I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Michael Blake Streiff, M.D.
Medical Director, The Johns Hopkins Hospital Special Coagulation Laboratory
Associate Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Coagulation Disorders, Hemophilia, Medical Oncology, Venous Thromboembolism
Research Interests: Prevention and Treatment of Venous Thromboembolism
Request an Appointment
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-2000
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Streiff''s major clinical interest involves the prevention and treatment of venous thromboembolism. He has written several comprehensive reviews on vena caval filters and the management of venous thromboembolism in cancer patients. He chairs the Venous Thromboembolism Guideline Committee for the National Comprehensive Cancer Center Network and has served on international consensus panels to develop standardized guidelines for the use of vena caval filters in the management of venous thromboembolism. As a member of a Johns Hopkins Evidence-Based Practice Center panel, he participated in the development of evidence reports on the management of venous thromboembolism. His research on patients with malignant gliomas identified ABO blood group as a novel risk factor for VTE in this population. A multicenter clinical trail is now nearing complettion to confirm these results and identifiy plasma markers of increased risk for venous thromboembolism in glioma patients. As Medical Director of the Anticoagulation Management Service and Outpatient Clinics, he and his colleagues from the Department of Pharmacy have been actively involved in developing policies and procedures for standardizing anticoagulation management and guidlines for VTE prevention at the Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions. As the consulting Hematologist for the Johns Hopkins Comprehensive Hemophilia Treatment Center, he is actively involved in the diagnosis and treatment of patients with hemophilia, von Willebrand disease and other hemostatic disorders.
- Medical Director, The Johns Hopkins Hospital Special Coagulation Laboratory
- Attending Physician, The Johns Hopkins Hospital Comprehensive Hemophilia Treatment Center
- Medical Director, The Johns Hopkins Anticoagulation Management Service and Outpatient Clinics
- Associate Professor of Medicine
- Associate Professor of Pathology
Centers & Institutes
- MD; Hematology and Oncology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1988)
- University of Florida (1991)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Hematology and Oncology (1997)
Research & Publications
- Streiff, M.B. Vena Caval Filters: A Comprehensive Review. Blood 2000; 95(12): 3669-3677.
- Streiff MB, Ness PM. Acquired factor V inhibitors: a needless iatrogenic complication of bovine thrombin exposure. Transfusion 2002 ;42(1): 18-26.
- Streiff MB, Spivak JL. The diagnosis and management of polycythemia vera in the post-polycythemia vera study group era: A survey of American Society of Hematology (ASH) members practice patterns. Blood 2002; 99(4):1144-1149.
- Segal JB, Bolger DT, Jenckes MW, Krishnan JA, Streiff MB, Eng J, Tamariz LJ, Bass EB. Outpatient therapy with low molecular weight heparin for treatment of venous thromboembolism: a systematic review of efficacy, safety and costs. Am J Med 2003 115(4):298-308.
- Streiff MB, Segal J, Grossman SA, Kickler TS, Weir EG. ABO blood group is a potent risk factor for venous thromboembolism in patients with malignant gliomas. Cancer 2004; 100(8):1717-1723
- Kim HS, Patra A, Khan J, Arepally A, Streiff MB. Transhepatic Catheter-directed Thrombectomy and Thrombolysis of Acute Superior Mesenteric Venous Thrombosis. J Vasc Intervent Radiol 2005 16(12):1685-91
- Streiff MB, Segal JB, Tamariz LJ, Jenckes MW, Bolger DT, Eng J, Krishnan JA, Bass EB. Duration of oral anticoagulation for venous thromboembolism: A systematic review of the literature. Am J Hematol 2006;81(9):684-91.
- Kim HS, Patra A, Paxton BE, Khan J, Streiff MB. Adjunctive Percutaneous Mechanical Thrombectomy For Lower Extremity Deep Vein Thrombosis: Clinical And Economic Outcomes. J Vasc Intervent Radiol 2006 ;17(7):1099-1104.
- Gerber DE, Segal JB, Salhotra A, Olivi A, Streiff MB. Venous thromboembolism occurs rarely in post-operative meningioma patients receiving combined modality prophylaxis. Cancer 2007; 109(2):300-305.
- Segal JB, Streiff MB, Hoffman LV, Thornton K, Bass EB. Management of venous thromboembolism with low molecular weight heparin, catheter-directed thrombolysis, vena cava filters, compression stockings and oral anticoagulants: a systematic review of the evidence. Ann Intern Med 2007;146(3):211-222.
- Ahonkhai AA, Gebo KA, Streiff MB, Moore RD, Segal JB. Venous Thromboembolism in Patients with HIV/AIDS: A Case-Control Study. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2008 Jul 1;48(3):310-4.
- Kim HS, Young MJ, Narayan AK, Hong K, Liddell RP, Streiff MB. A Comparison of Clinical Outcomes with Retrievable and Permanent Inferior Vena Cava Filters. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2008; 19:393399.
- Gerber DE, Segal JB, Levy MY, Kane J, Jones RJ, Streiff MB. The incidence of and risk factors for venous thromboembolism (VTE) and bleeding among 1,514 patients undergoing hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: Implications for VTE prevention. Blood 2008 Aug 1;112(3):504-10.
- Biscup-Horn P, Streiff MB, Ulbrich T, Nesbit TW, Shermock KM. Impact of an Anticoagulation Management Service on Inpatient Clinical and Economic Outcomes. Ann Pharmacother 2008 Jun;42(6):777-82.
- Shermock KM, Connor JT, Lavallee DC and Streiff MB. Clinical decision-making as the basis for assessing agreement between measures of the International Normalized Ratio. J Thromb Haemost 2009 Jan;7(1):87-93.
Activities & Honors
- Valedictorian, Summa cum Laude, Washington and Lee University, 1983
- Fulbright Scholar, University of Ulm, West Germany, United States Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, 1983 - 1984
- Leighton R. Cluff Award for the Most Exemplary Physician, University of Florida, 1991
- William R. Bell Prize in Hematology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology, 1994
- ASCO Young Investigator Award, American Society of Oncology, 1995
- C. Lockard Conley Award in Hematology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology, 1996
- Award for Outstanding Teaching by a Full-time Faculty Member, Osler Medical Housestaff, 2006
- American College of Physicians, 1992
- American Society of Hematology, 1995
- International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 1999
- Chairman, National Comprehensive Cancer Center Network
Venous Thromboembolism Guidelines Committee