Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Amballur David John, M.D.
Director, Student Education, Johns Hopkins Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-6353
4940 Eastern Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. Amballur David John is an assistant professor of anesthesiology and critical care medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He is the director of student education for the department.
Dr. John received a B.A. from Harvard and an M.D. from New York Medical College. He completed an internship and a residency in internal medicine at Framingham Union Hospital in Framingham, Massachusetts. After a residency in anesthesiology and critical care medicine at Johns Hopkins, he conducted a fellowship in cardiac anesthesiology at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.
After a year as an instructor at Harvard Medical School, Dr. John came to John Hopkins in 2002 as an instructor and joined the faculty in 2003 as an assistant professor.
He is a fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine and has been named among America’s Top Anesthesiologists. He is a member of several professional organizations, including the American Medical Association, the American College of Physicians and the American Society of Anesthesiologists, and he serves on the editorial board of the Journal of Cardiology and Vascular Medicine. He is board certified in anesthesiology and critical care medicine.
- Director, Student Education, Johns Hopkins Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
- Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
- MD, New York Medical College (1990)
- Framingham MetroWest Medical Center / Internal Medicine (1991)
- Framingham MetroWest Medical Center / Internal Medicine (1994)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Anesthesiology (2000)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Anesthesiology (2002, 2022)
Activities & Honors
- Named among Peer Reviewed Physicians, Anesthesiology and Critical Care, 2013
- Elected Fellow, Royal Society of Medicine, 2008
- America’s Top Anesthesiologists, 2006 - 2013
- Distinguished Physician, Florida Medical Association, 2006
- America’s Top Physicians for Anesthesia and Critical Care, 2003 - 2005
- American Association for Advancement of Science
- American Chemical Society
- American College of Physicians
- American Medical Association
- American Society of Anesthesiologists
- American Society of Echocardiography
- Maryland Society of Anesthesiologists
- Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists
- Advisory panel, Web Med Central
- Editorial board, Journal of Cardiology and Vascular Medicine
- Reviewer, Journal e-plasty
- Reviewer, Journal of Urology