Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Esther Seunghee Oh, M.D., Ph.D.
Associate Director, Johns Hopkins Memory and Alzheimer's Treatment Center
Associate Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Clinical Care of Older Adults, Cognitive Decline in Older Adults, Geriatric Medicine, Geriatric Psychiatry, Mood Disorders ...read more
Research Interests: Development of biomarkers for different stages of dementia, as markers of early detection as well as for markers of treatment response ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-550-6337
5200 Eastern Ave.
The Center for Transformative Geriatric Research, Mason F. Lord Building, Center Tower, Floor 7
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. Esther Oh is an associate professor of medicine, pathology, and psychiatry and behavioral sciences at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Her areas of clinical expertise include geriatric medicine, geriatric psychiatry, and mood disorders.
Dr. Oh also serves as the associate director of the Johns Hopkins Memory and Alzheimer’s Treatment Center.
Dr. Oh earned her M.D. from Chicago Medical School/University of Health Science. She completed her residency in internal medicine at the University of Illinois at Chicago and performed a fellowship in geriatric medicine and gerontology at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
Her research interest is the development of biomarkers for different stages of dementia, as markers of early detection as well as for markers of treatment response.
Dr. Oh is certified in geriatrics and internal medicine by the American Board of Internal Medicine. She is a member of the International College of Geriatric Psychoneuropharmacology and the Society of Neuroscience, among other organizations.
- Associate Director, Johns Hopkins Memory and Alzheimer's Treatment Center
- Associate Professor of Medicine
- Assistant Professor of Pathology
- Joint Appointment in Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Departments / Divisions
- MD, Chicago Medical School/Univ of Hlth Science (1998)
- University of Illinois at Chicago / Internal Medicine (2002)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology (2005)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Geriatrics (2004)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (2001)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsPublications: Peer-Reviewed Original Science Research
1. Tabuchi A, Sano K, Oh E, Tsuchiya T, Tsuda M. Modulation of AP-I Activity by Nitric Oxide (NO) in vitro: NO-Mediated Modulation of AP-I. FEBS Letters, 1994;351:123-127.
2. Ohtani K, Sakurai H, Oh E, Iwata E, Tsuchiya T, Tsuda M. Involvement of Protein Kinase C in Calcium Signaling Pathway to Activation of AP-I DNA-binding Activity Evoked via NMDA and Voltage-gated Calcium Channels. Journal of Neurochemistry, 1995;65(2):605-614.
3. Tabuchi A, Oh E, Taoka A, Sakurai H, Tsuchiya T, and Tsuda M. Rapid Attenuation of AP-I Transcriptional Factors Associated with Nitric Oxide (NO) Mediated Neuronal Cell Death. The Journal of Biological Chemistry, 1996;271:31061-31067.
4. Oh ES, Troncoso JC, Fangmark-Tucker SM. Maximizing the Potential of Plasma Amyloid-beta as a Diagnostic Biomarker for Alzheimers Disease. Neuromolecular Medicine, 2008;10(3):195-207. PMID 18543125, PMC 2558671.
5. Oh ES, Savonenko AV, King JF, Fangmark-Tucker SM, Rudow GL, Xu G, Borchelt DR, Troncoso JC, Amyloid Precursor Protein Increases Cortical Neuron Size in Transgenic Mice. Neurobiology of Aging, 2009; 30(8) 1238-44. PMID 18304698, PMC 2796369.
6. Rosenberg PB, Mielke MM, Appleby B, Oh E, Leoutsakous JM, Lyketsos CG. Neuropsychiatric symptoms in MCI subtypes: the importance of executive dysfunction. Int. Jr. of Geriatric Psychiatry, Epub (9/10). PMID:20845402
7. Oh ES, Mielke MM, Rosenberg PB, Jain A, Fedarko NS, Lyketsos CG, Mehta PD. Comparison of Conventional ELISA with Electrochemiluminescence Technology for Detection of Amyloid-beta (Aβ) in Plasma. J Alzheimers Dis, 2010; 21(3):769-73. PMID 20634583 PMC 255878
8. Liu Y, Lee MK, James MM, Price DL, Borchelt DR, Troncoso JC, Oh ES. Immunotherapy attenuates monoaminergic neurodegeneration in transgenic mice. J Alzheimers Dis, 2010. PMID: 20966549
1. Oh ES, Lyketsos CG, Wong PC, Mouse models of Alzheimers disease. In The Principles and Practice of Geriatric Psychiatry, 3rd Ed. Wiley-Blackwell, 2010 in press
1. Oh E, A Case of Depression in a Patient with Dementia [educational module for Johns Hopkins Geriatric Education Center] 2006 http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/gec/studies/depression_dementia.html
1. Sakurai H, Oh E, Sano K, Tsuchiya T, Tsuda M. Induction of Novel DNA-Binding Activity in the Cerebellar Granule Cells Stimulated via Glutamate Receptors. 1st UBMB Conference, Biochemistry of Diseases, June 1, 1992.
