Dr. Bagnasco's research interests are in the field of renal physiology and pathophysiology, and in the mechanisms of adaptation of renal cells to the environment of the kidney medulla, characterized by high concentration of salt and urea.
She and her team have defined the genomic organization of the gene that encodes the major renal urea transporters, which are essential for the process of urine concentration in the mammalian kidney. They are currently studying the pathways regulating expression and function of these transporters in the kidney and at extrarenal sites.
- Inoue H, Jackson SD, Vikulina T, Klein JD, Tomita K, Bagnasco SM. "Identification and characterization of a Kidd antigen/UT-B urea transporter expressed in human colon." Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2004 Jul;287(1):C30-5. Epub 2004 Feb 25.
- Bagnasco SM. "Gene structure of urea transporters." Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2003 Jan;284(1):F3-10. Review.
- Peng T, Sands JM, Bagnasco SM. "Glucocorticoids inhibit transcription and expression of the UT-A urea transporter gene." Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2002 May;282(5):F853-8.
- Bagnasco SM, Peng T, Janech MG, Karakashian A, Sands JM. "Cloning and characterization of the human urea transporter UT-A1 and mapping of the human Slc14a2 gene." Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2001 Sep;281(3):F400-6.
- Nakayama Y, Peng T, Sands JM, Bagnasco SM. "The TonE/TonEBP pathway mediates tonicity-responsive regulation of UT-A urea transporter expression." J Biol Chem. 2000 Dec 8;275(49):38275-80.
Pisitkun T, Gandolfo MT, Knepper M, Bagnasco SM. Application of system biology principles to protein biomarker discovery: urinary exosomal proteome in renal transplantation. Proteomics Clin. Appl. 2012;6(5-6):268-78.
Barisoni L, Nast CC, Jennette JC, Hodgin JB, Herzenberg AM, Lemley KV, Conway CM, Kopp JB, Kretzler M, Lienczewski C, Avila-Casado C, Bagnasco SM, Sethi S, Tomazewski J, Gasim AH, Hewitt SM. Digital pathology evaluation in the multicenter nephritic syndrome study network (NEPTUNE). Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2013;8:1449-59.
Bagnasco SM, Zachary AA, Racusen LC, Arend LJ, Carter-Monroe N, Alachkar N, Nazarian SM, Lonze BE, Montgomery RA, Kraus ES. Time Course of Pathologic Changes in Kidney Allografts of Positive Crossmatch HLA-Incompatible Transplant Recipients. Transplantation. 2014; 97:440-445.
Jackson AM, Sigdel TK, Delville M, Hsieh SC, Dai H, Bagnasco SM, Montgomery RA, Sarwal MM. Endothelial cell antibodies associated with novel targets and increased rejection. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2015; 26:1161-71.
Sampson MG, Robertson CC, Martini S, Mariani L, Lemley K, Gillies CE, Otto EA, Kopp JB, Randolph A, Vega-Warner V, Eichinger F, Nair V, Gipson DS, Cattran D, Johnstone D, OToole J, Bagnasco S, Song P, Barisoni L, Troost J, Kretzler M, Sedor J, and the Nephrotic Syndrome Study Network: Integrative genomics identifies novel associations with APOL1 risk genotype in African American NEPTUNE subjects. J Am Soc Nephrol 2015 (in press)
Bagnasco SM. Intimal arteritis in renal allografts: new takes on an old lesion. -Current Opinion in Transplantation, 2015 (in press).