Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Matthew Kendall McNabney, M.D.
Program Director, Fellowship Training Program in Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology
Associate Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Geriatric Medicine
Research Interests: Geriatrics curriculum development and evaluation for medical trainees; Models of care delivery with a focus on long-term care ...read more
Request an Appointment
Johns Hopkins Bayview Center on Aging and Health
Appointment Phone: 410-550-0925
5200 Eastern Avenue
Mason F. Lord Building Suite 723
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. Matthew McNabney is an associate professor of medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His areas of clinical expertise include geriatric medicine. Dr. McNabney serves as the program director of the Fellowship Training Program in Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology and the medical director for the Program for All-Inclusive Care of the Elderly (PACE).
Dr. McNabney earned his M.D. from the University of Missouri Kansas City School of Medicine. He completed his residency at Northwestern University’s Feinberg School of Medicine and performed a fellowship in geriatric medicine and gerontology at the University of California Los Angeles School of Medicine
His research interests include geriatrics curriculum development and evaluation for medical trainees.
Dr. McNabney serves as the chair of the American Geriatrics Society’s annual meeting program committee. He has been recognized by the Johns Hopkins Institutions Diversity Leadership Council with a Diversity Recognition Award. He is a member of several professional organizations, including the American Geriatrics Society and the American College of Physicians.
- Program Director, Fellowship Training Program in Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology
- Medical Director, Program for All-Inclusive Care of the Elderly (PACE)
- Associate Professor of Medicine
- MD; Medicine, University of Missouri Kansas City School of Medicine (1987)
- Northwestern University The Feinberg School of Medicine / Internal Medicine (1990)
- University of California Los Angeles School of Medicine / Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology (1993)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Geriatric Medicine (1996, 2006)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1990, 2011)
Research & Publications
McNabney M, Beers M, Siebens H. Surrogate decision-makers satisfaction with the placement of feeding tubes in elderly patients. J Am Geriatr Soc 1994; 42: 161-168.
Reuben D, Fishman L, McNabney M, Wolde-Tsadik G. Looking inside the black box of comprehensive geriatric assessment: A classification system for problems, recommendations, and implementation strategies. J Am Geriatr Soc 1996; 44: 835-838.
McNabney MK, Andersen RE, Bennett RG. Impact of physician telephone management of nursing home residents prior to the initial assessment: A pilot study. J Am Dir Assoc 2002; 3: 246-250.
McNabney MK, Andersen RE, Bennett RG. Nursing documentation of telephone communication with physicians in community nursing homes. J Am Dir Assoc 2004; 5: 180-185.
McNabney MK, Pandya N, Iwuagu C, Patel M, Katz P, James V, Calabrese B, Lawhorne L. Differences in Diabetes management of nursing home patients based on functional and cognitive status. J Am Dir Assoc 2005; 6: 375-382.
McNabney MK, Wolff, JL, Semanick LM, Kasper JD, Boult C. Care Needs of higher-functioning nursing home residents. J Am Dir Assoc 2007; 8: 409-412.
Lyketsos CG, Samus QM, Baker A, McNabney M, Onyike CU, Mayer LS, Brandt J, Rabins P, Rosenblatt A. Effect of dementia and treatment of dementia on time to discharge from assisted living facilities: The Maryland assisted living study. J Am Geriatr Soc 2007; 55: 1031-1037.
Rosenblatt A, Samus QM, Onyike CU, Baker AS, McNabney M, Mayer LS, Brandt J, Lyketsos CG. Acetylcholinesterase inhibitors in assisted living: patterns of use and association with retention. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 2008; 23:178-84.
Rearden GL, McNabney MK, Bloom SM, Eng C. Should Programs of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly utilize community-based primary care physicians? J Am Med Dir Assoc 2008; 9: 275-278.
Samus QM, Mayer L, Baker A, McNabney M, Brandt J, Onyike CU, Rabins PV, Lyketsos CG, Rosenblatt A. Characteristics and outcomes for assisted living residents with dementia: Comparing dementia-specific care units with non-dementia-specific care units. J Am Geriatr Soc 2008; 56: 1361-1363.
McNabney MK, Samus QM, Lyketsos CG, Brandt J, Onyike CU, Baker A, Rosenblatt A. The spectrum of medical illness and medication use among residents of assisted living facilities in central Maryland. J Am Med Dir Assoc 2008; 9: 558-564.
Samus QM, Mayer L, Onyike CU, Brandt J, Baker A, McNabney M, Rabins PV, Lyketsos CG, and Rosenblatt A. Correlates of functional dependence among recently-admitted assisted living residents with and without dementia. J Am Med Dir Assoc 2009; 10: 323-329.
McNabney MK, Willging P, Fried LP, Durso SC. The Continuum of Care for Older Adults: Design and Evaluation of an Educational Series. J Am Geriatr Soc 2009; 57: 1088-95.
Cruthird-Rudd T, Yu Q, McNabney MK. Geographic Distribution of Assisted Living Facilities in Baltimore, Maryland. J Am Geriatr Soc 2009; 57: 2366-2368.
Bicket MC, Samus QM, McNabney MK, Onyike CU, Mayer LS, Brandt J, Rabins PV, Lyketsos CG, Rosenblatt A. The Physical Environment Influences Neuropsychiatric Symptoms and Other Outcomes in Assisted Living Residents. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 2010: 25: 1044-1054.
McNabney MK, Fedarko NS, Durso SC. Speed-dating as a technique to efficiently align mentees and mentors in a geriatrics training program. J Am Geriatr Soc 2010; 58: 2245-2246.
Haiyan X, McNabney M. PACE: a novel and useful geriatric care model for the elderly. Chinese Medical Tribune 2010 (October): A10.
Activities & Honors
- Diversity Recognition Award, Johns Hopkins Institutions Diversity Leadership Council, 2015
- American College of Physicians, 1990
- American Geriatrics Society, 1987
- American Medical Directors Association, 1999
- Gerontological Society of America, 2005
- National PACE Association, 1998
- Associate Medical Director, Hopkins ElderPlus (Program of All, 2000 - 2001
- Medical Advisor, Brighton Gardens Assisted Living, 2000 - 2001
- Medical Director, Lorien Frankford Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1999 - 2001
- Medical Director, Hopkins ElderPlus (Program of All, 2001
- Medical Director, Eastpoint Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 2000 - 2006
- Medical Director, Beacham Adult Day Care Center at Johns Hopkins Geriatrics Center, 2002 - 2003
- Volunteer Physician, Caroline Street Clinic for the Uninsured, 2004 - 2007
- Chair, Annual Meeting Program Committee, American Geriatrics Society, New York, NY, 2014
- Board of Directors, National PACE (Program of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly) Association, Alexandria, VA