2. Sakurai H, Oh E, Sano K, Tabuchi A, Tsuchiya T, Tsuda M. Induction of TRE Binding Activities Mediated by Glutamate Receptors and Its Regulation by Nitric Oxide (NO). Japanese Biochemical Society Meeting. December 9-12, 1992.
3. Khan A, Oh E, Weisman D, Lesky L. End-Of-Life Curriculum Development at a University Hospital. The Journal of Palliative Medicine, 2001;4:4,533.
4. Oh, ES., Tucker S, Jankowsky J, Borchelt D,Troncoso J. Peripheral administration of monoclonal antibody as a diagnostic tool to detect soluble amyloid beta. J Am Geriatr Soc., 2005; 53, S19. (Poster presentation).
5. Oh ES, Tucker SM, Rudow GL, Jankowsky JL, Borchelt DR, Troncoso JC. Passive immunization with monoclonal antibody A 1-11 in transgenic mouse models of Alzheimers disease. American Association of Neuropathologists 2005 Annual Meeting. June 9-12, 2005. (Selected for Podium presentation)
6. Oh E, Tucker S, Riudavets M, Borchelt D, Troncoso J. The Effect of Anti-amyloid beta Antibody 7B6 on Neuronal Cell Volume. J Am Geriatr. Soc. 2006:54.S156 (Selected for Presidential Poster Session).
7. Oh E, Tucker S, Smith A, Borchelt D, Troncoso J. Biotinylated anti-Aβ antibody as a tool to diagnose pre-clinical Alzheimers disease (AD). 36th Annual Meeting of the Society for Neuroscience, Oct, 2006 (Poster Presentation).
8. Oh ES, Tucker S, Borchelt D, Troncoso J. Biotinylated antibody as a tool to diagnose pre-clinical stages of Alzheimer's Disease (AD). J Am Geriatr. Soc. 2007:55.S163 (Selected for Presidential Poster Session).
9. Oh E, Tucker S, Borchelt D, Troncoso J. Use of a Biotinylated Anti-Aβ Antibody to Diagnose Preclinical Alzheimers Disease. Alzheimers Association Prevention Conference. Alzheimers & Dementia. 2007:3:3 S2 114 (Poster Presentation).
10. Oh E, Savonenko A, Fangmark-Tucker S, Rudow G, Xu G, Borchelt D, Troncoso J. The Neurotrophic Effects of Amyloid Precursor Protein (APP) on Cortical Neuronal Volumes of Transgenic Mouse Models. 37th Annual Meeting of the Society for Neuroscience, Nov 5, 2007 (Poster Presentation).
11. K. Abalos, Y. Liu, G. Rudow, J. Troncoso, E. Oh. Attenuation of Catecholaminergic Axons in Asymptomatic Alzheimers disease (ASYMAD). J Am Geriatr.Soc. 2010:58.S180-181.
12. Oh ES, Mielke MM, Rosenberg PB, Jain A, Fedarko N, Lyketsos CG, Mehta P. Comparison of Conventional ELISA with Electrochemiluminescence Technology for Detection of Amyloid-beta (Aβ) in Plasma. J Am Geriatr.Soc. 2010:58.S121 (Selected for Presidential Poster Session).
13. Oh ES, Leoutsakos J, Mielke, MM, Rosenberg PB, Troncoso JC, Elahi D, Green PS, Lyketsos, CG, and S. Craft. Oral glucose tolerance test for Alzheimers disease biomarker development. The Rosalinde and Arthur Gilbert Foundation/AFAR Grantee Meeting. June 8, 2010. Santa Barbara, CA. (Poster Presentation).
14. Oh ES, Parker D, Mielke MM, Rosenberg PB, Jain A, Fedarko NS, Lyketsos CG. Plasma Neopterin Levels in aMCI and AD. International Congress of Geriatric Neuropsychopharmacology Meeting, September 17, 2010. Athens, Greece (Poster Presentation).
Activities & Honors
- American Geriatrics Society, 2001
- Christian Medical & Dental Associations, 1996
- International College of Geriatric Psychoneuropharmacology, 2010
- Society for Neuroscience, 2006
- Biologist Department of Molecular Cell Biology, American Type Culture Collection (ATCC), 1993 - 1994
- Investigator Clinical Core, Johns Hopkins Alzheimers Disease Research Center, 2007
- John A. Hartford Foundation Student Researcher Molecular Neurobiology Section, National Institute on Aging, 1990 - 1991
National Institutes of Health
- Student Researcher Department of Microbiology, Okayama University, 1991 - 1992
- Student Researcher Department of Neurobiology and Anatomy, University of Rochester, 1990 - 1990
- Student Researcher National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, 1995 - 1995