Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Jennifer Elizabeth Thorne, M.D., Ph.D.
Chief, Division of Ocular Immunology
Professor of Ophthalmology
Expertise: Iritis, Ophthalmology, Uveitis
Research Interests: birdshot chorioretinitis; pediatric uveitis; JIA uveitis; uveitic macular edema; ocular inflammatory disease
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Wilmer Eye Institute
Appointment Phone: 410-955-2966
600 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Jennifer Thorne, M.D., Ph.D., is the Cross Family Professor of Ophthalmology at the Wilmer Eye Institute, where she is also chief of the Division of Ocular Immunology. Dr. Thorne holds a joint appointment as professor of epidemiology at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
An internationally recognized and board-certified ophthalmologist, Dr. Thorne is an expert in the evaluation and management of patients with uveitis and other related immune-mediated disorders. Dr. Thorne also directs the Mucous Membrane Pemphigoid clinic, a multi-disciplinary specialty clinic designed to evaluate and treat patients with conjunctival diseases.
Dr. Thorne's research interests include white dot syndromes including birdshot chorioretinitis, multifocal choroiditis and punctate inner choroiditis. She also studies juvenile idiopathic arthritis-related uveitis and treatment outcomes of immunosuppressive drug therapy.
Dr. Thorne received her M.D. degree from the University of Virginia and completed her ophthalmology residency at the University of Pennsylvania's Scheie Eye Institute. She completed her uveitis fellowship at Wilmer and completed her Ph.D. in epidemiology at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
- Chief, Division of Ocular Immunology
- Professor of Ophthalmology
Departments / Divisions
- Ophthalmology - Uveitis and Ocular Immunology Service
Centers & Institutes
- MD, University of Virginia School of Medicine (1996)
- University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine / Ophthalmology (2000)
- American Board of Ophthalmology / Ophthalmology (2001)
Research & Publications
7/15/88-7/31/15 Coordinating Center, Studies of Ocular Complications of AIDS. PI: Curtis L. Meinart' Role: Deputy Director, Medical Ophthalmologist, Epidemiologist; Major Goal: To evaluate vision outcomes among patients with AIDS and with ocular opportunistic infections secondary to AIDS, most commonly cytomegalovirus retinitis.
7/1/03-12/31/17 Coordinating Center, Multicenter Uveitis Steroid Treatment (MUST) Trial. PI: Janet T. Holbrook. Role: Medical Officer; Chair, Medical Therapy Quality Assurance Committee; Major Goal: Compare the fluocinolone acetonide implant to “standard therapy” for the treatment of patients with severe, vision-threatening intermediate, posterior, or panuveitis.
10/1/10-8/31/15 Systemic Immunosuppressive Therapy for Eye Disease (SITE) 2 Cohort Study. PI: John H. Kempen. Role: Principal Investigator at the Johns Hopkins Site, Major Goal: Evaluate the long-term risk of cancer diagnosis and cancer-related morbidity in patients receiving immunosuppressive therapy for non-infectious inflammatory eye diseases.
7/1/11-6/30/16 North American AIDS Cohorts Collaboration on Research and Design. PI: Richard D. Moore. Consortium HIV/AIDS databases from academic medical centers and community based facilities that deliver HIV care in the U.S. and Canada to identify questions of intraregional and interregional importance that are critical to the contemporary treatment of HIV infection in North America, and design and implement the analyses necessary to answer these questions.
10/1/12-9/30/16 A Multicenter Study of the Efficacy and Safety of the Human Anti-TNF Monoclonal Antibody Adalimumab as Maintenance Therapy in Subjects Requiring High Doses of Corticosteroids for Active Non-Infectious Intermediate, Posterior, and Pan-Uveitis. PI: Jennifer E. Thorne
10/1/12-9/30/16 A Multicenter Study of the Efficacy and Safety of the Human Anti-TNF Monoclonal Antibody Adalimumab in Subjects with Non-Infectious Intermediate, Posterior, and Pan-Uveitis. PI: Jennifer E. Thorne
10/1/12-9/30/16 A Multicenter Open-Label Study of the Long-Term Safety and Efficacy of the Human Anti-TNF Monocloncal Antibody in Subjects with Non-Infectious, Intermediate, Posterior, and Pan-Uveitis. PI: Jennifer E. Thorne
12/1/12-11/30/16 A Randomized, Double masked, Placebo-controlled Study of the Safety and Efficacy of Gevokizumab in the Treatment of Active Non-Infectious Intermediate, Posterior, or Pan Uveitis. PI: Jennifer E. Thorne
12/1/12-11/30/16 A Randomized, Double masked, Placebo-controlled Study of the Safety and Efficacy of Gevokizumab in the Treatment of Subjects with Non-Infectious Intermediate, Posterior, or Pan-Uveitis currently Inactive. PI: Jennifer E. Thorne
10/1/13-9/30/17 Proof of Concept Study of the Effectiveness of Ozurdex in lieu of Oral Corticosteroids for the Control of Active Intermediate, Posterior and Panuveitis Requiring Immunosuppressive Drug Therapy. PI: Jennifer E. Thorne.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Direct and indirect resource use, healthcare costs and work force absence in patients with non-infectious intermediate, posterior or panuveitis. Thorne JE, Skup M, Tundia N, Macaulay D, Revol C, Chao J, Joshi A, Dick AD. Acta Ophthalmol. 2016 Mar 2. doi: 10.1111/aos.12987. [Epub ahead of print]
Autoimmune bullous diseases with skin and eye involvement: Cicatricial pemphigoid, pemphigus vulgaris, and pemphigus paraneoplastica. Broussard KC, Leung TG, Moradi A, Thorne JE, Fine JD. Clin Dermatol. 2016 Mar-Apr;34(2):205-13. doi: 10.1016/j.clindermatol.2015.11.006. Epub 2015 Dec 19.
