I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Michael Alan Kraut, M.D., M.S., Ph.D.
Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
Expertise: Diagnostic Radiology, Neuroradiology
Research Interests: Functional neuroimaging; Brain electrophysiology; Semantic memory
Request an Appointment
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-550-2948
4940 Eastern Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-6500
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Michael Kraut is a Professor in the Johns Hopkins Medicine Department of Radiology and Radiological Science.
Dr. Kraut received his undergraduate degree in B.S. in biomedical engineering from the University of Southern California, and M.D., M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in neuroscience from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine. After a residency in diagnostic radiology at Beth Israel Hospital in Boston, MA, he completed a fellowship in neuroradiology at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, and joined the Johns Hopkins faculty thereafter.
Dr. Kraut’s research interests include functional neuroimaging, especially as a tool to investigate cognitive operations and issues of visual and somatomotor function. A special interest, reflecting his background in neurophysiology, is the use of functional imaging techniques in concert with electrophysiologic measures in order to elucidate the temporal sequence as well as spatial distribution of neural activation.
In addition to his roles at Johns Hopkins, Dr. Kraut serves as the Medical Director at F.M. Kirby Research Center for Functional Brain Imaging.
- Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
- Associate Professor of Neurosurgery
- Professor of Oncology
- MD; Medicine, Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva Univ (1986)
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center / Radiology (1991)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Neuroradiology (1993)
- American Board of Radiology / Diagnostic Radiology (1991)
- American Board of Radiology / Neuroradiology (1995, 2017)
Research & Publications
Dr. Kraut’s research interests include functional neuroimaging, especially as a tool to investigate cognitive operations and issues of visual and somatomotor function and use of functional imaging techniques with electrophysiologic measures to elucidate the temporal sequence as well as spatial distribution of neural activation.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Liem RI, Liu J, Gordon MO, Vendt BA, McKinstry RC 3rd, Kraut MA, Strouse JJ, Ball WS, Debaun MR. "Reproducibility of Detecting Silent Cerebral Infarcts in Pediatric Sickle Cell Anemia." J Child Neurol. 2013 Dec 5.
- Motes MA, Gamino JF, Chapman SB, Rao NK, Maguire MJ, Brier MR, Kraut MA, Hart J Jr. "Inhibitory control gains from higher-order cognitive strategy training." Brain Cogn. 2013 Nov 25;84(1):44-62. doi: 10.1016/j.bandc.2013.10.007.
- Marano CM, Workman CI, Lyman CH, Munro CA, Kraut MA, Smith GS. "Structural Imaging in Late Life Depression: Association with Mood and Cognitive Responses to Antidepressant Treatment." Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2013 Oct 5. pii: S1064-7481(13)00371-0. doi: 10.1016/j.jagp.2013.10.001.
- Beason-Held LL, Goh JO, An Y, Kraut MA, O'Brien RJ, Ferrucci L, Resnick SM. "Changes in Brain Function Occur Years before the Onset of Cognitive Impairment." J Neurosci. 2013 Nov 13;33(46):18008-14. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.1402-13.2013.
- Kirton JW, Resnick SM, Davatzikos C, Kraut MA, Dotson VM. "Depressive Symptoms, Symptom Dimensions, and White Matter Lesion Volume in Older Adults: A Longitudinal Study." Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2013 Oct 11. pii: S1064-7481(13)00381-3. doi: 10.1016/j.jagp.2013.10.005.