Feb;127(2):116-8. doi: 10.1016/j.amjmed.2013.09.021. Epub 2013 Oct 8.
Li Q, Subbulakshmi V, Oldfield C, Aamir R, Weyman CM, Wolfman A and Cathcart MK. Protein kinase C alpha regulates phosphorylation and enzymatic activity of cytosolic phospholipase A2 in vitro and in activated human monocytes. Cell Signal 2006. In press.
Li Q, Bavikatty N, and Michael CW. The role of Immunohistochemistry in the distinguishing squamous cell carcinoma from mesothelioma and adenocarcinoma in pleural effusion. Seminars of Diagnostic Pathol. 2006; 23:15.
Li Q, Murphy M, Ross JS, Sheehan C and Carlson JA. Skp2 and p27 kip1 expression in melanocytic nevi and melanoma: an inverse relationship. J. Cutan. Pathol. 2004; 31:633.