Using a patient-centered approach to benefit-harm assessment in treatment decision-making: a case study in uveitis. Yu T, Holbrook JT, Thorne JE, Puhan MA. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2016 Jan 22. doi: 10.1002/pds.3959. [Epub ahead of print]
Remission of Intermediate Uveitis: Incidence and Predictive Factors. Kempen JH, Gewaily DY, Newcomb CW, Liesegang TL, Kaçmaz RO, Levy-Clarke GA, Nussenblatt RB, Rosenbaum JT, Sen HN, Suhler EB, Thorne JE, Foster CS, Jabs DA, Payal A, Fitzgerald TD; Systemic Immunosuppressive Therapy for Eye Diseases (SITE) Research Group. Am J Ophthalmol. 2016 Jan 6. pii: S0002-9394(16)30002-2. doi: 10.1016/j.ajo.2015.12.034. [Epub ahead of print]
Dissociations of the Fluocinolone Acetonide Implant: The Multicenter Uveitis Steroid Treatment (MUST) Trial and Follow-up Study. Holbrook JT, Sugar EA, Burke AE, Vitale AT, Thorne JE, Davis J, Jabs DA; Multicenter Uveitis Steroid Treatment (MUST) Trial Research Group. Am J Ophthalmol. 2015 Dec 31. pii: S0002-9394(15)30049-0. doi: 10.1016/j.ajo.2015.12.028. [Epub ahead of print]
Activities & Honors
- Vitals Patients' Choice Award, 2014
- Global Who's Who, 2013
- America's Top Ophthalmologists, 2011
- American Academy of Ophthalmology Best Paper Award, 2010
- Top Doctors in Ophthalmology, 2010
- American Academy of Ophthalmology Achievement Award, 2009
- Best Doctors in Baltimore, 2007
- Best Doctors in America, 2007
- Delta Omega Honorary Society in Public Health, 2005
- AIDS Training Award, 2001 - 2002
- Maumenee Clinician Award, 2001 - 2002
- Heed Ophthalmic Foundation Fellowship, 2001 - 2002
- Pan-American Association of Ophthalmology, 2009
- International Ocular Inflammation Society (IOIS), 2009
- American Uveitis Society (AUS), 2001
- Society for Heed Fellows, 2001
- American Academy of Ophthalmology, 1997
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, 1997
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, 1997 - 2000
- American Medical Association, 1991 - 1996
- Advisory Board, Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals, 2015
- Executive Board, American Uveitis Society, 2007
- Examiner, American Board of Ophthalmology, 2007
- Member, Board of Managers, Fellowship Certification Committee, Association of University Professors of Ophthalmology, 2007
- Advisory Board, AbbVie, 2013 - 2013
- Consulant, Gilead, 2013 - 2013
- Ophthalmic Technology Assessment Committee, American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2010 - 2013
- Advisory Board/Consultant, XOMA, 2011 - 2011
- Advisory Board, Allergan, 2009 - 2009
- Member in the Uveitis Subspecialty, Practicing Ophthalmologists Curriculum (POC) for the American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2009 - 2009
- Board of Managers, Association of University Professors in Ophthalmology (AUPO), 2007 - 2007
- Reviewer for Uveitis Subspecialty, Ophthalmic News and Education (O.N.E.) Network, American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2007 - 2007
Videos & Media
Lectures and Presentations
Visiting Professor, Brooklyn, New York (01/01/2015)
Invited Speaker, Taipei, Taiwan (12/02/2014)
Uveitis Forum sponsored by the Ophthalmological Society of Taiwan
- Invited Speaker, Uveitis Subspecialty Day, American Academy of Ophthalmology Meeting, Chicago, Illinois (10/01/2014)
Visiting Professor, Jerusalem, Israel (06/01/2014)
Hadassah Medical Center
- Invited Speaker, World Ophthalmology Congress, Tokyo, Japan (04/01/2014)
Invited Speaker, Uveitis Forum, Ho Chi Minh City, Viet Nam (10/01/2013)
International Ocular Inflammation Society
Visiting Professor, Paris, France (01/01/2012)
University of Paris