Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Sarah Lou Clever, M.D.
Associate Director, Clinical Skills Course
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Languages: English, Spanish
Expertise: Internal Medicine
Research Interests: Medical Education; Patient-Physician Communication
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-0670
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
Appointment Phone: 410-955-9434
1800 Orleans St.
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Sarah Clever is an assistant professor of medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Her clinical interests include depression and hypertension. Dr. Clever serves as the assistant dean for student affairs at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.
Dr. Clever graduated with an A.B. in history from Stanford University. She received her medical degree from the Yale University School of Medicine. She completed her internship and residency in internal medicine at the University of Washington. She served as a Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholar and obtained her M.S. in health studies at the University of Chicago. In 2002, Dr. Clever joined the faculty at Johns Hopkins as a fellow in the Division of General Internal Medicine and joined the full-time faculty shortly thereafter. She is board-certified in internal medicine.
Her research interests include patient-physician communication and medical education.
Dr. Clever serves on the LGBTI Liaison Group for the Association of American Medical College Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Intersex. She has received numerous honors, including the Diversity Leadership Council Diversity Recognition Award from Johns Hopkins in 2012. She is an active member of the Society of General Internal Medicine, the American College of Physicians and the American Academy on Physician and Patient.
- Associate Director, Clinical Skills Course
- Assistant Dean for Student Affairs
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
- MD, Yale School of Medicine (1996)
- University of Washington (1999)
- University of Washington / Medicine (2000)
- The University of Chicago / Internal Medicine (2002)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Internal Medicine (2003)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1999)
Research & Publications
Dr. Clever’s research interests include patient-physician communication, medical education and the role of shared decision-making in recovery from illness. She has published in the areas of medical ethics, medical education and shared decision-making.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Hall JA, Ship AN, Ruben MA, Curtin EM, Roter DL, Clever SL, Smith CC, Pounds K. The Test of Accurate Perception of Patients' Affect (TAPPA): An ecologically valid tool for assessing interpersonal perception accuracy in clinicians. Patient Educ Couns. 2013 Oct 14. pii: S0738-3991(13)00405-9. doi: 10.1016/j.pec.2013.10.004. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24184040
Shochet R, King J, Levine R, Clever S, Wright S. 'Thinking on my feet': an improvisation course to enhance students' confidence and responsiveness in the medical interview. Educ Prim Care. 2013 Feb;24(2):119-24. PMID: 23498579
Clever SL, Dudas RA, Solomon BS, Yeh HC, Levine D, Bertram A, Goldstein M, Shilkofski N, Cofrancesco J Jr. Medical student and faculty perceptions of volunteer outpatients versus simulated patients in communication skills training. Acad Med. 2011 Nov;86(11):1437-42. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0b013e3182305bc0. PMID: 21952062
Clever SL, Jin L, Levinson W, Meltzer D. Does doctor-patient communication affect patient satisfaction with hospital care? Results of an analysis with a novel instrumental variable. Health Services Research. 2008 October;43:1505-19.
Clever SL, Ford DE, Rubenstein LV, Rost KM, Meredith LS, et al. Primary Care patients involvement in decision making is associated with improvement in depression. Med Care. 2006 May;44:398-405.
Windish DM, Price EG, Clever SL, Magaziner J, Thomas PA. Teaching medical students the important connection between communication and clinical reasoning. J Gen Intern Med. 2005 Dec;20:1108-13.
Clever SL, Novack D, Cohen D, Levinson W. Evaluating surgeons informed decision making skills: pilot test using a videoconferenced standardized patient. Medical Education. 2003;37:1094-99.
Clever SL, Tulsky JA. Dreaded conversations: moving beyond discomfort in patient-physician communication. J Gen Intern Med. 2002 Nov;17(11):893-894.
Clever SL, Edwards KA, Feudtner, C, Braddock CH 3rd. Ethics and communication: does students comfort addressing ethical issues vary by specialty team? J Gen Int Med. 2001 Aug; 16(8):559-63.
Activities & Honors
- Johns Hopkins University Alumni Association Award for Excellence in Teaching , 2009
- Honorable mention, American Academy on Physician and Patient , 2003
- Mack Lipkin Sr. Award, Society for General Internal Medicine National Meeting , 2003
- Excellence in teaching, Alpha Omega Alpha, 1998
- Diversity Leadership Council Diversity Recognition Award, Johns Hopkins, 2012
- American College of Physicians
- Society for General Internal Medicine
- The American Academy of Physician and Patient
- Research Compensation Committee, Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, MD, 2015
- LGBTI Liaison Group, Association of American Medical Colleges Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Intersex (LGBTI) Patient Care Project Advisory Committee, Washington, DC, 2012
- Fellowship Advisory Committee, Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, MD