Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Fredrick M Wigley, M.D.
Director, The Johns Hopkins Scleroderma Center
Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Rheumatology, Scleroderma
Request an Appointment
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 443-997-1552
5501 Hopkins Bayview Circle
Asthma and Allergy Center
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. Wigley received his M.D. degree from the University of Florida College of Medicine. He completed an internship and residency at Johns Hopkins where he also trained in a postdoctoral fellowship program. Dr. Wigley is a physician-scientist whose specialty is Raynaud’s phenomenon and scleroderma. He founded The Johns Hopkins Scleroderma Center with Robert A. Wise, M.D., of the Johns Hopkins Division of Pulmonary Medicine. Dr. Wigley has been honored with two American College of Rheumatology awards over the past couple years. He received the ACR Distinguished Clinician Scholar Award in 2009 and the ACR Masters Award in 2011.
- Director, The Johns Hopkins Scleroderma Center
- Martha McCrory Professor of Medicine
- Professor of Medicine
Centers & Institutes
- MD; Medicine, University of Florida College of Medicine (1972)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Medicine (1975)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Rheumatology (1979)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1975)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Rheumatology (1980)
Research & Publications
Dr. Wigley’s research focuses on the events that cause scleroderma and on the signs and symptoms of scleroderma. He is testing new treatments for Raynaud’s phenomenon and scleroderma.
Clinical Trial KeywordsRaynaud's phenomenon, Scleroderma
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Joseph CG, Darrah E, Shah AA, Skora AD, Casciola-Rosen LA, Wigley FM, Boin F, Fava A, Thoburn C, Kinde I, Jiao Y, Papadopoulos N, Kinzler KW, Vogelstein B, Rosen A. Association of the Autoimmune Disease Scleroderma with an Immunologic Response to Cancer. Science. 2013 Dec 5. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24310608
- McMahan ZH, Wigley FM. Novel investigational agents for the treatment of scleroderma. Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 2013 Nov 22. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24261610
- Gerber EE, Gallo EM, Fontana SC, Davis EC, Wigley FM, Huso DL, Dietz HC. Integrin-modulating therapy prevents fibrosis and autoimmunity in mouse models of scleroderma. Nature. 2013 Nov 7;503(7474):126-30. doi: 10.1038/nature12614. Epub 2013 Oct 9. PMID: 24107997
- Tedford RJ, Mudd JO, Girgis RE, Mathai SC, Zaiman AL, Housten-Harris T, Boyce D, Kelemen BW, Bacher AC, Shah AA, Hummers LK, Wigley FM, Russell SD, Saggar R, Saggar R, Maughan WL, Hassoun PM, Kass DA. Right ventricular dysfunction in systemic sclerosis-associated pulmonary arterial hypertension. Circ Heart Fail. 2013 Sep 1;6(5):953-63. PMID: 23797369
- Gelber AC, Manno RL, Shah AA, Woods A, Le EN, Boin F, Hummers LK, Wigley FM. Race and association with disease manifestations and mortality in scleroderma: a 20-year experience at the Johns Hopkins Scleroderma Center and review of the literature. Medicine (Baltimore). 2013 Jul;92(4):191-205. doi: 10.1097/MD.0b013e31829be125. Review. PMID: 23793108
- Matucci-Cerinic M, Kahaleh B, Wigley FM. Review: evidence that systemic sclerosis is a vascular disease. Arthritis Rheum. 2013 Aug;65(8):1953-62. doi: 10.1002/art.37988. Review. No abstract available. PMID: 23666787
- Cottrell TR, Wise RA, Wigley FM, Boin F. The degree of skin involvement identifies distinct lung disease outcomes and survival in systemic sclerosis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2013 Apr 20. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 23606705
- Shah AA, Wigley FM. My approach to the treatment of scleroderma. Mayo Clin Proc. 2013 Apr;88(4):377-93. doi: 10.1016/j.mayocp.2013.01.018. Review. PMID: 23541012
- Hummers LK, Dugowson CE, Dechow FJ, Wise RA, Gregory J, Michalek J, Yenokyan G, McGready J, Wigley FM. A multi-centre, blinded, randomised, placebo-controlled, laboratory-based study of MQX-503, a novel topical gel formulation of nitroglycerine, in patients with Raynaud phenomenon. Ann Rheum Dis. 2013 Dec 1;72(12):1962-7. doi: 10.1136/annrheumdis-2012-201536. Epub 2012 Dec 25. PMID: 23268365
- Shah AA, Chung SE, Wigley FM, Wise RA, Hummers LK. Changes in estimated right ventricular systolic pressure predict mortality and pulmonary hypertension in a cohort of scleroderma patients. Ann Rheum Dis. 2013 Jul;72(7):1136-40. doi: 10.1136/annrheumdis-2012-201861. Epub 2012 Aug 11. PMID: 22887850