Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Hanan Jaber Aboumatar, M.D., M.P.H.
Associate Professor of Medicine
Research Interests: Healthcare professionals'' education; Patient safety and health care quality; Patient activation and empowerment; Patient-centered care; Healthcare communications ...read more
Dr. Aboumatar is an internationally recognized leader in improving patient-centered care. She is core faculty and Executive Committee member at the Armstrong Institute for Patient Safety and Quality and an assistant professor at the Johns Hopkins schools of Medicine and Public Health. Dually trained in family medicine and general preventive medicine, Dr. Aboumatar’s research focuses on improving patient-centered outcomes via increased patient and family engagement and activation and employment of multilevel strategies to improve patient-centeredness of care delivery.
She has published more than 30 peer- reviewed manuscripts and won research awards from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute, and the Picker Institute/Gold Foundation. Examples of her recent research include an assessment of impact of a quality improvement intervention on patient activation in primary care; a mixed methods study on treatment with respect and dignity in the intensive care setting; a national study on best practices in patient- centered care delivery in the hospital setting; and a randomized controlled trial to measure impact of a patient and family-centered transitional care program on patient-centered outcomes amongst patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
Dr. Aboumatar is an expert in medical education on safety and health care quality. She is the Director of the Safety and Quality Horizontal strand and the Patient Safety Course within the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She currently holds a joint appointment with Bloomberg School of Public Health, Department of Health Behavior and Society. Her Patient Safety Course curriculum has been published twice, serves as a model for medical education on this topic, and has been widely sought by academic medical centers in the United States and globally.
- Associate Professor of Medicine
- B.S., American University of Beirut (Lebanon) (1987)
- M.D., American University of Beirut (Lebanon) (1991)
- M.P.H., Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (Maryland) (2004)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Aboumatar H, Allison RD, Feldman L, Woods K, Thomas P, Wiener C., Focus on Transitions of Care: Description and Evaluation of an Educational Intervention for Internal Medicine Residents. Am J Med Qual. 2013 Nov 1. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24185984
- Cooper LA, Boulware LE, Miller ER 3rd, Golden SH, Carson KA, Noronha G, Huizinga MM, Roter DL, Yeh HC, Bone LR, Levine DM, Hill-Briggs F, Charleston J, Kim M, Wang NY, Aboumatar H, Halbert JP, Ephraim PL, Brancati FL., Creating a transdisciplinary research center to reduce cardiovascular health disparities in Baltimore, Maryland: lessons learned. Am J Public Health. 2013 Nov;103(11):e26-38. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2013.301297. Epub 2013 Sep 12. PMID: 24028238
- Paradis E, Leslie M, Gropper MA, Aboumatar HJ, Kitto S, Reeves S., Interprofessional care in intensive care settings and the factors that impact it: results from a scoping review of ethnographic studies. J Crit Care. 2013 Dec;28(6):1062-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jcrc.2013.05.015. Epub 2013 Jul 24. PMID: 23890936
- Cooper LA, Marsteller JA, Noronha GJ, Flynn SJ, Carson KA, Boonyasai RT, Anderson CA, Aboumatar HJ, Roter DL, Dietz KB, Miller ER 3rd, Prokopowicz GP, Dalcin AT, Charleston JB, Simmons M, Huizinga MM., A multi-level system quality improvement intervention to reduce racial disparities in hypertension care and control: study protocol. Implement Sci. 2013 Jun 4;8:60. doi: 10.1186/1748-5908-8-60. PMID: 23734703
- Aboumatar HJ, Carson KA, Beach MC, Roter DL, Cooper LA., The impact of health literacy on desire for participation in healthcare, medical visit communication, and patient reported outcomes among patients with hypertension. J Gen Intern Med. 2013 Nov;28(11):1469-76. doi: 10.1007/s11606-013-2466-5. Epub 2013 May 21. PMID: 23690237
- Paradis E, Reeves S, Leslie M, Aboumatar H, Chesluk B, Clark P, Courtenay M, Franck L, Lamb G, Lyndon A, Mesman J, Puntillo K, Schmitt M, van Soeren M, Wachter B, Zwarenstein M, Gropper M, Kitto S., Exploring the nature of interprofessional collaboration and family member involvement in an intensive care context. J Interprof Care. 2013 May 14. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 23672585
- Aboumatar HJ, Cooper LA., Contextualizing patient-centered care to fulfill its promise of better health outcomes: beyond who, what, and why. Ann Intern Med. 2013 Apr 16;158(8):628-9. doi: 10.7326/0003-4819-158-8-201304160-00008. No abstract available. PMID: 23588750
- Headrick LA, Barton AJ, Ogrinc G, Strang C, Aboumatar HJ, Aud MA, Haidet P, Lindell D, Madigosky WS, Patterson JE., Results of an effort to integrate quality and safety into medical and nursing school curricula and foster joint learning. Health Aff (Millwood). 2012 Dec;31(12):2669-80. doi: 10.1377/hlthaff.2011.0121. PMID: 23213151
- Aboumatar HJ, Thompson D, Wu A, Dawson P, Colbert J, Marsteller J, Kent P, Lubomski LH, Paine L, Pronovost P., Republished: development and evaluation of a 3-day patient safety curriculum to advance knowledge, self-efficacy and system thinking among medical students. Postgrad Med J. 2012 Sep;88(1043):545-51. doi: 10.1136/postgradmedj-2011-000463rep. PMID: 22904236
- Aboumatar H, Pronovost P., Making hospital care patient-centered: the three patient questions framework. Am J Med Qual. 2013 Jan-Feb;28(1):78-80. doi: 10.1177/1062860612453617. Epub 2012 Aug 13. No abstract available. PMID: 22892825